Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How not to get locked in

Hi, new to TTing here. I read a post on another forum that kinda scared me. It noted that I could get locked in my minnie winnie just by someone moving the assist handle over the door. Sheesh. What would I do then? How would I get out other than the escape window which is a long way from the ground?
How can this be prevented??
Thanks
bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Amazing problem. I didn’t know this could happen. I’m searching the net right now.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just found this. Just push hard and it snaps open. It’s a RV myth but you had me going for a minute
Old 01-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

well I will have to try that. Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Can you imagine the lawsuit and subsequent recall if that was true that the assist handle could lock you in? In a fire, that would be disastrous. Unless, it’s broken...
Old 01-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

And remember that it may be a long drop to the ground but a broken foot or leg is a lot better than being toasted in an RV. Also if you do have to go out the fire escape, toss the bed comforter over the edge of the window sill to keep the belly or rump from getting all scratched up.

The doors I have can lock you out faster than you can say "click." Big hands can push the lock latch down that fast and bang, door closes and you have locked it. Been there done that twice but the saving grace was DW was still inside. I picked up a realtors lock box and attached it in the propane compartment.

As far as getting locked in it would have to be the fire escape window. All other windows are very small and even a 2 year old couldn't get out one.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post

I just found this. Just push hard and it snaps open. It’s a RV myth but you had me going for a minute
I just tried pulling on mine without lifting, and it did not feel like it was going to open without tearing out the mounting screws. It did not open easily like the video at all, even with the extra leverage of the handle. No way are you going to push it open from the inside. My handle is made by CAMCO, and while it is similar to the second one in the video, the locking tabs are taller and have a vertical wall that does not act as a cam to lift and unlock the handle.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:11 AM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
I just tried pulling on mine without lifting, and it did not feel like it was going to open without tearing out the mounting screws. It did not open easily like the video at all, even with the extra leverage of the handle. No way are you going to push it open from the inside. My handle is made by CAMCO, and while it is similar to the second one in the video, the locking tabs are taller and have a vertical wall that does not act as a cam to lift and unlock the handle.
Interesting. Could it be that as these handles get older, (or weathered), they do not open as easily without being lubricated?
Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
I had the same experience pulling from the outside. Possibly because I was pulling in a downward motion. I had my wife lock me in and it opened easily from the inside by putting pressure on the door.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Looking at the video I have a question. If the holes for the screws would all match what about turning the grab rail around so it folds towards the rear?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Mine goes both ways already. Yours may as well.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
Mine goes both ways already.
Same here. The grab rail that is. But tried again and no go opening from inside.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If it goes both ways than the possibility of some unfit passerby would push it over the door. If it only went one way - toward the back it would alleviate that problem.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We had issues with our Travel Trailer a few years ago, but not with the grab handle. The double lock jammed and we were unable to open the door. Tools were in an outside compartment, of course. I was able to get out through the exit window, but once I was out the dog was frantic to be out too. I dragged the table round tip the side, and my husband somehow managed to manoeuvre a 90lb dog through the window! Even with tools, the lock would not open and we had to call a locksmith. Screws had shaken loose in travel.
Katy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

If it is difficult to push the grab handle open, you probably could use a fine file and make the locking notch more ramped.
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Old Navy for posting the video. I was wondering this very same thing when I was parked overnight at a truck stop. Super narrow spots and was wondering if someone folded my handle in to get by whether I'd be able to get out. Thank you for the peace of mind!
😊
Amazonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonica View Post
Thank you Old Navy for posting the video. I was wondering this very same thing when I was parked overnight at a truck stop. Super narrow spots and was wondering if someone folded my handle in to get by whether I'd be able to get out. Thank you for the peace of mind!
😊
That was pj48009 who posted the video. Mine doesn't open like that, so it's a "your mileage may vary" situation. Fortunately, I have two doors and the front door does not have a folding grab handle.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy2 View Post
We had issues with our Travel Trailer a few years ago, but not with the grab handle. The double lock jammed and we were unable to open the door. Tools were in an outside compartment, of course. I was able to get out through the exit window, but once I was out the dog was frantic to be out too. I dragged the table round tip the side, and my husband somehow managed to manoeuvre a 90lb dog through the window! Even with tools, the lock would not open and we had to call a locksmith. Screws had shaken loose in travel.

Had a similar problem when camped on the Nova Scotia coast a few years ago.

Door jammed when I was going to take the dogs out about 11 PM. Was able to get attention of some other campers who moved a table under my drivers side window.

Next day I took bolts out of door. Still no go. Had to have someone saw the lock apart.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I recollect reading a post a few years ago where someone was locked in by their folding grab rail. After they were assisted in their escape they put a pin in the bracket so it would only fold away from the door.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

OK I finally got around to trying this on my TT. It is new and I have to tell you you cannot get out from the inside if the grab handle is folded over the door. I cant even rotate the grab handle from the outside without lifting it. I need to mod it somehow to make it escapable. This is SCARRY.