Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First camping trip in 2022 Minnie 2529RG

Just wanted to share my first camping experience with you all using my 2022 2529RG Winnie. For the most part all went well but there were some discoveries and failures.

Discovery #1. I installed a TPMS. I didn’t realize that the power coming from my truck would not power that system. I now know that a battery is required.

Discovery #2. I did not realize that the power jacks do not work using the power from the truck. Apparently, a battery is required to use them or shore power.

Discovery #3. I have a back up camera installed. I did not realize that this too requires a battery in order to function properly. I typically do not take a battery with me if I’m using shore power. Looks like that will change on future camping trips. Also, because I found out that the battery is required for the emergency brake.

Discovery #4. I was able to start both A/C units using 30-amps. My TT is supposed to do that using their EMS configuration. However, there are stories out there where it did not. Mine did. However, I did not run the microwave while both units were running.

Failure #1. Went to use the shower and the upper track bar for the shower curtain collapsed as I tried to pull the shower curtain from the side. The bar fell on my foot and the sharp edge cut it. The lower track also broke free from the wall at one end so it’s essentially flopping around. Junk. The bottom track end that broke free looks like it's missing a part that attaches to the wall. The upper bar looks like it's too short to span the length of the shower stall.

Failure #2. Water heater stopped working after heating water once. I initially did get a W/H reset flash on the control panel and reset accordingly. However, it never worked again. After coming back from our trip I found out the thermal cutoff wasn’t functioning correctly. I did use a multimeter to check for continuity and it appeared that I was fine. But, it wasn’t until I actually replaced it that the water heater fired back up again. Cheap fix. I now will keep additional items (thermal cutoff, TSTAT, etc) on hand just in case.

Failure #3 (kinda). I use ARC from my TV to the entertainment system. The sound coming from the entertainment system didn't go up very high. I can crank up the volume on both the TV and what's on the entertainment system to maximum and it only goes up so high. This is a pain if the A/C is running. I like this setup just because of the speaker locations on the ceiling and it sounds great. I may just go back to the old school way and use the speakers on the TV instead and not use ARC at all.

Overall, not a bad camping trip. I think what’s upsetting the most is the shower curtain fail. I may just go with a shower curtain and be done with it.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:32 AM   #2
Site Team

A battery is always required to use with your TT - even when plugged into your tow vehicle. Even if your tow vehicle did power things - your trailer's brakes are electric and if your TT were to come unplugged or separate you'd loose trailer brakes and all emergency breakaway braking.

The only time you don't need your battery in your TT is when it's in storage.

That you were able to run two A/Cs on 30-amp is a gift and I'd suggest that you buy a lottery ticket because you are obviously lucky.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Some suggestions.
Most modern entertainment systems have Bluetooth. Get yourself a Bluetooth speaker or sound bar. The speakers in Winnebago towables are cheesy anyway.

When you said you need a battery, does that mean you don’t even have a marine deep cycle? Dangerous to tow without a battery, as there will be no power for emergency braking in the event of a hitch failure while underway.

Don’t understand why the camera doesn’t work. It doesn’t need a battery because it’s wired through the running lights which are powered by the 7-pin on your tow vehicle. Turn on your headlights and the camera should work.

Don’t understand your problem with TPMS. It doesn’t use the vehicle or trailer batteries. The sending units have built in batteries. The monitor in your tow vehicle plugs into the 12v outlet right? Most units require you to program them each sensor individually one at a time.

If you want to run both A/C on 30amps, and still be able to use other ac powered appliances, you may want to consider installing easy starts on both of them. Easy start cuts the compressor start up amperage in half. Running amperage will be well under 30amps.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Marine,
I do use a deep cycle battery if I'm boondocking. It wasn't until recently that I found out the emergency brake works off the battery. Lesson learned.

The camera worked fine once I had it hooked up to shore power which obviously does me no good if it's main purpose is to help back up my TT. I've not tried using with lights on in the tow vehicle, however. Great suggestion.

As for the Tire Linc TPMS there is a dock inside the storage bin that powers the repeater. If I'm not mistaken that repeater sends the signal coming from the sensors to the app on my phone. This unit does not provide a monitor.

I've seriously considered installing an EasyStartRV component on each A/C unit. However, I'm waiting on the redesigned EasyStartUP dogbone to see if that might work. They used to have a 30-amp device but now it's discontinued. Instead they are now pursuing a 50-amp device which should be available soon. I haven't the slightest clue why a device like this would be necessary on a 50-amp but whatever. I'm hoping that it works with a 30-amp.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Creative, I guess I just used up all of my luck on my A/C units. Crap LOL.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Discovery #2 is interesting. I wonder how your rig is wired.

My 2108DS will allow jack and slide to work just fine with power from the tow vehicle. I don't even need to have the battery installed or battery cutoff switch turned on (I find that an interesting design point). Of course I need to have my vehicle idling for that to work, or I don't get power, but I suppose other vehicles may behave differently.

I haven't tried this with battery cutoff on to see if the interior lights and such work, but I bet they will. The black wire on the trailer connector ties directly to the wire that goes to + on the battery so everything is the same from there on.

Last year I "helped" a couple who thought they were stranded in the park with their slide out and a dead battery. It wasn't a Winnebago, but it still worked. They never considered their tow vehicle could power it to run the slide in. This seems like such a nice feature that I wonder why they'd redesign it. And I wonder how they did it (a "smart" device of some kind?). Just getting curious I guess .

I 100% agree with Jim's comment about the bluetooth speaker. We got a little Bose speaker (a Soundlink Color II) that sounds WAAAYYY better than the junk that came with the rig. I found we never turn on that "stereo" piece of junk, so I added a kill switch for it so it doesn't drain the battery. You won't look (or listen?) back on this one if you get a real speaker. And you can take it outside too. No wondering if you are blasting out zone A or B or whatever.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Don’t understand why the camera doesn’t work. It doesn’t need a battery because it’s wired through the running lights which are powered by the 7-pin on your tow vehicle. Turn on your headlights and the camera should work.
Not always. Some 2529RG rear cameras are actually wired to a circuit in the DC panel, not the running lights. That is how mine was wired. Even the 12v wiring diagrams shows it as an "option" being wired to the fuse panel. I learn this fact the hard way by cutting the plug off with a pair of dikes and blowing the fuse - TT was not hooked up to the TV.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Interesting take on Discovery #2. One thing that I did NOT have turned on was the battery switch. I guess I can turn that on and see if it does anything. I do know that I had the TV running the entire time. Just figured that would be enough to work the power jacks.

As for the camera if mine is powered by the fuse panel then that would mean power would NOT come from the TV but rather from an alternate source (12V or shore power)? I suppose it's a moot point since I'll now be traveling with a battery due to emergency brake power requirements.

As for a BT speaker I do have a Bose at home that I may use. Just a quick FYI there is a 25% off sale going on now for Sonos speakers which is highly unusual for that brand. Father's Day deal is what I'm hearing.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 2021 2100BH has a 190 watt solar panel that keeps my battery charged so I never have to take it out.

Put me in the Bluetooth sound bar camp, Bose for me, paired with Spotify for music and podcasts. Much better than the stock speakers. Rarely use the Connex.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the response, FlyingV. I also have a 190W solar panel. Do you keep the battery switch on while charging via shore power? I read someplace on the forums that answered that question but can't remember how that all came together.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyBones View Post
Thanks for the response, FlyingV. I also have a 190W solar panel. Do you keep the battery switch on while charging via shore power? I read someplace on the forums that answered that question but can't remember how that all came together.
I turn the battery switch off when I am not using the fridge, which usually means when I hook up to go on a trip and then turn it off again at the end of the trip when the fridge gets emptied and I am done using power, except that the slide and the tongue jack both work when the battery switch is off. My fridge is electric only.

I don’t use traditional shore power. I have a Ford F150 Powerboost so I just plug into the 3600 watt inverter/generator outlet in the bedwall of my truck to power my trailer, but the answer is yes, when the trailer is plugged in, the battery switch is definitely turned to the on position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	186258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3722.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	186259  

FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Interesting way to power up the TT. I've not seen that before. Do you have solar on your TT? That was another question I had. Do I turn off the solar charger while in tow and let the TV charge the battery? Does the switch control whether the battery accepts a charge or not from shore power, TV, solar?

Tags
camping