Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Class C owner moving back to a TT

Long time WGO Class C owner moving back to a TT

We are down-sizing and looking at purchasing a used 2108(6)DS or 2201MB. We have over 100K miles experience in WGO Sprinter and Ford based Class Cs and know WGO build & component quality. (Previous to MHs we started out in a 17' Casita). We are comparing Minis to Lance 1995, Grand Design 17MKE, Nash 18FM and Jayco 18 or 23RBM. Travel to boondock sites is important thus structural integrity & suspension robustness is paramount. I'm not so much asking for comparisons to above models (GREAT if you have answers) but want to learn the communities experience traveling rough dirt roads in their Minis and how they hold up over the long term?
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We bought 2108ds new last year. After a year, it’s been pretty bulletproof, taking some abuse on rough roads and FS roads in Maine, and low country dirt in South Carolina. The tires are wimpy, but have held up well considering they’re only load range C inflated to 50psi. But this gives the mini a superb compliant ride. It doesn’t jump around at all, as it might if it were on harder tires. Matter of fact, one would be hard pressed to find a small TT with better towability, mostly due to its short length (22’7”), dual axles, 7ft width, and low profile, but clearance higher than most TT. We had no problems traversing rutted and buckboard gravel/dirt road. But the main reason we chose the mini is because we could get it up our steep windy road to our home (sway bars off) and maneuver it around, so we can store it at home. Anything longer or wider wouldn’t have worked. We tow the rig very comfortably with our mid-size 6 banger gasser. And the surprising thing is that after a year and over 10,000 miles nothing has broken that I couldn’t fix myself. No warranty claims. Lucked out on that one, I guess.

Now for the downside. This camper is a big-time compromise. Although build quality is good, it’s just too small to allow for design changes which would make it much more livable for long trips.
1. There isn’t enough light or windows.
2. Bed area windows aren’t far enough forward to provide nighttime cross ventilation.
3. Tight squeeze to get to the bathroom when slide is in.
3. Came standard equipped with a 12v compressor only fridge, which works great but requires significant upgrades (battery and solar) to use as a boondocking camper.
4. Pretty small tanks.
5. Murphy bed is a PITA. Get the twin bed model.
6. Reaching the 12v and 110v outlets next to the bed is impossible for a normal human being.
7. Desperately Needs a Maxxair Fan
8. But the Dometic 13.5 A/C if modified with an easy start will run on a 2kw generator.
9. Furnace is not ducted to front of trailer.
10. Comes with cheap stuff that has to be replaced (toilet, shower head, outlets). For comfort.
11. Cheap luan paneling everywhere.

My ideal TT would be a ORV 24RLS, but we’d have to store it off-site.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good post Jim, probably deserving of its own thread. I agree with you on every point, especially the lack of windows.

I don't know why, but my rig came with a 14.5 kW AC and it is too powerful (and loud).

Fridge/freezer: The two handles protruding on the doors are easy to snap right off when walking past them from the bathroom. I understand that they have recently redesigned them to sit flush, but what were they thinking? It a 120V/Propane and has performed decently but wish it had 12V also for travel days.

I suppose some wear and tear issues like delamination and rust are normal and am basically ignoring it so I can enjoy my outings. Overall, it's performing as well as I can expect and will probably keep it long term unless I hit the lottery.
Old 12-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm also considering a move back to the future from Class C to a TT. Very hard to find any TTs though that would be acceptable. I really want modern, contemporary design like Airstream, but having had an Airstream, I wasn't happy with the quality. I want some robustness added to the contemporary design!
Old 01-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

micro minnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I'm also considering a move back to the future from Class C to a TT. Very hard to find any TTs though that would be acceptable. I really want modern, contemporary design like Airstream, but having had an Airstream, I wasn't happy with the quality. I want some robustness added to the contemporary design!
the micro minnies are pretty modern as well as the voyage. i have a microminnie 2225RL and love the design.

Grand designs also makes modern towables
ocbuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c