Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking for photo(s) of 2108DS interior with slide IN

Howdy everyone! We just bought a 2022 2108DS (dinette option) sight unseen. We pick it up in a week or so, and I've become obsessed with figuring out how to make the most of the snug interior before our first trip this spring. (We are "graduating" from an R-Pod, so the Micro Minnie actually seems spacious in comparison!)

I've been scrutinizing all the photos and videos I can find online, but so far haven't seen any good views of the interior with the slide fully in. I understand that the bathroom and fridge are both accessible, but I'd love to see that with my own eyes. Also eager to hear any tips about ways to make the most of the layout.

Wondering if anyone here happens to have a photo/video of the 2108 or similar model with the slide in? I searched some of the galleries here, but couldn't easily find anything!

Looking forward to being a part of this group!

Mike A
Santa Fe, NM
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
Wondering if anyone here happens to have a photo/video of the 2108 or similar model with the slide in? I searched some of the galleries here, but couldn't easily find anything!
Mike, welcome to the group! I didn't have any photos while it was closed up, but it's a nice sunny warm day today (40F -- hey, it's MN!) and was a good excuse to check on the TT anyway. This is a 2019 2108DS which I believe is very close to the current models, though those who own newer should chime in.

Sorry about the mess...I tend to "drop things off" in there during the off season. In the first photo I'm standing on the step looking in. You can see there really isn't much space between the bed and slide. but I can easily step up and in. In the 2nd photo I'm standing on the floor, but right next to the door, and then I moved more inline so you could see down the path.

I wouldn't want to "live" in the TT like this for long, but you can easily get in to sit in the dinette, and you also can get to the bathroom. I'm a pretty big guy and the only real trouble I have walking back into the bathroom is that I'm always doing this with the refrigerator doors propped open like that. With the fridge closed, no problem. Note that the door to the bathroom really does bump into the slide a bit. When traveling you'd have the bathroom door closed, of course.

In the couple years I've owned this TT, I can think of only once when we pulled in the slide while camping, and that was just ahead of a big storm. We thought it might be wise for the heavy downpours that were expected.

Hope that helps!

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220220_113848.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	182046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220220_113907.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	182049  

Name:	20220220_113924.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	182050  
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't know if the slide is electric or hydraulic. If it's hydraulic and you extend it only part way for temporary access, you should fully extend it before retracting. Failing to do so can cause creeping out while closed. I received this advice from azpete, a Winnieowner and an HWH employee. HWH makes the hydraulic slide and jack systems found on many Winnebagos.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine has a Lippert (Schwintech) electric slide mechanism. I have heard to be careful when moving partway out, but didn't know about the hydraulic issues for those types. Even with electric, the slide needs to move far enough for the rubber seal on outside and inside to flop around in the new direction. I can imagine it can get buggered up pretty easy. Also, it gets its alignment across the two sides by reaching the very end (either all in or all out). If you flop around partway in and partway out, I'm sure it'll drift a bit. I try to send all the way in one motion whenever I operate it. So yeah, bumping it out a few inches for a little temporary interior clearance is probably a bad thing.

I should clarify the pictures I posted are with the 2108DS slide all the way in. There is still a little walking room left even with the slide all the way in, which is a nice thing so I can get stuff I forgot in the TT without much trouble.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I never thought about the seal issue but that would be a problem with hydraulic slides as well.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the photos/info, Todd! And also to Bob for the helpful tip about the slide.

We finally went and saw our new TT this morning, and any trepidation about the purchase evaporated immediately. It's beautiful inside and out, and the build quality seems really good. Thanks to this forum, I brought a long list of things to look for (roof bubbling, uncaulked seams in the bathroom, missing pop-up counter extension, etc.) and encountered none of them. We do our full pre-delivery inspection on Friday, and already have a campsite reserved for that night to see how everything works.

For the sake of posterity, in case anyone else looking for the same thing finds this thread in the future, I've attached a photo of the interior of our 2022 2108DS with the slide fully in. It's a tight squeeze for sure, but both the bathroom and fridge are fully accessible. I think the pocket door helps a lot with that.

Really looking forward to continuing to draw on the expertise of this group as we plan a summer of camping in our new TT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2180DS-slide-in.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	182054  
Old 02-22-2022, 03:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tight squeeze getting to bathroom for us old fat guys like me. Can’t open fridge all the way. We’ve slept with slide in.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A couple things that are worth mentioning, when operating the slide, hold the button until it fully stops. Let off early and over time the motors can get out of sync. Also from a post in another group, a letter from Winnebago stated “do not set on the seats when the slide is in”.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
A couple things that are worth mentioning, when operating the slide, hold the button until it fully stops. Let off early and over time the motors can get out of sync. Also from a post in another group, a letter from Winnebago stated “do not set on the seats when the slide is in”.
Does that mean don’t sit in dinette while slide in motion, or don’t sit in it at all when slide is in? We sometimes have to dry camp with slide in, and there’s nowhere else to sit. (One person can sit on bed.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Stolen from the Winnebago MicroMini group on Facebook: looks/sounds authentic to me…

I just got this from Winnebago regarding sitting in the slide while not extended out.

I really thought my yoga blocks was a good idea. Guess not.

Hello David,

I apologize for the delay in my reply, you are very welcome! I reached out to our Engineering team and was told you should not sit in any Winnebago Towable slide out when the slide box is in the retracted position or while the box is being extended out. The supports for the slide boxes are all mounted to the sidewall so when the box is in the retracted position and pressure is being applied, it could damage the slide out mechanism. This is true for the Schwintek end wall and any flush floor in-frame slide boxes. Additionally, we follow Lippert (the slide out manufacturer) and Norco’s (the RV frame manufacturer) installation guidelines for these slides and neither have suggested putting additional supports further into the unit. In fact, both manufacturer’s say to not sit or stand in the slide box until it has been fully extended.

Best regards,
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Inside of ours 2106DS

We are leaving for 6 nights of camping tomorrow in ours. 20 deg nights….brrrr. Here is ours with the slide in. We took out our couch and bought a custom foam mattress. During the day it’s a couch with large pillows. At night, a bed. Just two of us and a dog. He sleeps with us and so….we can’t sleep in the same bed. Dog and human in one, human on the other. Works good. I also took a pic of our backsplash we put in and we replaced both fans with “fantastic air max” fans. Both easy, cheap upgrades I took apart our door built in blinds and flipped it upside down. Reason: we want light to filter in, but still gives us privacy in tight campgrounds. Simple change that didn’t cost any money and makes it nicer. Took all of 10 mins. . Enjoy ur trailer!!! We LOVE ours. Started with a tent-pop up- now this little lady!!! If u have any more questions hit me up on the DM’s.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1F4A39B-FA45-4B01-AEAC-D760E356A8A5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	182090   Click image for larger version

Name:	C6A01373-FFC0-45C9-8D08-F00C3BF23073.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	182091  

Name:	4D241554-0153-4088-9F8C-5F26E166EF6F.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	182092   Click image for larger version

Name:	33C0DA5C-0F25-4287-BB6D-1CA57BF9909F.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	182093  

Name:	F8806D72-A7AE-4669-AA16-D067334EAA92.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	182094   Click image for larger version

Name:	030AE980-5075-4606-953B-4F1CE8DBC333.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	182095  

Name:	592CEA92-BDFE-4B8E-9B7A-B13B98F3410D.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	182096  
JoshBap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:59 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
For the sake of posterity, in case anyone else looking for the same thing finds this thread in the future, I've attached a photo of the interior of our 2022 2108DS with the slide fully in. It's a tight squeeze for sure, but both the bathroom and fridge are fully accessible. I think the pocket door helps a lot with that.
Congrats on your new trailer!

I have a 2020 and wish the pocket door would have been an option.

I surprised that the fridge still has the extended handles as I thought the design was updated for recessed ones. Be aware of the handles either when the slide is in or out. I accidently walked into the lower one and it snapped off, making access to inside the fridge nearly impossible. I purchased two handles, keeping one as a spare.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks @RocknRoll!

I had heard that there were supply chain problems with the 12 V only fridges, so they’ve gone back to propane/110 V. Maybe that explains the difference in handles?

If so, that’s a plus in my opinion since I’d much rather have a propane capable fridge for boondocking. But I will do my best to avoid those handles!
Old 02-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks @RocknRoll!

I had heard that there were supply chain problems with the 12 V only fridges, so they’ve gone back to propane/110 V. Maybe that explains the difference in handles?

If so, that’s a plus in my opinion since I’d much rather have a propane capable fridge for boondocking. But I will do my best to avoid those handles!
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:01 AM   #15
Navy NFO 78

Regarding those frig handles, a note of caution when using the potty during rest breaks... It is EASY to accidently disengage the handle when exiting the trailer with the slideout in. Thus, your next stop you'll find the contents of the frig all over the floor and a complete mess. Recheck the locked frig door as your normal walkthru before locking up.
reiberc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:02 AM   #16
Navy NFO 78

can you give me some details on those fans?
Old 06-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

“ This is true for the Schwintek end wall and any flush floor in-frame slide boxes”
Can anyone explain what flush floor in-frame slide boxes means?
Our 2022 2108ds dinette floor is a step up from the trailer floor. So not flush?
This seems rather important.

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

This video from HaylettRV explains Scwintek pretty good. After watching it, I now know that it’s not a good idea to sit in the dinette while the slide is in:
https://youtu.be/itGeKF6yu1g

We had some small issue with our Shwintek, pilot error. Getting out of bed one night, I inadvertently stepped on the top of the slide surround. Broke it and foot went down into the area below. A bloody mess. Afterwards, with a quick fix using blue tape, the slide now crunches the surround when being moved in or out. That thin piece of luan after it broke on one side, cracked on the other side too. Slide still works ok, but now we are very careful when operating it making sure it doesn’t bind up. Haven’t figured out to make a permanent repair, other than maybe replacing the luan with ply board, and replacing support structure.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thats a great video!
Appreciated!
-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #20
Navy NFO 78

Had issues with loosening of the screws on my rails, causing misalignment, water intrusion around the gaskets when driving in rain, water puddling resulting in trim wood damage under Murphy bed. That pressboard trim just soaks up the water, expands and dissolves leaving the veneer loose. WBGO covered it under warranty after realigning and replacing screws. Note: we drove PA to AZ 4 times... tighten screws more diligently!

Tags
slide