Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Did I buy a lemon?

Since buying a new 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS, the following problems have arisen:
1. Oven door fell off in transit on first trip. Same thing happened again after dealer reinstalled. I now tape the oven door in transit.
2. AC electrical system went inoperable. Dealer told me it was my solar installation. Turned out to be a faulty circuit breaker, a unit discontinued by maker in 2017, a 30/15 mini. Try finding one of those. I used a 30/20.
3. Plastic refrigerator door handle broke. Have to tape it shut now.
4. Major problems on 1600 mile trip to Texas. Sewer dump valve locks up. Since I had same problem with my previous Winnebago a red 2106FB, when I noticed valve not wanting to open in new trailer, I bought a replacement single valve unit that goes where the end cap usually would be.
5. While on the Texas/Mexico border, the slide out tore itself to pieces and out of the camper wall. Could only close unit to about 6 inches sticking out, taped with NASCAR tape to hold in place on 1600 mile drive home. Winnebago contact given me by dealer did not offer to help. Lippert Components which makes the slide out unit, offered to fix it for me. They said Winnebago did not install following the tolerances specified by Lippert. Over an eighth of an inch off. And, said Lippert, Winnebago used wrong screws to fasten slide to outside wall of camper. The slide pulled those screws out of the wall. Lippert treated me better than I could have hoped, fixed it and did not charge me a cent although the trip to Elkhart, Indiana and motel fees cost us about $400.
6. Most recently towing back from Montana, something happened to AC power which was dead when I hooked it up back home. Have not figured this one out yet, and nobody around here has a replacement for that circuit breaker. Not even sure that is the problem.
7. Oh, during that same return trip, one of the major trim pieces on interior of slide, fell completely off and was lying on the floor. This revealed that trim piece was secured by a few staples and a lot of glue. The plastic backsplash behind the sink and stove is coming off. It too is glued.
I think I have purchased a lemon. What do you think? Has anyone else had similar problems with their 2108DS or other similar models? Mine is no longer in warranty and I plan on selling as soon as I can get the electric working again. Too bad. I liked the trailer.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm quite sorry to read your woes, but in reading on other forums, and from even other manufacturers, this is now quite common, having so many structural or feature failures in one unit! Any model year, post 2019 production is falling susceptible to shoddy and fast paced down the assembly-line workmanship, as manufacturers, are all about now, pumping out as many units PER DAY...off of the assembly lines as possible to fill the demand. This, caused by societal shifting recreational priorities of the C19 Era. If I were looking for a trailer today, it would be have to be built in 2019 or earlier. You might want to think on,(seriously) trading your 2020 model year, in on another used 2019 or earlier built model year, for I think there are yet still many things you haven't yet experienced with the rush down the assembly line for 2020's and later... Just my thoughts and suggestion. Today, they are literally throwing them together...power stripping screws, missing screws, missing nuts and bolts, glue where there should have been backing wood frame and screws. Yes, this is happening not only at Winnebago... You want a reasonable assurance that your trailer was built right...2019 model year, or earlier....they were built at a much slower pace, as well as a full contingency of factory workers per shift.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I disagree with Sun_Seeker. My 2021 1708FB is built well.....much better than my 2017 R-Pod. Much better.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
I'm quite sorry to read your woes, but in reading on other forums, and from even other manufacturers, this is now quite common, having so many structural or feature failures in one unit! Any model year, post 2019 production is falling susceptible to shoddy and fat........................

Thanks for your reply. You are no doubt correct about manufacturing shortcuts and just plain poor workmanship. Greed at work. My experience with this Winnebago is probably going to end my love affair with camping trailers altogether. I agree that the older trailers are much more well built. I have had several now, and there has been a slow but steady decline in quality over the years. I have even considered going back to Casita, although I hear their quality is down too. I am just flabbergasted with the incredible poor quality and cheapness of materials in my 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS. Wish it belonged to someone else.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsyowl View Post
Thanks for your reply. You are no doubt correct about manufacturing shortcuts and just plain poor workmanship. Greed at work. My experience with this Winnebago is probably going to end my love affair with camping trailers altogether. I agree that the older trailers are much more well built. I have had several now, and there has been a slow but steady decline in quality over the years. I have even considered going back to Casita, although I hear their quality is down too. I am just flabbergasted with the incredible poor quality and cheapness of materials in my 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS. Wish it belonged to someone else.
I so surely hope that this doesn't lead you to end T.T. ownership for you and your wife altogether I certainly hope not! Obviously it is a recreational lifestyle that truly...truly, you and your Significant Other really enjoy. Let's say for posting sake, that UNFORTUNATLY, you did purchase a 'Lemon', as we'll call it. You do have the option of selling it, or even better, (no hassle) trade it in on anything let's say to be totally safe...2018/19 or earlier.

I'm sure, that if you decided to do just that path, and found a GEM...as I did on our 2018 Winnie 1706FB (which I can't highly recommend enough...SOLID STRONG WALLS, no slide-outs, and all their woes and mechanical gear that come with them...) I think this sour present experience for you and your wife, would be water past the paddle. Seriously, you don't truly lose anything but a few feet in length (compared to your current model), and a N/S bed, vs. a E/W bed. You will pick up much better mileage, can go into ANY campsite, R.V. or even for a dedicated TENT site, and the lowest general required maintenance of all trailers.

The 2019 and earlier 1706FB's are gems...and they ARE built like tanks! Check them out, before you truly decide to hang up the T.T. hat on the rack.

In closing and wishing you the best of luck, acquiring a Winne Minnie1706 FB (in my judgment) would totally renew your faith and elevated enjoyment (and pride) of owing a T.T. and actually USING it, rather than fixing or time and cost required to maintain moving/reciprocating tracks and systems.

Good luck , sir no matter your final decision. But..I hope you stay in the T.T. family....as you know, when things are solid, and run right...it is a great recreational pastime!!! Good luck!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
travelling trev

I read on the social media pages of all the issues that people are having with the 2020 year models. I am sure the lack of quality control is due to the standard of the work force and the lack of parts etc., caused by the Covid 19 plague. I own a 2019 micro minnie and have travelled well over 6000kms & haven't had any issues whatsoever. If and when you sell your TT, I would look at the used market and see if there are any pre -2020 trailers for sale. you may have better luck. Hope things improve for you, good luck.
trevor C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear that you've had so many problems. Mine is a 2018 2108DS (bought September of 2017), I've had a couple of smaller issues but the local dealer fixed those with no trouble at all. I ordered mine when the model was just coming out, on arrival at the dealership they went through it entirely and checked everything. The found a few cabinet doors that were (very) slightly stained and they ordered replacements before I even saw the camper.
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2019 micro minnie 2108ds I bought used last year. We have put about 4K on it with no issues.
Just Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

1) I got the same problem with the oven door
2) I didn’t get any problem with my portable solar system connected with a new LiFePo battery. However I change the converter to work correctly with a lithium battery.
3) all others: you stressed me!
I own a 2108DS, 2020 also
Allairea67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The bottom line is what’s important to the manufacturers. If they can save 10 cents on using cheaper screws they will do it. It adds up when you consider total volume.
Here’s my solution. As a group do not purchase any 2023 units. Let the manufacturers know that we as a group are sick of the poor quality and poor service. When they see their units backing up maybe they will do something. This is not too realistic. We control the situation in the long run but right now we will buy the cheapest units and they have to compete on price. Refuse to upgrade and maybe they’ll notice. I’m not holding my breath. As a result of everyone purchasing based on price we are encouraging the poor quality we receive. I really get tired of hearing that the situation is ok. It’s not. I have a Nash trailer and while it’s not perfect I’d better than average. I have a well equipped tool box that I take with me and I fix any problem that comes up. I believe on doing it myself right the first time rather than let it sit at the dealer while the poorly trained newcomer works on it. How much talent does it take to put on an oven handle?? Not much.
I have lots of time and money invested in my trailer. I have made lots of changes. I’m not trading it in so I can go through the whole process again.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
Micro Mini 2108TB

Add this to your list

Hi Woodsyow,

I too purchased a 2108TB and am not happy. But maybe this tip will save you money: Take a look inside and above the shower skylight trim. You will probably see plywood. This is a problem, because splash water will enter and in time delaminate the plywood and weaken the framing. This appears to be common with 2020 models. Winnebago have come up with a redesigned trim piece to solve this. They should provide it FOC, because it is a design fault, but are charging $149.95 plus tax.

My trailer is now 18 months old and I bought it last June. The previous owner says he did not Know about this problem, which has led to a major soft area (18" x 30") in front of the two skylights. You can no longer walk on that part of the roof. Winnebago are not honoring the three-year structural warranty, because they claim it is a lack of maintenance issue.

The attached pictures show the area you should check out.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower 4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	180837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Water Marks.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	180838  

Senecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I don't think it is unusual to find these problems. With the last new RV I bought, we had two pages of punch list items we wanted corrected before we took delivery. After 5 months we needed to take it regardless of what was left to correct. After the first trip, I took it back for the completion of the first list and the new items we discovered. It ended up taking nearly two years to get everything done to our satisfaction, but after that we had no problems. After that, we said we would not buy another new RV; we'd let someone else deal with the initial problems.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Not my 2019. I absolutely hate the thing and wish I never got involved in RV’ing. I still haven’t found all the leaks. Workmanship was absolutely crap. See my complaints with photos. Again, I still have a leak which I can’t locate.
Elk River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

2019 Winnebago Minnie 2201 DS I problem after another. Low quality materials coupled with poor craftsmanship and lousy engineering. Check out the video on youtube about 50 things that have gone wrong with my camper. Not my video but could well be. Looking for a quality camper to replace my Winnebago. Yes, I know it will cost me double, but the old axiom is sometimes true, "You get what you pay for."
Rustyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senecio View Post
Hi Woodsyow,

I too purchased a 2108TB and am not happy. But maybe this tip will save you money: Take a look inside and above the shower skylight trim. You will probably see plywood. This is a problem, because splash water will enter and in time delaminate the plywood and weaken the framing. This appears to be common with 2020 models. Winnebago have come up with a redesigned trim piece to solve this. They should provide it FOC, because it is a design fault, but are charging $149.95 plus tax.
-Bad caulking
-Bad seam and trim engineering
-Worse of all, type of wood in a shower that can't take the slightest water
-Bad after-sale customer service ($149??)

Can you imagine Honda or Toyota ever doing business like this?

Hyundai is talking about making a Class B, show me first in line...

PS Winnie should take away every power screwdriver and power stapler on their whole production line. That would solve a lot of my problems!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We are new to RVing and bought a 2019 20108DS at the end of 2019. We camped 49 nights in 2020 and so far have camped 53 nights this year. Our problems have included a slide that got stuck out, a broken fridge (easily fixed by you tubing it), two sockets that pulled out of the wall when I pulled plugs out of things, interior stripping coming loose on one wall, and an electrical issue that is new where our power jack isn’t working at all, as well as no slide when we went but it worked when we came home… Go figure. I just assumed that RVs are made as light and flexible as possible and we are getting very good at figuring things out on our own! I still love it and I’m thrilled to be RVing the summer instead of stuck in my house!
Old 09-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Fortunately for the most part my rig has held up pretty well. I've got ~10k miles and 40 nights on it and knock on wood, have only had the water heater ignitor board go bad. There's also two areas under the front end of the slide out that seemed to have been slightly compromised but the eternabond patches seem to be holding up.

Note that I primarily travel on interstates. Washboard / poor roads may play a role in things naturally falling apart and try to avoid them if possible.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsyowl View Post
Since buying a new 2020 Micro Minnie 2108DS, the following problems have arisen:
1. Oven door fell off in transit on first trip. Same thing happened again after dealer reinstalled. I now tape the oven door in transit.
2. AC electrical system went inoperable. Dealer told me it was my solar installation. Turned out to be a faulty circuit breaker, a unit discontinued by maker in 2017, a 30/15 mini. Try finding one of those. I used a 30/20.
3. Plastic refrigerator door handle broke. Have to tape it shut now.
4. Major problems on 1600 mile trip to Texas. Sewer dump valve locks up. Since I had same problem with my previous Winnebago a red 2106FB, when I noticed valve not wanting to open in new trailer, I bought a replacement single valve unit that goes where the end cap usually would be.
5. While on the Texas/Mexico border, the slide out tore itself to pieces and out of the camper wall. Could only close unit to about 6 inches sticking out, taped with NASCAR tape to hold in place on 1600 mile drive home. Winnebago contact given me by dealer did not offer to help. Lippert Components which makes the slide out unit, offered to fix it for me. They said Winnebago did not install following the tolerances specified by Lippert. Over an eighth of an inch off. And, said Lippert, Winnebago used wrong screws to fasten slide to outside wall of camper. The slide pulled those screws out of the wall. Lippert treated me better than I could have hoped, fixed it and did not charge me a cent although the trip to Elkhart, Indiana and motel fees cost us about $400.
6. Most recently towing back from Montana, something happened to AC power which was dead when I hooked it up back home. Have not figured this one out yet, and nobody around here has a replacement for that circuit breaker. Not even sure that is the problem.
7. Oh, during that same return trip, one of the major trim pieces on interior of slide, fell completely off and was lying on the floor. This revealed that trim piece was secured by a few staples and a lot of glue. The plastic backsplash behind the sink and stove is coming off. It too is glued.
I think I have purchased a lemon. What do you think? Has anyone else had similar problems with their 2108DS or other similar models? Mine is no longer in warranty and I plan on selling as soon as I can get the electric working again. Too bad. I liked the trailer.

Did you buy an rv? Then YES!
az wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Micro Lemon 2306BHS

Sounds like there is lots of Lemons here, as is mine.
I purchased a 2021 Micro Winnie 2306BHS.
I have had about 8 lines burst before winter even hit, fridge crapped out, fridge handle ripped off, rollers in pot/pan cabinet seized, furnace quit, hotwater propane heater died twice and now im dealing with a large exterior bubble running down from kitchen window about 3ft long (which im currently waiting for Winnebago to call me back about)
gudgegudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Turned out to be a faulty circuit breaker, a unit discontinued by maker in 2017, a 30/15 mini. Try finding one of those. I used a 30/20.
What brand of breaker?

We haven't had any major issues with our 2022 2529RG. Biggest was the thermostat wall needing to be isolated from a vent (warranty repair) and the fill tube issue that I fixed.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote