Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Lighting and light shade ideas

I had recently taken a number of photos around my 2108DS and thought I should post a couple things for lighting. The ceiling height is fairly low for someone over 6ft so we came up with this as a solution for the generic LED lights. It's made from two 9 inch metal crafting hoops. I thought I was going to need to make a plastic "bracket" of some sort (i.e., cut from a plastic lid), but turned out the hoop perfectly snapped around these lights. What I like is that the bottom hoop is really floating in the fabric so it's no big deal at all if I hit my head on it .

We made the one over the dinette a little deeper so I don't have that super bright light shining into my eyes. I was trying to think how I might dim it down, but this seems to have solved it "good enough" for me.

And finally, the light in the fume hood over the stove was horribly dim so I replaced it with an LED. I got these from amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THYMKV6. It fits perfectly and doesn't get as hot (I assume less power too) and is actually reasonably bright enough to use! It's not as bright as my ceiling lights, but I think that's simply due to positioning over the stove. Now what do I do with the 9 extras? (I see it's now a 20-pack!)

BTW, my range hood is a Heng's RO423500C and found that T10 921 bulbs are the right fit. I wasn't sure if the large circular size would be ok, but it's just fine.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_104424.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	174141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_104452.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	174142  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_154459_HDR.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	174143   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200625_111914.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	174144  

tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2108 DS as well (2020) and discovered that it does not have reading lights for reading while in bed. We are not tv watchers and need reading lights. The lights closest to the bed are behind our books when in bed and above our knees which does not promote relaxing reading. I'm not crazy about putting in lights that require batteries . . . not sure what we're going to do. Ideas are greatly appreciated.
seredni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seredni View Post
We have a 2108 DS as well (2020) and discovered that it does not have reading lights for reading while in bed. We are not tv watchers and need reading lights. The lights closest to the bed are behind our books when in bed and above our knees which does not promote relaxing reading. I'm not crazy about putting in lights that require batteries . . . not sure what we're going to do. Ideas are greatly appreciated.
That's why my wife and I each have Kindles.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

At least one side of the bed has USB ports and, as a bonus, I found my 2019 2108DS has USB power when the shore power is disconnected. Could you get a USB reading light and stick it to the wall beside the bed?

I have a little Arctic Breeze USB desktop fan stuck to the wall in a similar way. It doesn't get in the way of the murphy bed folding up. I've been thinking about hard wiring it so the cable doesn't need to snake around the side of the bed, but it's been pretty low priority for me to fix as it hasn't yet got wound up into the bed mechanism.

If you need both sides of the bed then maybe it would be best to find a a pair of directed lights that can mount up high and aim down like you have in your car or in an airplane.

Todd
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Is there a cabinet above the head of the bed?
If there is, you may find an ideal solution is to put the bottom layer of the cabinet out as it is a sandwich about one inch thick, giving you an ideal way to get wiring to the edges or rear to reach power. We have small closets on each side of the bed which lead to the floor where I can pick up the power easily by going to the Tv connections at the foot of the bed.
A point to keep in mind when LED is too bright is that the size and number of LED on each array is what changes the amount (lumens) of light, so shopping for smaller and/or fewer will get you the reduction and most are also available in the same base size and shape to fit the fixture.
The LED above have 24 small LED, so getting one with something like 15 LED would be one easy way to change the amount of light. Painting a few black will also cut the overall light output, if you've already got a bunch which are too bright!
A second point is the Kelvin rating which can change the color from super blue/white at 6500 K to a more reddish at 3200 K. Different folks like different for each situation so shopping can get better results just by changing the bulb.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2108DS as well. I found some nice wall mount 12volt led lights at etrailer. The closet walls are hollow so I managed to run wires down through wall and picked up 12 volt off the outlets by the bed. I used a piece of wire mold in the forward section under the head of the bed to get power to the other side.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light