Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does Micro Minnie FLX have a built-in Surge Protector?

Good afternoon:
I just made a deal on a 2023 FLX 2108FBS. I've been reading up on the electrical package for several weeks now, but have not come across any info regarding surge protection. Does the FLX package have any sort of built-in Surge Protector in either the Xantrex or a stand alone unit? I would think this would be preferable with all of the sensitive equipment.

I have used a Progressive plug-in model previously with a Class C and had to replace the thing twice under warranty, so my faith in those models isn't that great. Maybe I just had bad luck with sketchy power sources?

Bottom line, do I need a separate unit or is there one built-in?
Thank you, Rob.
Rbarbot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbarbot2 View Post
Bottom line, do I need a separate unit or is there one built-in?
In a word… YES.

All that equipment that makes the FLX special comes at a hefty price. You want to insure any shore power coming in to your TT is protected from surges and wiring issues.

I’m sorry you’ve had issues with the Progressive products in the past. I’ve owned two, a 30 and a 50, for two different RVs. No issues with either over 8-years of use.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

No, not built in. You want a Power Protector and not just a Surge Protector if you want the better protection from power problems.

I have had a hard wired Southwire Power Protector since 2015 and have never had any problems with it. It is more expensive but as all the expensive ones it in addition to surge protection has a built in power contactor that will open the power circuit if it senses low or high voltage or a hot-neutral reversal. It also has a time delay if power is interrupted before it restores power to give the AC time to bleed down the pressure on the high side of the compressor to protect it. The portable and hardwired Southwires are the same technology. you likely don't have a place to the hardwired on your TT where you can see the status LEDs so you likely will need the in-line one.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote