Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Leaking Front Cargo Doors 2019 2106DS

I just did my first real tow of my trailer and noticed water is getting in the front compartment. On the left side the rear latch is not holding the door fully closed and on the right it's the front latch, but it is not quite as loose.

What's odd is there doesn't seem to be any adjustment of the latching mechanisms. I have a simple fix thought up, but before I try it I'll call Winnebago and ask you all if you've seen this and have a solution.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm surprised no one else has had this issue. I called Winnebago today, who said to call my dealer. My dealer said their was no adjustment in/out, only up/down. So I did what I was planning, which was installed some small self-tapping screws on the inside of the catch. I used two washers to hold the heads further in, but I think I'll back them off to one washer. There's still some compression against the weatherstripping, but I think I'd rather have it a bit looser.

I'd post some pictures, but this site doesn't seem to allow that unless it's a link to a web page.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #3
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

Goodspike, upload & post the pictures using the "Go Advanced" and "Manage Attachments" at the bottom of the message box. You may have to edit the image size. I would like to see the fix.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the tip. Here are the pictures. Sorry the one from top is blurry, I took the picture quickly at the end to get out of there. Note I have the screw slot vertical so that it minimizes wear on the latch mechanism.

BTW, one thing I discovered is the latch may not hit the center of the catch. But you can easily put your finger against the latch while the door is almost closed to see the alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch fix inside.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	173047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch fix looking down.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	173048  

Old 03-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, I have the same issue on my 1800BH left side pass through hatch. Found out when I washed it, but suspected it before since the hatch has always been loose. Now I don't have to reinvent the wheel, I will try your approach soon.

Jonathan
90mtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I went down to one washer on each screw and it seems about right. I think it is up against the weatherstripping without compressing it too much. But different units could line up differently. Some might not even be able to handle the screw (assuming they have an issue).

I think in theory this also makes the catch a bit stronger. It's just aluminum and so now the two vertical parts are connected at three points rather than two because the screw tip is pretty much touching the outside vertical.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I went down to one washer on each screw and it seems about right. I think it is up against the weatherstripping without compressing it too much. But different units could line up differently. Some might not even be able to handle the screw (assuming they have an issue).

I think in theory this also makes the catch a bit stronger. It's just aluminum and so now the two vertical parts are connected at three points rather than two because the screw tip is pretty much touching the outside vertical.
Did you pre-drill? What size screws?
Old 03-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
Did you pre-drill? What size screws?
Yes, I pre-drilled and used self-taping screws. The catch is aluminum, so it drills easily. I don't know the size off the top of my head, but they need to be as short as possible. Probably no longer than 3/8ths of an inch.

I do need to buy one more, so I'll try to post the size later. I didn't realize I would need to do both latches on each door and thought I would need three for each latch. I bought 7 thinking I would probably drop one. Turns out I needed 8.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Yes, I pre-drilled and used self-taping screws. The catch is aluminum, so it drills easily. I don't know the size off the top of my head, but they need to be as short as possible. Probably no longer than 3/8ths of an inch.

I do need to buy one more, so I'll try to post the size later. I didn't realize I would need to do both latches on each door and thought I would need three for each latch. I bought 7 thinking I would probably drop one. Turns out I needed 8.
Drill size, screw size, length would be great info. Thanks Goodspike!

I just have a 2020 2306BHS on the drivers side front that looks like it does not seals right.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Our new 30 RLSS had a door that looked like it was not sealing well. I did not notice water intrusion though. Anyway, long story about warranty etc.... We found the door to be warped from side to side. Open the door and set a level across the panel. Mine was higher on the outsides and lower at the latch. Winnebago has a mod kit to fix this problem. It is a heavier piece of metal that is pop riveted to the bottom of the door. It helped.
Donzi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Mine doesn't appear to be warped, it appears to be strictly a latch/catch issue.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Here's a picture of the self-tapping screws I used. The ones in the top left of the box, 6-32 x 3/8. The thickness isn't as important as the depth--3/8ths of an inch. And I think ideally it would have a rounded head like that, but flat, Phillips, Torx should work fine.

The drill just needs to be about the same size as the shaft of the screw, not the threads. Err on the side of being too small, but the catch metal is pretty soft so you can easily drill and easily get the self-tapping screw in if you drilled the hole the right size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-03-16 14.26.05.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	173064  

Tags
door, leak