Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Gray and black tanks

I have a 2018 micro Minnie 2106ds. The black and gray full / empty tank indicators are extremely unreliable. In fact the last time we emptied the black tank the gauge still read full. Do you have any advice on correcting the situation?
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have tank rinsers? We have one on our black tank that we use every so often when dumping. The one linked below is pretty easy to install if you can see the side of the tank. Just be sure you have clearance as this spins inside the tank. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...9Y2JX3W2M3A46P

We also use a mixture of Liquid dishwasher detergent (any brand) and Calgon to clean the tanks and keep the sensors clear. If you normally sit with the tanks closed you can just add some to the tanks and as they fill up the detergent will clean and the Calgon will coat to let future "stuff" not stick as much.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
2106 DS Micro Minnie

Thanks Tom, yes we have rinsers and use them. We also been putting a little vegetable oil in the tank to keep things lubricated however level gauges are still sticking
stoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find doing it myself is far more reliable as I know where I want to spray the water to clear the area where the sensor reads. So, rather than built-in rinsing, I use an item I already had which was meant for clearing house guttering. It is cheap and screws on a normal hose. With a built-in water cutoff, I find I can stick it down the stool and rotate it to point directly at the location of the sensors and spray until the reading clears. The tip swivels and adjusts to fit what I need to hit.
Seems more direct, quicker than fighting to install a permanent system as I need to use it less than once a year or so? I just do it as part of the winterize routine.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-V...8710/203871968
Added thought? Do you have mechanical sensors that would stick? I might have assumed a unit as new as you list would be the electronics with nothing inside to stick unless debris sticks on the tank side in that location.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Team

To get our black tank clean I hook up the outside flush and run through 3-rinses where I close the tank valve and fill the tank from the flush hose to about 2/3 full then dump the flush water.

I have a clear elbow and monitor the flush water. Generally, by the 3rd flush/dump the water is completely clear. If it’s not, I keep repeating the process until it is.

I set a timer on my watch so that I don’t forget about things when adding water via the flush with the tank valve closed!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Team

I always use the flush every time I empty the Black Tank. I also use a clear elbow to assure the water is flowing cleanly. Once I see a clean flow, I close the Black Tank Drain Gate, and continue to use the flush for an additional 60 seconds, thereby wetting the bottom of the Black Tank. I suspect that your tank dried-out with sentiment at one point in the past, or you have a faulty sensor.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure you have internal tank sensors? My 2007 Winnebago Access class C and now my 2016 Navion both have sensors on the outside of the tank. I've never had a problem with false readings. Regardless, I use the tank flusher every time I dump.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney1 View Post
I have a 2018 micro Minnie 2106ds. The black and gray full / empty tank indicators are extremely unreliable. In fact the last time we emptied the black tank the gauge still read full. Do you have any advice on correcting the situation?
The gauges are junk. They rarely work as they should. The black tank rinse valve does an ok job. If you look at where the jets are you will understand why even they are poorly installed in most cases. If you looked at a New Horizons 5th wheel you would see multiple spray heads with two or three at the far end of the tank. Much better but of course more expensive.
The cure is to install a system from See Level and you can even use the present wiring. They attach on the outside and read through the tank wall. They are industrial strength and have been adapted for RV use. Don’t waste your time on all the supposed fixes. If yours don’t work now they won’t get any better. This has got to been one of the most mentioned problems with RV’s. They are constructed cheaply and we need to make improvements so they work properly.
The sad part is that it would probably cost $100 to add this system as standard. The problem is that the trailer without it would be cheaper and since most buy strictly on price theses units wouldn’t sell. We get what we pay for.
I have a Nash now but I’m considering ordering a New Horizons 5th wheel and a new F450 with box and hitch. I’m tired of cheap RV’s.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken 2 View Post
Are you sure you have internal tank sensors? My 2007 Winnebago Access class C and now my 2016 Navion both have sensors on the outside of the tank. I've never had a problem with false readings. Regardless, I use the tank flusher every time I dump.
Good point here as it is easy to get the idea that there is a probe, etc. in the tank even though the reading is only done through the wall. The only way we get a faulty full reading is if some gob of yuck gets stuck at just the right point on the wall or we let it get way too thick. So on reasonably new unit like 2018, one might want to verify the wiring has not got knocked off the sensor.
New stuff does actually work much better if we keep it clean!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Paper can get hung up on the probes in the tank and block them from working correctly. After emptying and rinsing the tank, before traveling, I add some water and additive so that the motion while towing will slosh the water around and rinse the walls of the tank. No problems yet and the gauge works reliably for me. I also always use RV toilet paper.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There would be no internal sensors to your tank.
The sensors may have come loose (sticky tape failure)
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I would suggest the same thing I did in the RV Capacities thread. Get in the habit of not travelling with water in the tanks. Water is heavy! If you dump before you leave, even if you're only 25% full and it requires a separate stop on the way out, it would then take a few days of staying put without a sewer hookup for this to even be an issue.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had this problem with my Winnebago View. I just removed the rubber drain boot and cleaned/scrapped the tank with a wooden yardstick. Debris had accumulated where the external sonic sensors were located. Someone once suggested putting a bag of ice into a half full tank prior to a journeyed.
Jim Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

The ultimate solution:
https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank