Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

In the process of looking to purchase a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS or 2016FBS

We are looking at purchasing one of the floor plans and I'm just curious why current owners chose either one of them and if they had to do it over again would they choose the other model.
robertrear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Coincidentally I was just looking at the floorplans again today. Between those two that is easy--the Murphy bed wins out day in and day out. When you're dealing with less than 200 square feet a bed takes up a ton of space. Getting it out of the way is nice.

BTW, the 2106DS is apparently being discontinued with them adding a couch/slider option to the 2108DS. I much prefer the couch to the dinette because it makes a shallower slider and we don't really need a dinette. It would mainly be used for storing stuff on the floor out of the way, and that probably isn't good for the slider.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The only concern for us was the bed size one being a Queen and the other being a Full but again it's only six inches but over time living in one for a short period of time vs full time I'm thinking the advatage of not having a bed basically in the middle of your small camper would win out.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You've asked a good question. It seems like the answer would be highly dependent on your personal preferences. The 2106 models are dealer stock only at this point. All of the new 2108 models can now be ordered with the couch instead of the dinette...so you can keep the couch and have the ability to choose murphy, queen, or twin/king options for the bed. My preference is the twin bed setup. Each person can have their own mattress firmness. I tend to spend my time mostly outside the trailer so interior seating is not a high priority. The Murphy would give you another place to sit on rainy days if you don't like sitting on the bed, but it will be narrower and harder to dial-in the mattress comfort (split mattress).

It's great to have choices since everyone is different. I hope you get some useful feedback from owners. Note that the nominal cargo capacity is different for the new 2108 models (860 to 1000 lbs now).
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We don't plan on spending a whole lot in are RV as well but my girlfriend does work remotely and I do photography so we would be working at the same time with laptops at times and of course being stuck inside durning weather events.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Queen or Murphy

We went with the 2017 2106FBS, the queen bed which has side room to get in and out and the sofa with portable dinette table. We only use the dinette if bad weather as you will be eating outside almost predominantly. Plus we don't spend much time inside except for watching TV before going to bed. But doesn't make much difference now as my wife said she is "retiring" from camping so it's for sale.
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2020 2108Ds w/a Murphy. We liked the idea of getting it out of the way when not using. Would rather have additional lounge type chairs in place if the dinette slide out but we make it work. We like the idea of being able to comfortably spend more time than usual inside during sometimes unpredictable Ohio weather.
Mono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

how useful is the jackknife as a bed? long enough for adults? winnebago website does not hav measurements.
55ahdrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We like it pretty well for an RV bed mattress. Fits me well but I’m 5’9’ 170. I think I have a good 10-12 inches of room before my feet would hit the edge. My wife is smaller so she’s definitely ok with it.
Again, really nice as a space saver. If I recall we purchased the mattress upgrade also.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2019 2108DS and can say my wife and I use the dinette and sofa all the time. Everyone is different, I guess.

I replaced the junk murphy mattress with a standard full mattress which meant I had to extend the length of the bed about an inch. I posted on some thread recently showing that. I'm 6'1" and the bed works ok for me. The mattress is very thick now (maybe 10" with an egg carton top) and still pivots up/down easily.

Perhaps a more useful comment in case you haven't been in one of these often is that there really isn't any space to stand next to the bed. That's an "end table" space that's really the entrance space to the external cargo space. I don't know if that's true in the 2020 2108DS but I believe it's very likely. I wonder if this is different for the FBS variant? Can you stand by the bed (i.e., to help make the bed)?
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Nope. Same setup in the 2020. It’s a pain at times but something we’ve gotten used to. Definitely better than the slim entry way I’ve seen in some bed areas of similar TT’s.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We were looking at a used 2016DS with a 54 x 74 murphy and a jackknife sofa but i think the sofa was probably too short for adults. Good to know that you can put an upgraded mattress (and egg crate!) on the murphy platform and have it still close up OK. Overall I think the better candidate for us will be 2108TB. Thinking to switch out the winnebago mattresses for two better quality twin XL mattresses (39x75). Plenty of room at the end of the bed for feet to dangle over edge. The dinette in the 2108TB is 72 inches long. Not brilliant for adults but good enough. Thanks everyone.
55ahdrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55ahdrn View Post
Overall I think the better candidate for us will be 2108TB. Thinking to switch out the winnebago mattresses for two better quality twin XL mattresses (39x75). Plenty of room at the end of the bed for feet to dangle over edge. The dinette in the 2108TB is 72 inches long. Not brilliant for adults but good enough. Thanks everyone.
In another thread someone pointed out they went the TB route and extended the bed on the non-entrance side. Seemed like a great idea to me.

Extending the murphy bed to full length is pretty easy. You could just plop the mattress in place with no mods, but it'll bend the vinyl-wrapped edge a bit. I figured over time that edge would break and look ugly so I inserted wood in-between. The TB might be similar.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

It is worth noting that the 2021B models of the 2108DS have a new Murphy bed design. It is no-longer a single-piece mattress. The mattress is split across the center into two sections (that are loose) and it must be folded up into the space over the top of the pass-through storage. This allows the storage to be larger and it allows for the inclusion of interior cabinets/drawers that were not there in the 2021A models. It will, however, complicate mattress upgrades and it will undoubtedly be more hassle to switch modes.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Having the murphy bed give you a couch with a straight on view of the TV which is a plus. You will find with either bed a super low quality mattress which will have to be replaced in a short time. We went from the 2106 to a Minnie Plus which also had a piece of junk they called a mattress.
hodo58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, winnebago