Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Considering a Micro Minnie 2306BHS

Hi Brand new to the forum. Have been researching and taking to one owner locally and think we are narrowing in on getting a Micro Minnie. I have a few additional questions and thought I would look to a couple of forums for additional insight. Thanks. We will be pulling with a 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab. This would be our first time towing anything other than a few rented utility and moving trailers. Probably some Covid weekend get aways here in the midwest and potential trips to see/stay with kids in Portland OR. I thought we probably wanted to be in the 20' range but in looking at floor plans and think that we may have fallen in lover with something like the 2306BHS. This would primarily be for my wife and I but occasionally maybe my daughter and two small children for short overnights or a weekend so we like the idea of the couch and dinette and ability to sleep 4. But this weighs more than we were originally thinking and is 25 ft long so I have a series of questions that I hope folks can help me out with. If this is the wrong spot or wrong way to post, please suggest where I should be going, or appropriate procedures. Thanks in advance. Here are my questions:
1. Folks on my Ranger 5G forum suggest staying at under 5000 lbs. This looks to be 4500. Do you think it is too heavy and too long for us to be looking at?
2. One of the reasons we decided to concentrate on a BH model is that we would hope to place our bikes in the BH space. Currently we have no idea if the is possible. We don't know the dimensions of the hatch. One is a trek e-bike the other is a trek mountain bike. We thought it would provide good storage in transit and at the camp sites at night? I haven't seem any one discussing doing this with bikes. I would like so feedback from users that have attempted to do what we are thinking.
lwilliamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
RVCalypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliamj View Post
Hi Brand new to the forum. Have been researching and taking to one owner locally and think we are narrowing in on getting a Micro Minnie. I have a few additional questions and thought I would look to a couple of forums for additional insight. Thanks. We will be pulling with a 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab. This would be our first time towing anything other than a few rented utility and moving trailers. Probably some Covid weekend get aways here in the midwest and potential trips to see/stay with kids in Portland OR. I thought we probably wanted to be in the 20' range but in looking at floor plans and think that we may have fallen in lover with something like the 2306BHS. This would primarily be for my wife and I but occasionally maybe my daughter and two small children for short overnights or a weekend so we like the idea of the couch and dinette and ability to sleep 4. But this weighs more than we were originally thinking and is 25 ft long so I have a series of questions that I hope folks can help me out with. If this is the wrong spot or wrong way to post, please suggest where I should be going, or appropriate procedures. Thanks in advance. Here are my questions:
1. Folks on my Ranger 5G forum suggest staying at under 5000 lbs. This looks to be 4500. Do you think it is too heavy and too long for us to be looking at?
2. One of the reasons we decided to concentrate on a BH model is that we would hope to place our bikes in the BH space. Currently we have no idea if the is possible. We don't know the dimensions of the hatch. One is a trek e-bike the other is a trek mountain bike. We thought it would provide good storage in transit and at the camp sites at night? I haven't seem any one discussing doing this with bikes. I would like so feedback from users that have attempted to do what we are thinking.
IMHO, 4500ibs dry weight is too heavy for your truck. The water tank is 30 gallons or approxamately 240lb. Add 9.4 gallons of propane 40lb. and now you are looking at 280lbs and have 220lb left for food, clothes and camping equipment. You are going to have to decide on a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Site Team

As for bikes, consider putting them in the bed of the tow vehicle??

As for the truck, you didn't mention if you have the factory "trailer tow package" or not. If not then you are probably way over the allowable trailer weight with the 2306BHS.

For your first travel trailer be realistic about how you plan to use it, how often you'd need the bunks and what your current tow vehicle is capable of.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Colorado and purchased the 2306BHS for our retirement.
The Colorado has a 7000lb tow rating which is i believe the same as your truck. After a 3 week vacation
towing our trailer on expressways and some pretty steep long grades I would say that your truck would be totally adequate to pull the 2306 which we love. The Colorado has plenty of power for normal driving and acceleration, on our 1500 mile trip we averaged 65 mph on the expressways and typically mantained 60 mph except up the steepest grades. I averaged 11.5 mpg.

My biggest complaint with my combination is with a 20 gallon fuel tank I am doing a fuel stop every 175 miles. That said I wouldn't want to pull this trailer which lightly loaded will be 5000lbs across some of the long grades at altitude that are in the Rocky Mountains.

I store my mountain bike in the back with the wheel off nicely but it is a 27.5" large mountain bike,
with a little finesse I thing you could squeze maybe 2 smaller bikes in there, not the larger bikes you are talking about.
Like I said before we really like the trailer it tows very nicely and with a rear view camera you don't need rear view mirror extensions with our truck. Unfortunately we have our trailer at Camping World for multiple issues that came up on our vacation. The trailer was purchase new in december of last year and is a 2020 model with the fiberglass front and some of the other improvements.
tumbleweed55 is offline   Reply With Quote