Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2023, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help with wi-fi prep 2023 Micro Minnie 2108TB

My TT came equipped with King "Wi-Fi" prep. After communicating with CS I still don't understand the connections (I don't think they do either). The attached photo I called the "connections panel" is located on top of the TV compartment. Does anyone have experience with this?

I used a thin wire probe to search for something in the hole under the "King" marked cover. There isn't anything there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Connections panel, copy - with text.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	186196  
Old 06-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s just to get you to buy a King Connect router and maybe their roof antenna. It’s a marketing ploy that sells King gear and lets Winnebago claim they have WiFi tech on your TT.

Here’s what King want to sell you:

https://kingconnect.com/wifi-prewire

It’s like “solar prep” you don’t have WiFi or solar but this sounds good in the brochure.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s just to get you to buy a King Connect router and maybe their roof antenna. It’s a marketing ploy that sells King gear and lets Winnebago claim they have WiFi tech on your TT.
Thank you, creativepart.

I'll give them a-not-so-friendly call this afternoon. (It's okay, they're used to it.) I'll let them know we trade frequently and those companies that use "creative" marketing are moved to the bottom of the list. (I don't think they care about that either.)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Team

The folks on the phones have zero connection to the folks that agreed to this "marketing partnership." It's likely they get some reduced pricing on the King TV antenna that they have to buy to put on your TT. Or some other incentive to participate. As you can see from that page I linked to, other manufacturers are doing this with King as well.

Also, Winegard has the same kind of scheme going with other manufacturers, too.

It's the way things work. Fighting against global marketing is tilting at windmills. I was in marketing and advertising for 30 years. And, even I think it's "marketing" that makes everything kind of sleazy.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
The folks on the phones have zero connection to the folks that agreed to this "marketing partnership." It's likely they get some reduced pricing on the King TV antenna that they have to buy to put on your TT. Or some other incentive to participate. As you can see from that page I linked to, other manufacturers are doing this with King as well.

Also, Winegard has the same kind of scheme going with other manufacturers, too.

It's the way things work. Fighting against global marketing is tilting at windmills. I was in marketing and advertising for 30 years. And, even I think it's "marketing" that makes everything kind of sleazy.
... interesting. I didn't really expect to solve anything. I just want them to know when they serve us crap, don't call it roast beef.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my TT, removing the cover reveals a plastic junction box with about 2 feet of coiled coax terminated with an RP-SMA male connector. This junction box is almost directly beneath the TV antenna. The TV antenna base has a knockout to run the cable out of. The coax looks like RG-174 (about half the diameter of RG-58), but isn't marked that I can see. I would have to open the TV antenna to see the connector inside, but the pics I've seen look like an SMB male.

I don't see myself adding a wi-fi booster, but if I decide to run coax to the roof, I would use the cable to pull my new cable to the TV antenna base and run it through the existing knockout.

edited to add, it sounds like someone at the factory got lazy and skipped the "prep".
Old 06-07-2023, 04:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
On my TT, removing the cover reveals a plastic junction box with about 2 feet of coiled coax terminated with an RP-SMA male connector. This junction box is almost directly beneath the TV antenna. The TV antenna base has a knockout to run the cable out of. The coax looks like RG-174 (about half the diameter of RG-58), but isn't marked that I can see. I would have to open the TV antenna to see the connector inside, but the pics I've seen look like an SMB male.

I don't see myself adding a wi-fi booster, but if I decide to run coax to the roof, I would use the cable to pull my new cable to the TV antenna base and run it through the existing knockout.

edited to add, it sounds like someone at the factory got lazy and skipped the "prep".
Thank you for reply Old Navy. I didn't see it until this morning. (BTW, I'm old Navy, too.)

I'm sure I'll find the same thing when I get the covers off, and it's easy to agree with your ... skipped the "prep" comment.

Edit: I've got by in the past with a Verizon mobile hot spot and will do the same again. We recently had a Winegard that would accept a Verizon SIM card, and that spoiled me.