Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can't rearrange shelves in fridge!

We have a new 2022 2108TB - and love it so far! We ordered it with a Dometic 120V electric refrigerator. We like the fridge too, but when I tried to put a gallon of milk on the top shelf, it wouldn't fit. Should be no problem - I'll just remove the top shelf and lower it, right? Problem is, I can't open the fridge door far enough to get the shelf (or any of the other shelves) out!!! The door only opens 90 degrees before it hits the bathroom wall, and that is not enough, because, when sliding the shelf out, it hits the storage shelf on the inside of the fridge door which stops it from going any further!

Although its annoying, I may just have to deal with it, but just wondering if anyone else with this model has noticed this? I realize other users have been having more significant issues with their trailer, but the dealer says he has never heard from anyone about this issue before.
TrailerRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I know it's a pain but can you remove the door and make the shelf adjustments then reinstall the door? On the old refrigerators, removing the door was not that hard. It would really be bad if you had to open the door more than 90 degrees to remove it!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback, Bones2003. Unfortunately, you called it - it appears you can't even get to the hinges unless you can open the door almost to 180 degrees

It seems the only way is to remove the fridge, but I don't really want to try that at this point. The trailer is still under warranty, so I don't want to void that somehow. Unless there is a method I'm not thinking of, I guess we'll just have to buy our milk in half-gallon cartons and lay them down!
Old 11-15-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't suppose the shelves on the door are removeable? On my Dometic 3 way the door shelves lift upwards and come out.
Old 11-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Just bend the rack and tilt it out of there.
You can straighten it back out at the new level.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well bigb, you had me hoping, so I went out to look, but the portion of the inside of the door that sticks out and is in the way of removing the shelves is formed plastic that is part of the door, so no luck.

And Eagle5, the shelves in this fridge are glass, so bending them is not an option!

Thanks for the ideas - this is a great forum!!
Old 11-15-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Well that's a bummer for sure. We buy these because they travel very well, have extremely long shelf life (a month or more) and they fit in the door. Might be pricey if you go through a lot though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shamrock.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	184651  
Old 11-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #8
Just Trying to Help

TrailerRat-

I sympathize, but can't offer any real help!

I experienced the same problem after I replaced a propane-electric with a 120V residential in my former coach. I had to unfasten the unit, pull it out of the cavity by a few inches, then loosen the hinges. This gave me (and my helper- needed three or four hands to prevent calamity) just enough room to move the offending shelf. To do the rest of the shelves would have required pulling the unit entirely out of the cavity.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

What's the fridge model number? Curious to pull up a manual, see what you're dealing with. (And it's 12V, right, not 120? Brochure says "10.3 cube 12v refrigerator".)

Maybe a DMC4101?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We discovered this right away. The only fix is to COMPLETELY pull the fridge out. The shelf design is horrible and Dometic could easily have made it easier to pull these.

We’ve just said screw it and recommended to anyone buying any MM with the Dometic to have the dealer pull it and adjust the shelves before taking delivery.
Speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Can’t help with the shelves, but we buy milk in containers that have the screw on cap, and store it sideways.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I’m flabbergasted. I didn’t think this trailer came with a 120v fridge. Mine came with a 12v fridge. Gallon milk jugs verboten. But why is that a problem? Just buy half gallon containers and they fit on the door fine, along with the obligatory bottle of white wine. Half gallon containers can also lay flat on one of the copiously spacious shelves. Use a compression bar to keep them from pushing against the door and causing catastrophe. Love our Dometic too. However, we did have to spend some bucks to upgrade the batteries to LiFePo4 so the darn thing would keep running for a few days with no shore power or generator. It’s huge, but it did fall out of the cabinet surround while traveling on FS roads. Winnebago no help at all. I had to design a new mounting system and effect the repair myself.

Tags
fridge