Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Getting to the underside of the trailer?

In one of the recent threads there is a mention of getting into the underbelly. I've never done that with a trailer that has the underneath covered, but would like to.

In addition to relocating or extending the plumbing line drain valves, there might be some other things I would do.

Please share your experiences about removing and reapplying the cloth cover. Has anyone removed theirs and left it off?

The bottom cover is somewhat recent; we went for decades without it. So I don't consider it critical, but there must be some obvious advantages I'm not seeing.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure if you are referring to my post, but I did open up a section near the fresh water tank and the black tank to troubleshoot a water issue I was experiencing. I did not remove the underbelly. Also, mine is not a "cloth covering" as it is a Corrugated plastic sheeting which I have heard being referred to as a Coroplast.

What I did was remove a bunch of the black foam around the fresh water dump. I have a 1 1/2" PVC dump. Next, I remove three of the passenger side screws that attach the underbelly to the frame. Then I used a stiff putty knife to break the underbelly away from the remaining foam around the fresh water dump.

From here I pried the underbelly away from the frame, kind of like removing a tire from a rim, using a small length of 2x4 to keep it open while moving back towards the tires. Be very careful prying the underbelly away from the frame as there are wires in there. Sensor and heating pads. You will need to move them away before prying. Once I got is small portion open, it was easy to keep extending the open area. Had I known it was this easy, I would have run my inverter power cables up inside the underbelly rather than the outside along the frame.

When I was done doing what I needed to do, I simply pushed the underbelly back up into the lip of the frame removing the small piece of 2x4 and put the screws back in. At this point, I have not refoam the area around the fresh water dump, but will be in the near future. I wouldn't even entertain removing the whole underbelly.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The bottom cover is somewhat recent; we went for decades without it. So I don't consider it critical, but there must be some obvious advantages I'm not seeing.
Insulation, plus most TT have heated tanks to keep them from freezing.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=No1Hunter;3937467]I am not sure if you are referring to my post, but I did open up a section near the fresh water tank and the black tank to troubleshoot a water issue I was experiencing. I did not remove the underbelly. Also, mine is not a "cloth covering" as it is a Corrugated plastic sheeting which I have heard being referred to as a Coroplast.

I was reffering to your post, but didn't want to hijack the thread. I cut and pasted the process you did and will print it so I have it with me.

I have also heard of Coroplast and won't be surprised if that's what I have. (After 2 knee replacements last year I'm just now getting to where I can kneel. Once I get comfortable getting underneath, I'll know it as well as what's above.)

Now that we are retired to SWFL, insulation is not as important as when we were midwesterners, so I might open the whole thing up. Re-sale would be an issue; so I would want to be able to replace it.

Thanks for the insights.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:46 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The screws I referred to are in the cross-members of the frame. There are two per cross member. I removed the ones on the passenger side of the TT. There are several running alone the front of the TT as well as foam. The underbelly is also above the stabilizing jacks frame, if you have them, and they would have to be removed to get the underbelly off.

It is going to be a big job, and you will need help to make it go smoothly. Personally, I would leave it there and just access the area above it like I did, if you need to.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
Personally, I would leave it there and just access the area above it like I did, if you need to.
That sounds like good advice. I will leave it alone until I have a reason to get underneath. And then not remove any more than necessary.

Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The underbelly on my 2021 2100BH encloses the tanks and the electric tank heaters. Because we do mountain camping in the fall, the tank heater is important to us. I’ve never taken the underbelly cover off and I hope I never have to.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote