Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

ideas for moving spare tire to top of bumper

Hi,

My 2022 Micro Minnie comes with the 150lbs accessory hitch, which I would like to use for a 2-bike carrier. Now the way the spare is mounted it interferes pretty badly with the bikes and I can;t fold the carrier up at al. I already moved the spare a bit to the side out of the way, but any further and it will block the license plate.

I already had to extend the receiver by 6'' using a 1 1/4'' to 2'' adapter, but that still was not enough. I think there are 12'' adapter, but all that length creates quite a lever, which is not nice on a bumpy road and might damage the carrier or bikes

So, I was hoping to move the spare from hanging off the bumper to be stored on top of the bumper like in this thread. I looked around online, but couldn't find anything similar. Anyone has a lead or done the same to their trailer without custom welding?

Alternatively, are there any other good ways to store the spare that do not require me to weld anything to frame? Otherwise, I might just throw it into the bed of the truck, whenever I carry bikes.

thanks for your ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	183730  
towlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
Site Team

You should be aware that mounting a bike rack on your bumper is risky and it is common for the bike rack to fail when mounted that way. Also, as you mentioned moving the rack rearward creates even greater risk of failure.

Unless you purchased a rack that was approved for the rear of a TT it’s very likely that the rack you have is not designed for this use because the vast majority of bike racks expressly state this warning.

Racks failing while under way can not only ruin bikes and damage your RV but can cause major accidents.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If OP hitch receiver on rear of his MM is OEM, he should be fine with two bikes on a rack. However, the MM is sensitive to added rear weight, which takes weight off the tongue. Even with WDH/anti-sway, you’ve gotta keep at least 12% of wet weight on the tongue, or it can get squirrely, especially if you haven’t emptied the waste tanks, which are behind the axles. Rebalancing (adding tongue weight) can be accomplished by carrying fresh water, loading the pass-thru with heavier gear, or by mounting the spare under the tongue frame below the battery box using a truck style “spare winch”. I don’t use one, but some folks have posted pictures in the past. This device would solve OPs issue of the spare being in the way of the bikes, and simultaneously add compensating weight to the tongue.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Here’s a short video of the spare tire hoist:
https://youtu.be/fOfKJUxuesM
Old 08-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebagel

I struggled with the rebalanced weight issue as well. We have a frame mounted receiver hitch on our 2100BH that we use to carry two bikes (using the 1Up Super Duty carrier).

After I did my lithium install, I simply mounted my spare tire on the A-frame directly behind my propane tanks. Tight fit, but works great.
jwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I would probably balance it by adding heavier stuff to the passthrough compartment, so I should be fine from that end. In the worst case, I can always take of the spare and throw it in there too, thus rebalancing.

As marine said, this is an OEM hitch and rated for 150lbs, so two bikes and the rack should stay well within that limit. Is it ideal? No, but most other options (truck bed rack, tongue mounted etc) come with their own limitations or cost.

I was looking at the big open space under the pass through and was wondering how to use that area for the spare. I will have to see by how much that will drop my ground clearance though.

Thanks for the replies.
towlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by towlife View Post
I was looking at the big open space under the pass through and was wondering how to use that area for the spare. I will have to see by how much that will drop my ground clearance though.
That's where I mounted my spare using a BAL Retract-A-Spare Tire Mount.

Here's a link to my previous post.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
mounting the spare under the tongue frame below the battery box using a truck style “spare winch”. I don’t use one, but some folks have posted pictures in the past. This device would solve OPs issue of the spare being in the way of the bikes, and simultaneously add compensating weight to the tongue.
My post on relocating the spare tire to under the tongue is here:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ue-360779.html

@towlife: The hitch may withstand 150 lbs, but that is most likely direct, stationary force. IMHO, I do not recommend
Old 08-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you mount a spare on the rear bumper or on the tongue of the trailer be sure to protect the tire from the heat of the sun. You will be baking the life out of the tire. The temperature of an exposed tire is 30 to 40 degrees higher than one shielded from sunlight. This can reduce tire life by a factor of 4 times. I have published the test data on my RVTireSafety blog.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:59 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Follow OrangeMinnies lead.

Yes will require rewelding the current mounting tube to a plate that the ubolts can secure to.

Cut the welds to remove the mounting plate from the square tube, then reweld the square base to the bottom of the tube. If you don't have enough height you can slide a short length of tubing over the OEM square to get whatever height you need, then weld it in place.

Any welding shop could complete this task is less than an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idea5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	183916