Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
I'm pretty new to this but is there any problem with using your fresh water hose to connect to the black water tank flush connection when cleaning?

Yep, HUGE problem! That would exponentially increase the possibility of cross contamination of your fresh water system and could result in severe illness or even death. That is no exaggeration. Think Ghostbusters - NEVER CROSS THE STREAMS!!!

Bite the bullet and buy a separate hose for cleaning/rinsing the black tank. Make it one you can clearly label as for use with sewage system only. And, of course, store them separately and always use gloves when handling the black water hose.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Yep, HUGE problem! That would exponentially increase the possibility of cross contamination of your fresh water system and could result in severe illness or even death. That is no exaggeration. Think Ghostbusters - NEVER CROSS THE STREAMS!!!

Bite the bullet and buy a separate hose for cleaning/rinsing the black tank. Make it one you can clearly label as for use with sewage system only. And, of course, store them separately and always use gloves when handling the black water hose.
Thanks! I am not clear on how any of the black water would come in contact with the external female hose connection but certainly not worth taking any chances!
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:17 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
Thanks! I am not clear on how any of the black water would come in contact with the external female hose connection but certainly not worth taking any chances!

Even if you're doing something as routine as using the fresh water hose to rinse the toilet from inside the coach or on the outside spraying down the black water dump valve, there is the possibility of splashback of black water on the sprayer or the end of the hose. After you're done the hose is stowed in a nice warm compartment where a stray bit of e coli that landed on the hose or spray nozzle begins to grow and multiply. Then the next day you hook up that very same hose to your fresh water tank to top it off and that now growing bit of e coli is transferred to the coach's water supply system. And.....well, I think you now see how easily cross contamination can happen. e coli can be deadly and is not something you want to risk catching.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

One way contamination can happen is if the tank overfills and the backflow preventer has failed. Another way is backsplash from rinsing the stinky slinky and other sewer connections. I keep two hoses one good one made for potable water and a cheap hose for flushing the tank and hoses.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Off subject

Hi, looks like we have the same model of travel trailer. I'm looking for the selector valve not having luck. Just bought the trailer
leisuremom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Note that different RV do not have the valve you are looking for. Generally, I think of those which have an exterior "gravity fill" where the water just runs down a tube into the tank as less likely to have a place to screw the hose on and a valve to choose whether it goes into the tank or straight into the lines for use.
If you do not see it pretty close to where you screw a hose on to fill, I might guess you do not have that valve.
One clue is that there is almost always a label to tell which way to turn the valve and they show up pretty plain??

For the comments above about how polluted black water could get back into the fresh hose if you use it? Think of starting to flush the black tank and you have turned the water on at the faucet but get interrupted and turn it off again without disconnecting from the black tank.
The water in the hose forms a vacuum from the black tank and may suck the sewage back into the hose if you come back and disconnect the hose to do the flushing another day.
Same thing happens when city water pressure gets low like during a power outage in Texas? As the water is used out of the lines it forms a vacuum and if there is a water line leak near a sewer line leak or septic tanks, the sewage is drawn back into the pressure water lines and when pressure is then restored, that water is delivered to your kitchen sink!!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

If I may add a reminder about gloves, just because you wear them does not mean you are safe from exposure. What did you touch with your gloves on after you cleaned the black hose ? After working in a hospital for 30+ years I have seen many times where users incorrectly removed them.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

I bought black nitrile gloves at harbor freight and dispose of them after use.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water