Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Driving/Refrigerator

Will refrigerator work with just electricity from truck while driving with out propane on have gotten conflicting answers on this question from dealer to website to friends with trailers. We have a new 2020 2108DS, we do not feel comfortable driving with propane on so will refrig work powered by truck?
Chiefdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some basic questions will lead to the answer, perhaps. Does the frig work on 12 VDC when not plugged in and does that battery get charged while driving? If yes to both, the frig will be pulling power from the battery but that battery will be charging from the engine alternator and will not go down.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Probably not < Thousands of RVs travel with propane refrig turned on . I have for 40 years with no problem .
Wakullabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakullabob View Post
Probably not < Thousands of RVs travel with propane refrig turned on . I have for 40 years with no problem .
While I fully agree with what you say and do not turn off the propane myself, I try not to talk using less safety than posters say they like.
What I find is that it can also be pretty easy at times to do a bit of work to let the truck charge the battery as we travel. Depends on lots of small stuff but if the truck has a big beefy seven pin connector, it may have battery already on it and then it just requires getting the power from the connector to the RV battery.
Would be worth the effort to me but then that's a whole 'nuther question, right?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Team

The simple answer is no. I don't think your RV Fridge runs on 12vdc. So it would have to be run on 110v AC.

Could you make it work? Yes, by spending a fair amount of money for a 1000w Inverter to run your Fridge on 110v AC power and at the same time adding a charging line from the truck 7-way to the converter. Oh, and it would likely help to add at least one more battery on the RV.

OR you could do what hundreds of thousands of other RVers do and run it on Propane while you drive.

It depends on how strongly you feel about not running propane while driving and also how much money you have to throw at the problem.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Assuming the 2019 2106DS refrigerator is the same as the 2020 2108DS, then no. It's either propane or 110 volt, as others have said, but what I wish to add is for propane to work you also need the 12 volt to be on. So don't have your battery disconnected or the disconnect switch turned to off.

Also, I agree with others that it's not unsafe to have it on while travelling, although technically you should turn it to 110 volt (basically off) while filling with gas. Some people even travel with their water heaters running, which I would not recommend. The difference is a propane water heater will heat the water rather quickly, where these refrigerators are rather slow to cool when on propane. To get satisfactory cooling you should leave it on. Some even say to turn it on 24 hours before you need to use it.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

As the others have said thousands travel with the propane on with no problem. However it depends on how long you will be traveling in a day. A well cooled refrigerator with the doors remaining close will keep temperature for a good 3+ hours.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
A well cooled refrigerator with the doors remaining close will keep temperature for a good 3+ hours.
It’s true the food will stay cold, but it will take many hours to get the fridge cold again. It takes much more time for an absorption fridge’s chiller mechanism to get cold after being turned off.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I've traveled with mine on propane for years (two TT and now a MH) without any problems. Just make sure you turn it off when refueling.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

I have to agree with BobC, safe to run the refrigerator on propane while traveling. Just power off the fridge before pulling up to the fuel pumps, power on the fridge after you leave, but before you get on the highway.
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Food for thought:
-- You are very concerned about driving with a fuel system (propane) that is pressurized at 0.5 PSI (that is 1/2 pound per square inch).
-- However you have no problem driving with your engine fuel system from the fuel tank to the engine at 50PSI to 60PSI.

Far more danger with the engine fuel system at 100 times higher pressure.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I don’t travel with the propane on and I’m not criticizing anyone who does. Like another poster stated. I run the fridge overnight and shut it down and keep it closed on departure. I do about three hundred miles a day taking 5 to six hours depending on my stops. The fridge always stayed within temp ranges and of course it is turned back on at the next campground. My trip is from Michigan to Florida taking 4 days. To be fair it’s colder outside while I’m in the north. It works for me and it probably will work for you.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Driving refrigerator

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with the gas running either. I freeze water in 1/2 gallon milk containers and put them in the fridge. Works like a charm! Good luck.
Mandomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdeck View Post
Will refrigerator work with just electricity from truck while driving with out propane on have gotten conflicting answers on this question from dealer to website to friends with trailers. We have a new 2020 2108DS, we do not feel comfortable driving with propane on so will refrig work powered by truck?

According to your owners manual the refrigerator requires either 120 volts AC shore power or Propane (combined with 12 volt DC). 12 volt DC power from your truck alone will not operate the refrigerator unless you also have a 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC inverter installed inside the trailer to power the refrigerator along with sufficient 12 volt DC power to keep it running. Depending on the trailer harness on your tow vehicle and trailer there might not be sufficient current available to power an inverter big enough to run the refrigerator on 120 volts AC.

It can be done however you may have to purchase an inverter along with add a heavier 12 volt DC power feed from the truck.

In the past 60 years of camping with trailers, etc I have not had any issues leaving the refrigerator or water heater running however if your uncomfortable with this I won't pressure you into doing similar.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I've always travelled with fridge on propane. No problems.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Great idea.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Fridge on propane while driving

I just have to remember to turn the fridge off when refueling.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Fridge driving power

Chief,
Drove our 97 Winnebago Warrior 32 RQ,from Va to NM and Az, with the refrigerator, on generator, the whole way. No issues. No problems. If we weren't moving, we were plugged to shore power. Just a word of caution, our generator is fueled by the RV tank, so it'll reflect in your mpg. Our generator uses 15 gallons in 24 hours.
Did you try a google search?
Marty
Usaswimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I have travelled thousands of miles pulling an RV. I NEVER leave the propane on. I have a first responder in my family. Enough said. I cool the fridge the night before and keep it closed for the trip. Never had any issues with thawing. Do what you are comfortable with but most importantly be safe.
DMac60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I fouled up my refrigerator in my first trailer running it while not being level. I know people drive with them on but I will not. I am pretty strict about being level before running the refrigerator. It makes me wonder how driving affects the units. Better safe than sorry for me.
Jontpr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator