Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 11:28 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Way back when the kids were small....8 and 10 yr old we had a 22 foot 5th wheel camp trailer. We only did boon docking in National Forests. 2 - 12 volt batts and no generator. At the end of a week the batts were dead, fresh water tank dry and holding tanks full. So we went home
Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
2108FBS - 2 x 170W Panels, won't cover everything but will cover a lot.
The 2 x 6V will be about 130LBS of battery on the nose. about 75LBS in addition to what's there now. something to keep in mind. 550LBS (tongue) but will be good capacity.
The battery meter shows battery voltage only, not a bad indicator to start with.
EU2200 is a very nice generator! The EU2200 may not start your air conditioner without a MicroAir EasyStart, depending on how hot it is. If you can swing it go EU3000 without the electric start, still 70LBS but 3000 Watts. Some high load items in your 2108 are Electric Water heater (Can do Propane) , AirCo, Microwave and your coffee maker.
If you really want power without Solar or Generator for 2 weeks.. go 3 x 200AH Lithium.
Wow nice set-up! Was your Micro-Minnie with the new solar prep design or the old one? Would you mind sharing your installation in more details?
Gate68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Hi Phil G. - I do not think the Micro Minnie on-board battery monitor will give you anything other than LED lights indicating full or less than full charge - no numbers of VDC or amps left. So, you'd need digital volt and amp meters installed to do that - probably marine grade. I considered this, but pretty expensive. and, in the end, if the LED lights look like the battery is betting low, or if the furnace isn't working properly, you start up the generator for an hour and charge the system back up. Also, for certain things, like coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave, TV; you start the generator when you know you're going to be using them, as the 12VDC power will not run them. Also, FYI, Honda makes a high altitude carb jet for the generator you mentioned - 5-10k' operations. I purchased and installed, and generator ran real well at all our camping places, 8500' up to 10600'. there were a couple of fall nights where ambient temps were in the twenties, and I had to start the generator at 4 or 5 AM to recharge the battery so the furnace would run. the refrigerator and hot water heater ran perfectly on LP during all boon-docking camping.
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Thank you!, the solar panels are 2 x 170w BougeRV, used their mounting brackets two screws per mounting bracket so you'll end up with 18 holes in the roof. I went Renogy 30A PWM controller with Renogy BT1 Bluetooth, I can see Battery voltage, Solar Voltage and Charge load on my phone.

With the applied Dicor 501 sealant below and over the brackets I have no doubt it will be leak proof for sure, also the warranty on Dicor roof is pretty iffy so I have no problem screwing into it and worry about voiding anything plus piece of mount of a solid structure that won't fly off when driving.

For the solar wiring I went through the Fridge vent on the roof down to cabinet in picture and mounted the charger there, hooked into the battery on the factory charger panel next to it.
This is not ideal as the best route is to go to the battery direct. But... I could not find a good way to get to the battery without ripping the bottom of the trailer open. Did not want to run wire outside or drill an additional hole at the front and go down from there.

The Battery needs to be connected BEFORE the solar, so I added a solar disconnect switch under the sink to accommodate this disconnect plus 20A fuses between the panels and battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	173488   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHRGER.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	173489  

MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote