Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Considering Micro Minnie Purchase

Dear Winnie Owners:

We are thinking of joining the ranks. Considering one of the Micro Minnie travel trailers.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on options, upgrades, accessories, modifications. We are pretty new to travel trailers, so I would love to hear what is deemed to be essential for new owners. We will be primarily camping in state or national parks. Lots of road trips especially in the summer time, but some fall/spring camping as well.

Other questions on our mind:
- Color. Any issue with getting one of the brighter colors? Do they tend to fade or hold up pretty well?
- bikes. can you add a rack?
- 13.5K or 15K A/C?

Again, any other advice or considerations for soon to be new owners is welcomed.
lucky day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Avoid getting a unit with the Atwood tankless hot water heater. They are a bad match for the trailer's 25 gal grey water tank. Look into the bike racks that mount on the front frame of the trailer. The bumpers on travel trailers are not sturdy enough to hold a bike rack without adding extra support to the bumper. A rearview camera is a good thing to have. There are many things you can easily upgrade yourself after you get the trailer and learn what you like and don't like. That is also usually a cheaper route than ordering through the dealership.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply. Is there an alternative to the Atwood tankless that is working well?
Good advice on the bike rack and recommendation to be patient on upgrading. Does that include A/C and/or Fans?

Any other thoughts still welcomed.
lucky day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The 6 gallon tank water heater is what you want. I believe that it is now standard equipment on new micro minnies since winnebago learned a lesson with the tankless heater. A/C is not something that I would upgrade later. The micro minnies are pretty small trailers so I am doubtful that you really need to upgrade to a larger A/C. We have the 13.5 on our 2106 and live it Fl. No problem keeping cool.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The bigger the AC, the better. Small cost to upgrade when new and you will always have the extra capacity. When it's 90 degrees and I want to cool things off, I get impatient.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Our 2018 2106FBS came with a 6 gal, dual fuel water heater. The other models we saw on the dealer's lot were the same. I agree that a tank style is better to go with for smaller trailers.

As for the A/C our dealer had units with 13.5K and 15K on the lot. Ours has a 13.5K. I would put more emphasis on the floor plan that fits you. If you have two identical units but one has the larger A/C then I would go with that. So far the 13.5K unit seemed to perform well on the Florida trip we just returned from where we had temps in the 80's. It wasn't 90's summer temps but I think it should keep up ok.

We owned a Palomoni 142CK prior to this TT. Some things we learned about us from owning it are we wanted more room so a slide out became a must have. We didn't like the transverse bed so any new trailer needed to have a walk around bed. We wanted a full bath as opposed to a wet bath. Also had to have a larger fridge. Some things we preferred but could live without were a dinette and oven/vent.

A drawback is the small 25 gallon holding tanks. While the black tank capacity was ok for our 6 day stay the grey tank would fill every couple of days with water conserving shower use. This wasn't a big problem as we were on full hookups but might cause us issues with long weekends at our nearby state parks with electric only sites. Another area I will be making a modification to is the slide out. The trailer does not come with a topper from the factory. As we live and camp in areas with lots of trees, pines in particular, I have to get up on the roof to sweep off the slide before retracting. Being an older guy I really don't like doing this so am planning on ordering a topper I can install over it. Other than that we are pretty happy with the new trailer. It pulls well and we were quite comfortable for our nine day trip.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Agree with the 25 gallon grey water tank being a problem. We ended up buying a 25 gallon tote which solves the problem but still a pain to deal with.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
Another area I will be making a modification to is the slide out. The trailer does not come with a topper from the factory. As we live and camp in areas with lots of trees, pines in particular, I have to get up on the roof to sweep off the slide before retracting. Being an older guy I really don't like doing this so am planning on ordering a topper I can install over it. .
I would be interested in hearing about this mod once you have done it
bigb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I would be interested in hearing about this mod once you have done it
Josh the RV NERD explains it all-

[
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I installed Carefree topper on our 2108DS. It was not hard to do, though the topper cost about 350 dollars I wanted on that looked good and had a built in cover.
Fzyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky day View Post
Dear Winnie Owners:

We are thinking of joining the ranks. Considering one of the Micro Minnie travel trailers.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on options, upgrades, accessories, modifications. We are pretty new to travel trailers, so I would love to hear what is deemed to be essential for new owners. We will be primarily camping in state or national parks. Lots of road trips especially in the summer time, but some fall/spring camping as well.

Other questions on our mind:
- Color. Any issue with getting one of the brighter colors? Do they tend to fade or hold up pretty well?
- bikes. can you add a rack?
- 13.5K or 15K A/C?

Again, any other advice or considerations for soon to be new owners is welcomed.

Howdy and welcome. I'd like to recommend that you spend some time learning about towing and tow vehicle capacity before shopping for a trailer. Many people don't realize how critical it is to stay within the towing capacity of your tow vehicle for safety's sake. (And many times a salesperson is clueless or will tell you anything to make the sale, so be informed.)

I agree with other posters who say get the a/c upgrade now and not later. While a 13.5 is probably sufficient, when it comes to a/c more is better. I think you can add a bike rack to just about any RV. (Assuming you mean "bicycle" and not motorcycle.)

Have fun shopping and let us know what you find.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase