Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question greasing bearings any one run in to this problem ?

I purchased a grease gun to grease the wheel bearings on my winnebago travel trailer.After plugging the gun onto the grease fitting, to detach it from the fitting I had to beat it off with a hammer. Has any one run in to this problem ? Thanks
winnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually taking it off at an angle will work. The grease gun is made to hold tight when at an angle straight on to the fitting. Read the post I made today, above about greasing wheel bearings with a grease gun. Not a good idea.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I just spent 2 1/2 hours sitting on my driveway repacking the wheel bearings on my Minnie. Using the grease gun will force grease past your grease seal and into brake assembly. It's best to pick a pretty Spring day and repack them at least every other year. Good chance to inspect the brakes too. I do mine annually because we put a lot of miles on it.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You are right Bob, repacking with a grease gun can get you in a world of problem with your brakes. I also like to wash the bearings in solvent and inspect the bearings and races as well as the brake shoes. A good source of grease seals is etrailer.com.

Bob there is a Winnebago Minnie Rally in Huntsville, AL November the 8th - 11th that Joyce and I will be attending. I think 30 folks with Minnies have reserved sites so far. It is called Minnies on the Mountain and is sponsored by one of the Facebook groups.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Bob there is a Winnebago Minnie Rally in Huntsville, AL November the 8th - 11th that Joyce and I will be attending. I think 30 folks with Minnies have reserved sites so far. It is called Minnies on the Mountain and is sponsored by one of the Facebook groups.
That sounds interesting. I'll look round and see if I can find some information. I don't normally do the Book of Faces. Is there a website?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Bob here is a link to the Facebook website: https://www.facebook.com/groups/6842...location=group
Here is a link to the State Park: https://www.alapark.com/monte-sano-s...L5BzHU7QpGi2WI
If you should make reservations tell them that is with Mark Hubbs group.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Garbage coupler on the grease gun. A Lincoln 3 jaw coupler won't have that problem.

Bill
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Grease gun warning

I understand the risk of forcing grease out the rear seal and screwing up the brake assembly when greasing the wheel bearings, but why do manufacturers then provide the zerk fitting? How-to videos make this appear to be a simple DIY project, yet previous comments make it sound foolhardy. Is this just a matter of using the right grease gun and amount of pressure?
jnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Re: Stuck grease gun fitting

Had the same problem with my new grease gun. I found that loosening the end of the coupling allows the coupling to release much easier. The knurled end of the coupler should unscrew.

The other comment about the coupler being cheaply made is likely correct. Never had that on any of the very many couplers I have used before.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:33 AM   #10
Happy Camper

I don't know who decided it was a good idea to design buddy bearings (which is what you have and so many others have) but they are terrible. Too easy to over pack the bearings and blow out the inner seal. Blow out that seal and the grease will go away without you knowing it and can mean the the entire wheel can come off running down the highway. False security IMO. Annually buy new seals and clean and repack your trailer bearings. This gives you a chance to inspect the bearings and seals and get the bearings properly greased. A bit messy but it doesn't take a lot of time, no special tools and you know for sure that it's done correctly. Just two cents from and old sailor... Pat
Old 04-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I greased mine using the fitting and following the manufacturers manual. Almost a thousand miles later and no problem. There was a problem with back seals getting blown out, so if your trailer is older, beware. We have a 2019 though, so I was willing to follow the instructions. I'll add that Lippert (the manufacturer) specifically states you must replace the seals if you remove the hubs -- might be related to what they did to fix the blow-out problem.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I just spent 2 1/2 hours sitting on my driveway repacking the wheel bearings on my Minnie. Using the grease gun will force grease past your grease seal and into brake assembly. It's best to pick a pretty Spring day and repack them at least every other year. Good chance to inspect the brakes too. I do mine annually because we put a lot of miles on it.
X2,X3,X4,X5,X6

If you have "ez-lube" axles............throw that grease gun away! As stated above adding grease like that is a sure way for you to spend major bucks for brake issues which then you will be paying someone to grease and repack your bearings the old fashioned correct way.
If you don't feel comfortable learning or doing it yourself by all means hire a mechanic that knows what they're doing to do it for you. Otherwise there are many YouTube instructionals on how to do it.
Great time to make sure you have the best running gear and have Timkin bearings and related parts put in. Save your old set for a back-up emergency set.
Repacking and redoing your own axles is not hard at all to do once you learn how. If I can do it...........you can also
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Check this video

It explains what happens with Dexter EZ Lube axles when you apply grease. The old grease come out the front of the cap, NOT the rear seal.

The problem referenced by others has to do with "Bearing Buddy" lube systems, which are designed for boat trailer axles without brakes.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Looks great to me!
ScopeDope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by prclark View Post
I don't know who decided it was a good idea to design buddy bearings (which is what you have and so many others have) but they are terrible. Too easy to over pack the bearings and blow out the inner seal.
Wrong, and false.
The Dexter EZ-Lube design is nothing like the replaceable grease cap Bearing Buddies. There is a special seal with dual lips and a reinforcing spring, along with internal grease passages that guide the grease to the rear bearings before it comes out the front seal spacer. The secret to make it work is to lift the axle and slowly spin the wheel while injecting the grease.

The Bearing Buddies are truly a waste of time - but don't confuse the EZ-Lube style with the bang-on junk grease covers available out there.

Check out this link: https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/videos/e-z-lube-system

I don't work for Dexter, nor do I own any of their stock. I have used their products, safely, for many years though. When you haul heavy loads of hay or tractors on your dovetail, greasing is important. I also had those type on the last big stock trailer we ran, on our current stock trailer, and the last two fifth wheels we owned.

ETA - Oh, I see that another person beat me to it.
I have had to replace the double-lip seals in the past though. There is only so much heat that they'll withstand before they melt. One hung brake magnet and you will know what I mean......
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Bunny View Post
Check this video

It explains what happens with Dexter EZ Lube axles when you apply grease. The old grease come out the front of the cap, NOT the rear seal.

The problem referenced by others has to do with "Bearing Buddy" lube systems, which are designed for boat trailer axles without brakes.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Worth a watch:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The following is copied directly from the Dexter service manual:
E-Z Lube®
Lubrication
The procedure is as follows:
1. Remove the rubber plug from the end of the grease cap.
2. Place a standard manual grease gun onto the grease fitting located in
the end of the spindle. Make sure the grease gun nozzle is fully engaged
on the fitting.
3. While rotating the hub, pump grease slowly into the fitting. The old
displaced grease will begin to flow back out the cap around the grease
gun nozzle.
Hubs/Drums/Bearings
-58-
4. When the new clean grease is observed, remove the grease gun, wipe off
any excess, and replace the rubber plug in the cap.
5. Rotate hub or drum while adding grease.
Note: The E-Z Lube®
feature is designed to allow immersion in water.
Axles not equipped with E-Z Lube®
are not designed for immersion and
bearings should be repacked after each immersion. If hubs are removed
from an axle with the E-Z Lube®
feature, it is imperative that the seals be
replaced BEFORE bearing lubrication. Otherwise, the chance of grease
getting on brake linings is greatly increased.
Note: Dexter strongly recommends not using pneumatic powered grease
guns as these can inject grease too fast and force grease past the seal,
or in rare cases dislodge the seal.

I didn't see anything in here about "Emergency Only". My own take is that the company which manufactured the axle probably knows how to maintain it.
Just Sayin'

Steve
Old 05-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

But they're also the ones that will sell replacement parts upon failure. Then you also get to pay for brakes labor etc.
Best to listen to the guys that sell the trailers with "EZ Lube axles. It's not hard to repack the old fashioned way to make sure it's right.
Another view from a Dealer who sells and works on trailers with "EZ-Lube Axles.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
But they're also the ones that will sell replacement parts upon failure. Then you also get to pay for brakes labor etc.
Best to listen to the guys that sell the trailers with "EZ Lube axles. It's not hard to repack the old fashioned way to make sure it's right.
Another view from a Dealer who sells and works on trailers with "EZ-Lube Axles.
Well, if he'd have been right about where the grease goes, then maybe he would have had a credible video.

Looks to me like a dealer trying to sell their axle service.

Have you ever seen the double-lip spring reinforced seal used for this application? The only time I've ever had one fail is when it melted from a locked (dragging) brake magnet which pretty much cooked everything in the hub. People that blow this seal out are probably not following the directions. Always use a hand pumped grease gun, and lift the wheel and turn it while injecting grease.

Yes, it's true that packing bearings the old fashioned way isn't too terribly difficult and doesn't require much technical knowledge or mechanical skill. But, if there's a better, easier and just as effective way - why not use it? I have repacked a lot of bearings in my life. Growing up in the farm and ranch belt in central Texas teaches young boys how to do things like that. I was really excited when I saw the first EZ Lube axles hit the street. Over time I have converted nearly every trailer we have to those. The only ones not converted are the hay buggy, the seed drill and a small 4X7 trailer we haul behind the Jeeps.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I didn’t watch the video, but EZ Lube hubs have to be spinning when grease is being added. It isn’t hard to do one wheel at a time using one of those drive on jack stands.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote