Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Largest tire on Micro Minnie 2306BHS?

Anyone know the tallest tire I can fit on the 15” rims on my 2306BHS and not have the tires rub each other or the inner fenders? Currently running the stock 235/75/15s. Need more clearance, even with the factory lift.
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What's your clearance issue? Without knowing, my guess would be your problem is more with angles rather than height, or stated differently that increased height isn't going to help your problem with angles. Have the problems been front or back of the trailer's tires?

I have a shorter trailer and don't do any off-road stuff, but my only clearance concerns (as opposed to actual contact) is with the sewer dump. It does seem to hang lower and or further back from the rear tire than I would like.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes it’s the sewer pipe that’s a problem. It’s ridiculously low for bush camping.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
Yes it’s the sewer pipe that’s a problem. It’s ridiculously low for bush camping.
I don't even remember what mine looks like (other than looking problematic for off-road), and obviously have no idea what yours looks like. But would it be possible to reroute the exposed portion further forward, toward the tire? The ability do to that would also be dependent on the location of the valves--again something I don't even remember on my own.

Again I'm thinking of the angles--specifically the departure angle with the sewer dump. And to use an analogy, if you have a pickup truck where the front air dam is hitting, larger tires or even a moderate lift is unlikely to result in sufficient change. The approach angle will still be bad absent somehow changing or removing the air dam.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Anyone know the tallest tire I can fit on the 15” rims on my 2306BHS and not have the tires rub each other or the inner fenders? Currently running the stock 235/75/15s. Need more clearance, even with the factory lift.
Here's a comparison chart for 15" tires https://www.quadratec.com/c/referenc...ize-calculator

You might be able to sneak in an inch taller and a bit wider tire. Ground clearance is a great thing to have. It's possible you can have taller lift blocks fab'd and installed instead of the factory lift blocks.

My 2017 1706fb I paid https://www.merrillauto.com/services/rv-trailer-repair/ for them to install lift blocks on the non-factory-lifted trailer with 14" wheels. $700 labor. I think they were about 1" taller than the factory blocks I have on this 2019 1706fb.

So it's possible to gain more ground clearance, just have to spend money and have quality work done.
SonofBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofBert View Post
I think they were about 1" taller than the factory blocks I have on this 2019 1706fb.
Good post with lots of additional information, but your trailer is significantly shorter than the OP's trailer. I'd question how much of an improvement in departure angle each inch in height gets on a longer trailer. You could easily calculate it with access to the trailer, but I doubt it's much.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
2019 1706fb

Quote:
How many inches ground clearance at the sewer pipe? I have 10.5" at the sewer exit low point on the 1706fb.

The longer trailers like yours with longer overhangs front and rear maybe that's more of a problem. Like you, I'd like to have more clearance.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Good post with lots of additional information, but your trailer is significantly shorter than the OP's trailer. I'd question how much of an improvement in departure angle each inch in height gets on a longer trailer. You could easily calculate it with access to the trailer, but I doubt it's much.
Yeah, it's the approach/breakover/departure angles that cause problems with longer trailers offroad. Mostly departure angle.

Departure angle is why I buy short trailers, less overhang behind the axle(s). Get's a bit difficult trying to sleep four comfortably with a 19' but everything is compromises with RV's.

You want to yank the trailer through gullies, washouts, over rocks, short is good. Then you deal with the lack of sleeping area when you get there.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
How many inches ground clearance at the sewer pipe? I have 10.5" at the sewer exit low point on the 1706fb..
It might also help the OP if you measured the distance back from the center of the rear tire. That way they could compare theirs.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
2019 1706fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
It might also help the OP if you measured the distance back from the center of the rear tire. That way they could compare theirs.
From the back of the rear tire on this 1706fb with 235/75/15's it is 45" to the front edge of the rear bumper. 45" rear overhang is getting to the limit for boondocking, IMO.

The departure angle is the limiting factor, unless you have a lot of lift.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It's not the length of my trailer that is ever really a problem...a 2306 is only a 25' trailer...I've been offroad with longer. The issue is completely involving the sewer pipe. I've been involved in the offroad world for almost 30 years and I know that even gaining a single inch at low points on a vehicle can be the difference between damage and no damage...regardless of departure or approach angles. I'm not even in terrain bad enough to engage my 4 wheel drive on my truck and the sewer pipe height still is an issue.
I will have to look into adding an additional 2" lift block at the axles and maybe one size up in tires I'm thinking....or just live with it this season and do research to find a more suitable trailer for next year.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
2019 1706fb

Quote:
It's not the length of my trailer that is ever really a problem...a 2306 is only a 25' trailer...I've been offroad with longer. The issue is completely involving the sewer pipe. I've been involved in the offroad world for almost 30 years and I know that even gaining a single inch at low points on a vehicle can be the difference between damage and no damage...regardless of departure or approach angles. I'm not even in terrain bad enough to engage my 4 wheel drive on my truck and the sewer pipe height still is an issue.
I will have to look into adding an additional 2" lift block at the axles and maybe one size up in tires I'm thinking....or just live with it this season and do research to find a more suitable trailer for next year.
I've considered shortening the pipes, cutting them down and instead of having a combined exit making it two separate exits for grey and black.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I've considered shortening the pipes, cutting them down and instead of having a combined exit making it two separate exits for grey and black.
I don't like the two exits idea--nice to wash out with grey.

But I again would suggest a re-route if at all possible, if not higher then closer to the rear wheels. The same height further forward would be an improvement.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Etrailer.com has lift kits for travel trailers
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote