Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leave holding tank heaters on if tanks are empty?

I am a new owner of a Micro Minnie 2108TB travel trailer. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I intend to completely winterize my trailer (blow-out lines, drain tanks, etc.) to be safe, but have a couple questions:

1) I will keep my trailer at my home and plugged in all winter. Even though the holding tanks will be empty, will it be ok if I leave the electric tank heaters "on". I'm told they don't get excessively warm and I thought by leaving them on it would provide a small amount of heat in the trailer to take the edge of any freezing weather we may get.

2) Is it ok if there is a minor amount of water in the fresh water tank and the black & gray water tanks during winter? I'm not sure if I can tell that if get every bit out, and it seems that because the tanks are 25 gallons, a small amount of water might not matter if it froze, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for any help,
-TrailerRat
TrailerRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Ultraheat brand tank heaters I have warn you not to use them without at least enough liquid to cover the bottom of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultraheat.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	184464  
Old 10-17-2022, 07:47 PM   #3
Site Team

I wouldn’t do so. They serve a specific purpose and that’s to protect tanks when you are camping in freezing temperatures. Not really meant to be used while your TT is in storage.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi TrailerRat,
As far as the fresh water tank is concerned, if it is 99% empty, it seems like you should have plenty of room for expansion if the trace amount of water remaining were to freeze. I wouldn't worry about it.
Fantastic moniker - TrailerRat. I am surprised that it wasn't taken already! I wonder if the guy in the picture below can help you winterize?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

... additional ...
I recommend that you use a:
Davis Instruments Air-Dryr 1000 Dryer
It draws 130 watts @ 120 VAC, and it does very well at keeping the inside of the Eagle5 dehumidified. It is very safe too, as if something were to fall upon it, the heater element is shielded away from direct contact.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-18-2022, 03:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You did not say anything about using RV Antifreeze. It sounds like you are not using for the fresh water lines. If thats the case so be it, I would however spend the few dollars and buy a gal and poor down the drain lines. Not sure how you blew the holding tanks out, but by pouring antifreeze down the drain lines you might be saving your waste plumbing system. Open the waste gate values so a trickle of antifreeze gets out. That will help with saving the waste value.
Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the tips & recommendations! Soooo glad I found this forum

creativepart & bigb - thx to you I will NOT use the tank heaters while I store my trailer this winter.

Eagle5 - thx for tip about the air dryer, I intend to look for one on Amazon today!.

be happy - I do intend to put some anti-freeze down the drain lines, but I did not consider opening the waste gate valves so some anti-freeze gets in those, too - great tip!

Thx again,
--TrailerRat
TrailerRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerRat View Post
be happy - I do intend to put some anti-freeze down the drain lines, but I did not consider opening the waste gate valves so some anti-freeze gets in those, too - great tip!
I try to remember to bring a jug of anti-freeze along on my last trip for the season. Then when I hit the dump station I can easily perform this step. Just slosh the juice down into the tank (via toilet) and then close the gate valve when you see the pink. I do the same for gray, and then dump the remainder of that gallon jug evenly in both tanks.

Last year I put some anti-freeze in the fresh tank too, but I've debated about that. In the past I just left the valve open, but if I keep doing that I'd like to add some kind of screen on the output to keep any bugs out.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank