Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2023, 09:31 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
I am pondering the utility of a backup camera. Posting specifically to the travel trailer section for responses unique to "our" backing situations. I don't think I particularly care about seeing behind the trailer while in transit?

I can see where knowing how closely you are approaching an obstacle behind you, during backing, would be useful, but is it also helpful when starting the maneuver of backing into a "spot"? Also, I can't imagine it would be of any use on the "blind side" during backing and a spotter would probably still be necessary. and I'm sure there are many things I'm not currently thinking of.

Looking for opinions and recommendations regarding the value of using a backup camera from folks with experience.

Thanks,
- steve
In a nutshell, KNOWING what's behind you is infinitely better than guessing what's behind you. That can be a bacon-saver!
Old 01-15-2023, 10:23 PM   #22
Former Winnebago Class A

Having transitioned from my class A to a travel trailer, I find the back-up camera that I installed quite useful. Apparently everybody, except me, has another person aboard to act as a spotter. I travel with my best buddy, "Marley" the wonder dog, and he's not too good as a spotter, so the camera is very useful when backing into a space, or elsewhere...
Old 01-16-2023, 06:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I backup mostly with mirrors, but the reasons I use the camera in order of priority:
1. Solo backing up to hook up my race car trailer
2. Helps to show when to stop backing up solo in a campsite
3. Ease my angst that my scooter is still on the back on rough roads
CDAVEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

We installed one and I think it's come in handy for a few reasons.

1, sometimes I'm by myself and it's made backing it into the storage spot a whole lot easier. I'm also going to be taking the trailer out by myself sometimes for short trips and I won't have a spotter.

2, even with the enhanced blind spot monitor on the tow vehicle (22 Tundra) it's still nice to see who's cruising around in my blind spot and not paying attention. it's helped with safer lane changes.

3, my wife is a brilliant woman but a terrible spotter. she gets distracted by literally everything else but the trailer.

We went with the halo view and it's easy to keep the LCD up on the dash and out of the way. if I'm on a long stretch of highway, I can just turn it off if it's distracting at all.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We installed one and I think it's come in handy for a few reasons.

1, sometimes I'm by myself and it's made backing it into the storage spot a whole lot easier. I'm also going to be taking the trailer out by myself sometimes for short trips and I won't have a spotter.

2, even with the enhanced blind spot monitor on the tow vehicle (22 Tundra) it's still nice to see who's cruising around in my blind spot and not paying attention. it's helped with safer lane changes.

3, my wife is a brilliant woman but a terrible spotter. she gets distracted by literally everything else but the trailer.

We went with the halo view and it's easy to keep the LCD up on the dash and out of the way. if I'm on a long stretch of highway, I can just turn it off if it's distracting at all.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

On our Eagle we have a rear view camera that is always on, mounted high and aimed at a steep down angle mainly for keeping an eye on the toad. Showed only the first few feet directly behind the RV. Not real useful for backing up.

On our Winnebago View we have a great, high mounted wide angle backup camera that I find extremely useful when backing in especially with trailer attached and or no spotter available.
Click image for larger version

Name:	big view.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	185014
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:06 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately, Winnebago doesn't trust us to not fixate on the rearview camera while driving so it shuts down at 15mph forward speed. As such I added a small Bluetooth unit to monitor the trailer/toad.

Name:	small view.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	185016
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:17 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Rear cameras are great

I doubt it would help much while backing a travel trailer, but I find it invaluable when backing up any of our three vehicles....RAV4, Honda Pilot, Winnebago Travato,each of which have manufacturer installed cameras. It provides a valuable supplement to the rear view mirrors, but it shouldn't be used to the exclusion of the mirrors.

At eighty years, I am a little stiff necked, and I get more information and assistance from the combined camera and mirrors then I would by turning and looking back.

Obviously, at a camp site, there are special issues, and a good spotter is a valuable addition.
ChrisTravato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:20 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Best accessory I have ever added to a TT is my Haloview rear facing camera. When you can see the front of the vehicle you passed so you can pull over confidently, it is like it paid for itself all over again. Not so important on local or rural roads but on Interstate travel especially through large cities it is hard to overstate its value. I don't usually use ours backing into a camp space.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:31 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
Best accessory I have ever added to a TT is my Haloview rear facing camera. When you can see the front of the vehicle you passed so you can pull over confidently, it is like it paid for itself all over again. Not so important on local or rural roads but on Interstate travel especially through large cities it is hard to overstate its value. I don't usually use ours backing into a camp space.
I 100% agree!
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:22 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I probably would not have purchased one, but when we bought our 2100BH in June of 2021 there wasn’t much negotiation to be had, but I did get the dealer to throw in a Voyager back up camera and a recurve 3 WDH. I do like it on the highway to see what’s back there and I have used it a few times to back up in tight spots. Doubt I’d spend a bunch on one. Pro trailer assist on my F-150 is like magic for backing up though. Plus with a Micro Minnie being only 7ft wide you have some pretty good vision with the stock mirrors.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:31 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

FlyingV I have a good set of extended mirrors for the RAM and used to use them a lot because our Minnie is 8' wide. However, after getting the rear view camera system the extended mirrors ride in the back of the truck incase the camera should fail, which it hasn't.
Old 03-05-2023, 06:13 AM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

I just picked up a Hike 171DB. Given the size I didn't think I would need a camera, until I got to the storage place and I had to back up into a spot in between two other trailers. My wife did a great job spotting, but I'm ordering a camera today. It would have taken me an hour to get in such a tight spot.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:28 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss68 View Post
Unfortunately, Winnebago doesn't trust us to not fixate on the rearview camera while driving so it shuts down at 15mph forward speed. As such I added a small Bluetooth unit to monitor the trailer/toad.
Attachment 185016
This must be model specific? On 2019 29ve, the rear camera is forced ON when in reverse, and you can optionally tell it to stay ON when driving. I use when in rush hour traffic or when pulling a U - haul trailer. If I ever complete a toad setup I may use even more. It is Pioneer radio. The Back-up camera input enables you to add a reverse (rear facing) camera that can assist with rear visibility, towing, or parking.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:30 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Good idea to get the camera system Charrito. If you haven't ordered yet I highly recommend this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-05-2023, 07:01 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrito View Post
I just picked up a Hike 171DB. Given the size I didn't think I would need a camera, until I got to the storage place and I had to back up into a spot in between two other trailers. My wife did a great job spotting, but I'm ordering a camera today. It would have taken me an hour to get in such a tight spot.
Better to have and not need, than the need and NOT have.

For some rear parking, my wife gets stressed trying to spot the RV. I get way too close to things for her comfort level. i.e. she may stop me and I get out and see I can closer. It can be harder to restart that same flow and direction in reverse. I use side mirrors, rear cameras and eyeballs when needed.

Rear Cameras are like Coffee or a Cold Beer. No Coffee / Cold Beer... No Peace
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220925_160321_rotated.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	185331   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220925_160527_rotated.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	185332  

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

I don't use ours as much as I thought I would, but I suggest it's a great tool to have even if you don't use it much, than to really need one and not have it.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #38
Lauri & Joe

A good spotter is great asset.

I have a spotter... and a backup camera.

You may draw your own conclusions. ;-}
ZottHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZottHart View Post
A good spotter is great asset.

I have a spotter... and a backup camera.

You may draw your own conclusions. ;-}
Both are very important in their on way.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:57 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

On our recent 2 month trip, I made the mistake of backing up without spotter as we were departing one of our campsites, using just the rear view camera. My dw was busy with other stuff. Result was a bent ladder because I couldn’t see the low hanging tree branch in the camera’s view. Stupid eh? I must of gotten more stupid when we got home as I backed the trailer into its normal parking space as I’ve done many times without a spotter. Well some foliage had grown and changed my backup pattern just enough that I knocked over one of the dw’s raised gardening plots. Stupid grows with age. Must of been because I had another 70 something birthday and lost more brain cells. She doesn’t know it, so please don’t tell her.

Tags
camera