Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Micro Minnie Murphy bed

Has anyone replaced the horrible mattress? Topper doesn't do the trick.
Lee Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Which Micro Minnie do you have?

Ours is a 2306 early 2020 which uses a regular shaped mattress(ie not split). We went to a local mattress factory and bought a replacement. We love it.
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We hate our Murphy bed. One of the gas pistons broke the second time we used the camper. The split mattress requires Herculean effort to make up. And the bed isn’t long enough for someone my height (6’2”), unless you slide it rearward away from the front bulkhead. The foam is too firm. We do like being able to raise the bed so we can enjoy the added space and comfort of the sofa underneath it.

I read someone cut out the overhead shelf to make room for a normal mattress which can be raised. Anybody else made that mod?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I added a 4" memory foam topper and that was plenty for me, and my dog seemed quite thrilled about the change as well.
vanlifeish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlifeish View Post
I added a 4" memory foam topper and that was plenty for me, and my dog seemed quite thrilled about the change as well.
A topper is a good idea, although I don't have one for my trailer, I purchased a 3" Talalay latex topper for my existing bed 7 years ago and has still retained it's shape and comfort.

Talalay is a natural, organic latex. Advantages are being non-allergenic and cool to sleep on. Highly recommended.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I extended the bed by 3/4" with maple as can be seen in the attached photo. In the photo I had not yet moved the original side strips up into position to meet the corners properly. With the bed a little longer, I plopped a regular full size mattress in place and it works well. It's somewhere between 8-10" thick but that doesn't seem to bother the balance of the mechanism at all.

You don't really have to extend the bed, but if you use a standard full size mattress it will push/bend at the strip on the end. My bet is that the strip will eventually rip off. The strip perhaps isn't needed, but it does cover the steel of the frame, and it may keep the bed from walking off the frame as you are driving down the road! But even if it did, would that really matter? Just push it back in place. Next time I replace the mattress, I'm planning to go this route and use a full XL mattress (extra 5" longer). I think it'll just bump the ceiling.

If you are curious, just pop off the snaps that cover the screws (they really are regular snaps), remove the screws, and take the strip off. If you can think of a way to cover it, or are ok with how it looks, you can go out and get a decent full size mattress and discard the junk mattress that came with the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_134806.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	179744  
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We LOVE the floor plan of our 2018 2108DS including the Murphy bed! It’s the best floor plan of all the MMs! The mattress is better that the thermarest and sleeping bag i use for 40 years HaHa, but we have been thinking of a new mattress. Pmglidden what mattress did you get? My understanding is that it’s a full queen, so we ought to be able to go to any mattress and buy any type of full queen, right?
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Replaced ours

Replaced our mattress with a Costco memory foam mattress (8” Novaform). Just took our first trip with it and it was SUCH an improvement. We figured the Costco one would be a good buy. It was $260 and if it didn’t work, we could return it easily. We kept the old mattress to make sure this was good. We also have a topper for it.
Hope that helps.
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

2108 DS, the first thing I did was change the mattress on the bed, replaced it with a Tulo foam mattress. Absolutely love the mattress and love the Murphy bed. Make sure you travel with the bed down.
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Definitely need to be precise here with questions/replies. There are two Murphy bed designs within the Micro Minnie trailers. Pre August 2020 the whole bed tilted up. After 8/2020 they use a split mattress (two pieces, split across the width of the bed) that you fold up.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
I extended the bed by 3/4" with maple as can be seen in the attached photo. In the photo I had not yet moved the original side strips up into position to meet the corners properly. With the bed a little longer, I plopped a regular full size mattress in place and it works well. It's somewhere between 8-10" thick but that doesn't seem to bother the balance of the mechanism at all.

You don't really have to extend the bed, but if you use a standard full size mattress it will push/bend at the strip on the end. My bet is that the strip will eventually rip off. The strip perhaps isn't needed, but it does cover the steel of the frame, and it may keep the bed from walking off the frame as you are driving down the road! But even if it did, would that really matter? Just push it back in place. Next time I replace the mattress, I'm planning to go this route and use a full XL mattress (extra 5" longer). I think it'll just bump the ceiling.

If you are curious, just pop off the snaps that cover the screws (they really are regular snaps), remove the screws, and take the strip off. If you can think of a way to cover it, or are ok with how it looks, you can go out and get a decent full size mattress and discard the junk mattress that came with the rig.
Almost exactly what I did and I used a foam mattress from WayFair. We don't mind the Murphy bed at all, yes its hard to make the bed but we use the couch for watching tv. Replacing the horse hair and straw mattress was a huge improvement!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I got a Wilderness Mattress for my 2108DS. No more Murphy bed - the LifePo4 battereis live in that unused space. AND I sleep like a baby! Their Montana model in "Plush" is the best mattress I've ever slept on anywhere. I disliked messing around with toppers. Trying to leave them attached while removing/changing sheets got too aggravating. I also put a HyperVent underlay under the mattress for air circulation.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonica View Post
I got a Wilderness Mattress for my 2108DS. No more Murphy bed - the LifePo4 battereis live in that unused space.
Did you end up pulling out the sofa, too? I don't think I'm ready to give up the murphy switchover to sofa, but if you do, the added basement storage could be a nice bonus.

For these kinds of mods I've been trying to keep open the option of going back, mainly for the day when I resell the rig. So that's probably a big factor here -- at least it would be for me.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

@Tinglett, I did remove the sofa. There's a lot of storage where it used to be (a bit hard to get to since the bed no longer lifts). I don't entertain inside much so I don't miss it at all.

My 2108DS is a "new to me" 2019 model. I've learned that once most RVs get a few years under their belt you won't get what you hope for when selling or trading in so I mod it to work best for me.
Amazonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Definitely need to be precise here with questions/replies. There are two Murphy bed designs within the Micro Minnie trailers. Pre August 2020 the whole bed tilted up. After 8/2020 they use a split mattress (two pieces, split across the width of the bed) that you fold up.
This bears repeating. They went from a fantastic Murphy Bed design to one of the worst possible. I had considered a Winnebago with the Murphy Bed until they ruined the design......it was a DOWN GRADE!!! The split mattress design is what you expect in a cheap off brand trailer....not a Winnie!!
What were they thinking???
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
We hate our Murphy bed. One of the gas pistons broke the second time we used the camper. The split mattress requires Herculean effort to make up. And the bed isn’t long enough for someone my height (6’2”), unless you slide it rearward away from the front bulkhead. The foam is too firm. We do like being able to raise the bed so we can enjoy the added space and comfort of the sofa underneath it.

I read someone cut out the overhead shelf to make room for a normal mattress which can be raised. Anybody else made that mod?
I would have to wonder if you cut the overhead shelf if you wouldn't lose structural support. I think that's why just about every trailer you see has either a shelf or cabinets going all across the front wall.......to support the sidewalls.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
This bears repeating. They went from a fantastic Murphy Bed design to one of the worst possible. I had considered a Winnebago with the Murphy Bed until they ruined the design......it was a DOWN GRADE!!! The split mattress design is what you expect in a cheap off brand trailer....not a Winnie!!
What were they thinking???
Wow...I have a 2019 so I'm maybe not quite comprehending what they did. Splitting the mattress sounds like zero value for the customer. Are they just trying to reuse some mattress they use in the bunkhouse, or does it fold differently?

I was absolutely puzzled when I realized that the stock mattress in my 2019 2108ds is 54x74 and a standard full size mattress is 54x75. What were they thinking?! Sounds like they have gone totally off the rails now. I use a standard full now as the extra inch wasn't difficult to deal with as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

I'll look around for a 5" spacer of some kind (box, whatever) and jam it at the head of the bed to see how the bed swings up if it was a full XL, 54x80, mattress. I wouldn't mind it squishing a little into the ceiling for that extra 5".
Old 07-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Wow...I have a 2019 so I'm maybe not quite comprehending what they did. Splitting the mattress sounds like zero value for the customer. Are they just trying to reuse some mattress they use in the bunkhouse, or does it fold differently?

I was absolutely puzzled when I realized that the stock mattress in my 2019 2108ds is 54x74 and a standard full size mattress is 54x75. What were they thinking?! Sounds like they have gone totally off the rails now. I use a standard full now as the extra inch wasn't difficult to deal with as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

I'll look around for a 5" spacer of some kind (box, whatever) and jam it at the head of the bed to see how the bed swings up if it was a full XL, 54x80, mattress. I wouldn't mind it squishing a little into the ceiling for that extra 5".
Go to 11:35 and you'll see what I mean about total FUBAR (is FUBAR okay to use?) F stands for FOULED It seems so appropriate
Ian kind of showed amazement also:
Old 07-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Interesting. My first thought was "ok, those drawers under the sofa are nice!" But then I realized that means space in the basement is now missing. That's already tight enough as it is. But then I see how the bed splits. That solves the storage issue as the head of the bed no longer tips down into the storage bay, so now I also understand why the basement access doors moved forward. But ick...now you get to sleep over that split in the bed?

Reworking the space to be like the 2019's (and earlier) would be very difficult. The fixed part (head) of the new bed setup would need to be cutout into the basement storage area. The pivots and pistons could probably be reworked, but that's assuming the pivot point is in the right spot and the drawers don't need to be completely redone. Yikes.

I can take measurements of the original setup for anyone who wants to mull around the idea of reworking it. But, btw, I don't think the original setup is any easier for making the bed. It's just a tough reach. Still, I bet the original design stays "made" much better when it pivots up/down. This new design must undo the bedding pretty seriously each time you pivot it.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The extra storage is really nice (two drawers under the couch and a nice big pass-through). It's also nice not to lose things off the head of the bed into a cavity... but yes, all-in-all I think I prefer the older bed design. I think they were really focused on improving the storage situation (and they succeeded on that front).