Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Coupler hitch height on a 21 or 22 2100BH?

Trying to determine if my 4 inch drop receiver will work for my 2022 Winnebago 2100BH Micro Minnie. The ball height is 26 5/8 inches with the ball in the highest position on my GMC Canyon diesel. Or do I need a 8 inch drop receiver?

The camper is in a outside storage lot and the space slopes a bit so it is difficult to get an accurate coupler height measurement. It is winter here and I do not want to move the camper till the weather improves (maybe in March).

When I ordered the Andersen hitch I thought the 4 inch drop would work but I'm having second thoughts after listening to Utube videos. They say the truck's receiver needs to be 1-2 inches higher than the trailer's coupler height. If I need the 8 inch drop I would like to get one now rather then wait till spring.

Thanks to all who respond.
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone know the coupler hitch height on a 21 or 22 2100BH? That is all I need to know. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I got on U-Tube and listened to a guy giving measurements of items on a 2100BH. His measurement was 28" from the ground to the top of the coupler. This did not seem right to me so I called Winnebago Customer Care line. The lady there was very nice and after a brief wait she called me with the measurement which is 23 inches. This is GREAT; now I know my 4 inch drop receiver will work with my new Andersen WDH. Sometimes it is better just to go straight to Winnebago to get the answer you need.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I’m glad you got the answer. I really wanted to help you out, but the fact that I sold the trailer and truck a few months back made it a bit difficult.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I’m glad you got the answer. I really wanted to help you out, but the fact that I sold the trailer and truck a few months back made it a bit difficult.
Thanks Backtrack for the thought. Seems strange that nobody on this sight responded to such a simple question. Anyway, a person has to be careful what you see on U-Tube; the guy there who was giving 2100BH measurements was way off. I bookmarked his video but I'm going to delete it. Have a great weekend.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Grogers,

Interesting thing, I had asked Winnebago via email about the hitch height of my 2225RL and the response was "Pertaining to your question, it is 28" to the top of the coupler from the ground for the Micro Minnies." My dealer had the top of my blue ox ball at 29".
Old 01-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaj View Post
Grogers,

Interesting thing, I had asked Winnebago via email about the hitch height of my 2225RL and the response was "Pertaining to your question, it is 28" to the top of the coupler from the ground for the Micro Minnies." My dealer had the top of my blue ox ball at 29".
Interesting indeed. The coupler height while mine is in the storage place with the camper level; but the ground slops just a bit from the front to the back. The measurement is 25 7/8. I measured a few at the dealers place and I got around 24. When I picked up my camper at the dealers place the ball was at 22 3/4. The camper/truck looked real level. So with my measurements and the 23" quote from Winnebago I'm sure I will be able to use my 4" drop receiver to install my Andersen WDH. Gee, it is hard to explain something that is so simple. Have a good day.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Picked up my 2022 Micro Minnie 2225RL the end of November. Even though it too is wrapped up tight for the winter, seem to recall the installing tech mention right around 24". But once I got it home realized the ball on the Blue Ox was still too low. Brought it up to the highest notch and it seems just right hooked up to my Chevy Silverado 1500.

Watch when you disconnect the first time camping. You'll need a good 6-8" block or something similar under your jack foot. The trailer sits so high you're lible to overextend the jack without something under it.

But not complaining about the trailer being too high. No more dragging anywhere and dump pipe is finally at a decent height off the ground. This after owning a 2017 Micro Minnie for over 4 years.
ranger1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks ranger1001 for the "heads up" about a support block under the trailer jack. We do like the extra height of the MM's. Can hardly wait for warmer weather so I can install my Andersen WDH. Probably won't be until late March here in Nebraska. We purchased the camper last December because the price was so good; but waiting till Spring is tough. Have a safe New Year.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Grogers

Did you ever land on the measurement of the hitch height ? Did you settle on 28" to the top of the receiver ? I pull with a Dodge Durango and an Andersen Hitch that is set up for my old RV. The new 2108FBS appears much higher with the larger tires, so I will need to adjust everything before taking delivery once the snow clears.

Thanks in advance
STCLARKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCLARKE View Post
Grogers

Did you ever land on the measurement of the hitch height ? Did you settle on 28" to the top of the receiver ? I pull with a Dodge Durango and an Andersen Hitch that is set up for my old RV. The new 2108FBS appears much higher with the larger tires, so I will need to adjust everything before taking delivery once the snow clears.

Thanks in advance
From my asking on this site, contacting Winnebago, measuring some in the dealers gravel lot I believe the top of my coupler will be 23-25". I know that 28" seems to be what is most mentioned here and on U-tube but from my experience it is 23-25". Anxious for spring to come so I can find out for sure what the measurement is. I hope it is not 28"; if so I will have to get a 8 inch drop receiver and sell my 4 inch drop that came with my 3350 Andersen kit.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply.

I'll plan then, and measure based on the 23 to 25 inch range. I also have the 4" drop receiver and don't want to show up to find out it won't work. If the 4" needs adjustment, then that's OK, if it doesn't then I'm pooched !
Old 02-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just went through this. I planned on 24" and ended up having to adjust slightly higher but that was a good ballpark starting point in my case.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Grogers,

Did you pick up the trailer, did the 4” Anderson drop work ?
I have been researching the same Issue
I have a 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel , top of vehicle hitch is 19”
Winnebago said coupler is 25-3/8th inches , Hitch is 28”
Called Anderson and they stated the 4” drop hitch should work with the 7”-8” plates, kit #3386
Cartex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartex1 View Post
Grogers,

Did you pick up the trailer, did the 4” Anderson drop work ?
I have been researching the same Issue
I have a 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel , top of vehicle hitch is 19”
Winnebago said coupler is 25-3/8th inches , Hitch is 28”
Called Anderson and they stated the 4” drop hitch should work with the 7”-8” plates, kit #3386
Still winter here in Nebraska; have not installed the hitch yet. I have a 2019 GMC Canyon Diesel; I think the 4" drop will work; sure hope so.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
Still winter here in Nebraska; have not installed the hitch yet. I have a 2019 GMC Canyon Diesel; I think the 4" drop will work; sure hope so.
Forgot to mention that my 3350 kit contains 6" frame brackets. These will work as the 2100BH frame is 5 inches. Do not need the 7" 8" brackets that are in the 3386 kit.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the update, the 7” -8” brackets is the dimension Winnebago tech support stated, measured a 2306bhs yesterday and yes frame rails 5” and bottom of coupler was at 22” but coach was not level, I just got a VIN # for my 2108DS , will call Winnebago back ,
Cartex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartex1 View Post
Thanks for the update, the 7” -8” brackets is the dimension Winnebago tech support stated, measured a 2306bhs yesterday and yes frame rails 5” and bottom of coupler was at 22” but coach was not level, I just got a VIN # for my 2108DS , will call Winnebago back ,

I checked my frame brackets. The bottom hole would work for a 6" frame. The next up hole would work for a 5" frame. Why Winnebago tech support would state that 7-8" is what you need is beyond me. Sure they would work but why have extra metal sticking up or down not to think of the extra weight the 7-8" would have. Why we get so much conflicting information from Winnebago is frustrating!!! I'm sure the 6" brackets that came with my 3350 kit will work on my 2100BH. Thanks for your updates.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

Just an update as I picked up the RV last weekend. I had everything set to go at 24" but we ended up having to move the ball up. It now sits at 28" (to the top of the ball), which is the highest possible position on the 4" Drop/Rise (8") Andersen brackets.

As mentioned, you WILL need a block of some sort under the tongue jack as the jack won't go high enough to give the hitch clearance from the ball. I may have to look into a jack extension, but this appears to be a design flaw that Winnebago should address.

The only other issue I have, is that due to the size of the jack motor housing, the hatch of my Durango won't open. I need approx. 3" more clearance even with the Andersen hitch at the furthest out, so I may be looking for a receiver extension.

Looking forward to getting out once the weather up here in Canada warms up a bit.

(ps, the frame is 5" and my Andersen kit came with the 3,4,5,6 brackets, so I was good there)

-Stephen
Old 04-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCLARKE View Post
Hi all,

Just an update as I picked up the RV last weekend. I had everything set to go at 24" but we ended up having to move the ball up. It now sits at 28" (to the top of the ball), which is the highest possible position on the 4" Drop/Rise (8") Andersen brackets.

As mentioned, you WILL need a block of some sort under the tongue jack as the jack won't go high enough to give the hitch clearance from the ball. I may have to look into a jack extension, but this appears to be a design flaw that Winnebago should address.

The only other issue I have, is that due to the size of the jack motor housing, the hatch of my Durango won't open. I need approx. 3" more clearance even with the Andersen hitch at the furthest out, so I may be looking for a receiver extension.

Looking forward to getting out once the weather up here in Canada warms up a bit.

(ps, the frame is 5" and my Andersen kit came with the 3,4,5,6 brackets, so I was good there)

-Stephen
Hi Stephen, I will up-date you on my situation. When I installed my hitch with the 4 inch receiver the camper was in my storage lot and on fairly level ground. However, my tow vehicle was just a slight bit higher than the camper but I thought I would be okay. When I moved the camper out and parked it on very level ground the end of the camper was nearly 6 inches higher than the front. So I ordered a 8" receiver. I hope your tow vehicle is a bit higher than mine; if so the 4 inch receiver will probably work. Anyway I have a just like new 4 inch receiver for sale in the classifieds. Good luck with yours. Gaylen