Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Micro Minnie 2106FBS - Hot Water Heater and Water Pump Bypass Locations

We're purchasing a 2018 Mocro Minnie 2106FBS and have a couple of quick questions:
  1. Does this unit come equipped with a hot-water-heater bypass system so we don't fill the heater with antifreeze when winterizing?
  2. Does the unit have a water pump bypass system we can use to draw antifreeze into the to pump to distribute to the water lines?
  3. What are your thoughts on compressed air vs. antifreeze for winterizing? (We're in central North Carolina if that helps.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
qualtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The 2019 2108DS water heater is accessible at the base of the bathroom sink and does have the bypass valves. This model has the 6 gallon tank Atwood water heater. I recall there was a period of time when a tankless heater was used so perhaps the story is different if that is what you are getting.

The water pump is in the base of the kitchen sink and does have the valves and extra hose for winterizing. Hopefully someone can confirm this with your particular model and year.

I won't claim enough experience yet on the blowout vs antifreeze question. I've done both, but always put antifreeze in the traps so you still get that lovely smell. It's made it fine through MN winters. Just make sure ALL the plumbing is accounted for, including the outdoor shower and water inlet check valve. I really should make a list as I'm bound to forget some year....
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualtalk View Post
We're purchasing a 2018 Mocro Minnie 2106FBS and have a couple of quick questions:
  1. Does this unit come equipped with a hot-water-heater bypass system so we don't fill the heater with antifreeze when winterizing?
  2. Does the unit have a water pump bypass system we can use to draw antifreeze into the to pump to distribute to the water lines?
  3. What are your thoughts on compressed air vs. antifreeze for winterizing? (We're in central North Carolina if that helps.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Maybe Google Youtube for winterizing your model. I believe all 2018 Micro's have a 6g water heater (tankless heater was 2016 and earlier). Also have a tube to feed into your antifreeze container using the water pump to drain it.

1. So inspect the inside plumbing to the water heater you will see two valves connected to it - input and output. Close them.
2. Outside, open the heater cover, slowly remove the plastic drain plug with a 15/16" socket. Let it drain. I don't reinstall the plug, just leave it inside the heater cover.
3. Open the fresh tank drain underneath.
4. Open the grey/black dump valves.
5. Open all hot and cold taps including the outside shower, turn the water pump on to flush all fresh water. Shut off the water pump when the taps are sputtering.
6. Close the grey/black dump valves.
7. Open the valve for the winterizing tube, insert tube into the antifreeze container.
8. Turn on the water pump with all the hot and cold taps still open. The first gallon of antifreeze you should see pink coming out.
9. Turn off water pump when the first gallon of antifreeze is drained.
10. Insert winterizing tube into second gallon, turn water pump on and open the inside shower tap along with the other taps still open. This should provide a good solid pink from all taps.
11. Turn off water pump when the second gallon is drained.
12. Insert winterizing tube into third gallon, flush the toilet this time with all other taps still open. Third gallon should ensure you have full pink from all taps, inside and outside shower, toilet. Grey and black tanks should be good.
13. A fourth and fifth gallon if you think it is necessary, then close all taps.
14. Pour antifreeze into the fresh tank until you see pink from the drain valve.
15. Close fresh tank drain valve, close winterizing valve and you're done.

I don't skimp on winterizing. Antifreeze is $5 per gallon, buy eight gallons and drain them if it makes you comfortable.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There is a great video on winterizing using the antifreeze method on YouTube. It is for a 2100BH but all the same bits are hidden somewhere on the other floorplans.

backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Unless you want the taste of the pink fluid for a couple of weeks plus next year, you should use compressed air to blow out your water lines. I abandoned the pink fluid in favor of compressed air several years ago. Be sure to open the drains in your tanks. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Could you please tell me where to pour antifreeze into fresh water tank?
MaggieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I personally don't bother with antifreeze in the freshwater tank. Just open the drain valve as I showed in a photo in your other thread ( https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ou-359115.html ).

You probably should slosh a little antifreeze into the gray and black tanks as I assume they are never quite fully empty. This happens naturally as the antifreeze goes into these tanks as you flush it through your faucets, shower, and toilet.

I don't try to open the gray and black valves, though, for obvious reasons. I suppose doing these steps while at a dump station where you could do that would be optimal, but I doubt I'd ever think of it at the time (especially if someone is waiting for their turn).
Old 10-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Great thanks again! What is your hourly rate for consulting. I owe you millions.������
Old 10-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Two questions:
Is it a good idea to leave damp rid in RV because it will be stored outside with a cover over it?
Do you leave your bedding in the RV?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We've taken out our bedding and did use damp rid this year. We didn't use damp rid last year and all was ok, but maybe that depends on the part of the country you are in.

Some cover their trailers, but it seems most (maybe?) don't. I've seen quite a few saying that the scuffing of the cover over the surface is worse than the anti-UV benefit. I did buy a cover and plan to try it over this winter. I'm torn about it, but I already spent the money, so....

By the way, you'll find there are little drains sticking out along the roof of the camper on both sides. These will probably rip through your cover if you don't do anything about them. I've read some people use a piece of foam pool noodle or foam pipe insulation over these to help prevent this issue. I'm planning to try the insulation approach this year. We left it uncovered last year and it seemed fine. I need to do a better job washing, waxing, and cleaning it up in the spring. Lots to learn!
Old 10-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I’ve read about the gutters and also the ladder may catch on the cover. I’m storing mine in SC on a family members property. Lots of trees and such. So I felt the cover was my best bet. I bought the Winnebago cover on Amazon.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #12
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Unless you want the taste of the pink fluid for a couple of weeks plus next year, you should use compressed air to blow out your water lines. I abandoned the pink fluid in favor of compressed air several years ago. Be sure to open the drains in your tanks. Good luck
Would like to try that myself someday. Think I'll pay my neighbor $20 to do it for me next year.

Tags
cat, heat, heater, water, water heater, water pump