Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Max air Fan Install

I’m thinking of putting a Maxxair fan with built in retractable cover on my new Micro Minnie 1708FB. There is a plain vent mid trailer in front of the air conditioner which I’d like to replace with the Maxxair 10spd unit, however there is no 12v feed lines available at the opening from the factory. Has anyone else installed one of these and if so how did you run power to it without damaging and of the interior roof panels. I could also just put it where the cheap factory 12v fan is installed in the rear bath, but I think it would be more beneficial mid camper. Any thoughts or suggestions?
skeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Given the small size of these trailers, and the interior door allowing for ventilation even when closed, I don't see that mid-trailer is better than in the shower area where it would also help with moisture issues, but both locations would be better than one or the other. I look forward to the responses about power.

As to the doors allowing ventilation I have a rather large boned cat--about 15 pounds, and he can squeeze under the bathroom door when it's closed.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I consider getting wires through the foam in the ceiling to be very difficult with some hazards involved. So how does the idea of surface molding to get to a power source feel to you?
I do not like it as the first choice but do it in some cases, even though DNA says not to!
However, first choice for me its to put it in the bath as I do not like to have the fan noise, even though low, in the less active living space. We use it in the bath and open windows in the direction we want to have the air come in. Normally the shady side is our choice.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree that I don’t want to mess with routing under the ceiling, nor do I want to tape wires onto the ceiling. I think going with their 4speed Maxxair fan and installing it in the bathroom would be the most efficient and practical. It will be much better then the cheap fan that came with the trailer.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Why not then just go overtop? Eternabond the wire to the roof? Of course you still have to pull 12v from someplace (maybe another fan?)
Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

One suggestion - you can get 16 gauge white flat speaker wire that you could hot glue to the ceiling and then down a wall to someplace you can pick up 12 volts. That can easily handle the current and voltage. The fan only draws a max of about 3 amps when running full speed so you can get away tying it in to any 12 volt circuit.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Depending on the age, lights may be incandescent and that leaves lots of option to tie the fan to a nearby light. If it should approach the fusing /wire size limit, changing the bulbs to LED does away with that concern as the LED is so much lower power draw.
Taping to the ceiling is not a very practical thing but some of the super small plastic wire ducts are really nice to screw up on the ceiling as they often match the colors pretty well.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve decided to go with the four speed exhaust only Maxxair fan and put it in the bathroom where it will do the most good.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3613E0B7-8073-4970-A0CB-D76473725639.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	173779
Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetman View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve decided to go with the four speed exhaust only Maxxair fan and put it in the bathroom where it will do the most good.
That's the same one I got! You might be careful if you place it in the bathroom to not have the fan running while flushing the toilet. The Maxxair is so powerful it will pull fumes up from the black tank when you flush.

I had mine installed over the bed by our local RV service center as it was going in for a wheel bearing repack and they fished the wires from the light which was about 12" away. Works great.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the heads up on black tank fume issue with the fan. I did check around the mid trailer vent, the issue with going under the ceiling panel is there is a metal crossbeam right up against the framing for the vent opening. I could do a small exterior channel with wiring to opening but still feel replacing the cheap bathroom 12v vent with the new Maxxair is the way to go. This trailer is small so I’m sure it will vent any hot air quickly pulling it out the rear of the trailer where it will be mounted.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on black tank fume issue with the fan. I did check around the mid trailer vent, the issue with going under the ceiling panel is there is a metal crossbeam right up against the framing for the vent opening. I could do a small exterior channel with wiring to opening but still feel replacing the cheap bathroom 12v vent with the new Maxxair is the way to go. This trailer is small so I’m sure it will vent any hot air quickly pulling it out the rear of the trailer where it will be mounted.
As in many things, we have to compromise on fans. This is where we got to as well. For adding a light, we went with the exposed wire duct, even though I do not like it, but for the fan, changing out the bath fan was the more logical for us.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I put the 10 speed version in my 1808, but opted for the vent in the middle of the trailer for a couple reasons. Mostly I'm not in the bathroom all that much, and usually keep that door closed. To keep the air moving, that door would have to stay open.
The other reason is that having the fan closer to the dinette gives a nice breeze with that window open. I suspect the exhaust would be slightly better near the kitchen when the bacon burns.

As for power, the 1808 has a ceiling light 12 inches from the vent, so I tapped into that.
Overall, it's a great fan and only draws about 3 amps on high.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro1808 View Post
I put the 10 speed version in my 1808, but opted for the vent in the middle of the trailer for a couple reasons. Mostly I'm not in the bathroom all that much, and usually keep that door closed. To keep the air moving, that door would have to stay open..
The doors typically are designed to allow for airflow. My 2106DS has the bottom of the door several inches from the floor. My large cat can get underneath it in a pinch, which is good because that's where his catbox is located. Some trailers have the gap up top.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I’m thinking of putting a Maxxair fan with built in retractable cover on my new Micro Minnie 1708FB. There is a plain vent mid trailer in front of the air conditioner which I’d like to replace with the Maxxair 10spd unit, however there is no 12v feed lines available at the opening from the factory. Has anyone else installed one of these and if so how did you run power to it without damaging and of the interior roof panels. I could also just put it where the cheap factory 12v fan is installed in the rear bath, but I think it would be more beneficial mid camper. Any thoughts or suggestions?
once you remove the existing vent cover/surround you should be able to see some red and white wires that supply the led ceiling lights in the roof cavity. You might need to fish around the insulation a little but they are what I tapped into. I didn't install a maxxair but I did replace the vent with a wannabe cheap imitation fan.
maksiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I installed the 10 Spd Maxair fan last week in my 2018 2108DS. There is a ceiling light just aft of the existing vent opening. I tapped into the electric there and it works fine. Drop the light fixture and drill a hole from the vent hole above the ceiling panel and splice it to the existing light 12VDC power source. Easy peezy.
Goob34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The dealer installed mine, he just tapped into the nearest light fixture for power, running the. wire above the ceiling. Its worked just fine for two years and counting!
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I am planning on buying the 10 speed Maxair for our bedroom vent. I appreciate all the good info in he above posts. Does it move a lot of air? Have you ever pulled with it open and running? The model I am looking at has 2 support arms.

Thanks.
Donzi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Don't think I've ever pulled the camper with it open, not sure if would be okay or not. What I do know is that it was worth every penny and does a great job! Our's is right over the bed, it will blow either direction.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. I just ordered mine!
Donzi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

The dealer just routed the wire to tap into the LED light that's about a foot from the vent.

Tags
fan, install