Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Black water tank won't drain

I have tried several chemical treatments. When i pull the drain valve, its feels like its moving but maybe it is stuck? I only get a dribble out when I pull the valve.
Help.
Bubba48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hate to say it but the chemicals have made this a bit more problem. There is going to be a gush of waste come out at some point and the chemicals make it a bit more difficult/dangerous as they are not something you want splashed all around.
It's not going to be a nice job and takes some grit but one of two things has to happen and neither are fun!
One is the valve is broken and the pull rod has come loose from the portion which slides across the pipe to close it and that likely means the valve has to be taken off and replaced. Not a big job but ugly as the gush of waste comes out.
The other but less likely to me, is that there is a total clog in the drain
and a snake has to be run through to clear the blockage.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The other but less likely to me, is that there is a total clog in the drain and a snake has to be run through to clear the blockage.

And that isn't going to be pretty either, but it's probably a necessary first step.

I was just reading last night about camping at "The Gorge Amphitheater" in Washington state. They have zero amenities, but apparently Honey Bucket has a service that will come by and empty the tanks. I have no idea how they do it, but I think they do suck out the regular Honey Buckets so maybe they could do that to an RV (particularly if there is a door or window near the toilet). The Gorge website gave this email address--they might be able to provide more information. [email protected]

If the tank were empty things would be a lot better to diagnose!
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
RVCalypso

I was out a couple weeks ago and the guy next to me had the same problem with his Minnie TT. I happen to have a swivel stick with me and offered it to him providing he returned it clean! He used it and the tank flushed out clean after a couple attempts.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Thanks for the speedy reply. I think these solutions are beyond my abilities and facilities so I will probably go to a dealer.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Is a swivel stick something you put down through the toilet to loosen up the clog?

thanks
Old 03-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
RVCalypso

Yes, here is an Amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...s%2C288&sr=8-1
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Thanks again. I will check it out.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Please put the model AND AGE of your RV in your signature. That is important info and determines how people respond to your issue. It does make a difference in the answers not just for this issue you are having, but others as well.

A NEW RV black tank is sometimes discovered to have the 'hole' that was cut out for the input from the toilet inside the tank. Sometimes workers accidentally drop it in, and other times don't care if it falls in after cutting the hole. It can cause the type of blockage you're talking about. Yes, something a dealer should have to deal with. That's just one of the several causes of that problem and some others are above.

Good luck and happy camping!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Got it.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

There is almost always an easy way if we can get it to work!
So, before going the dealer route, I would try to clear it myself. It does take some grit but you will at least know it is fully done, if you DIY!
I find one of the easy ways to clear anything in the black holding tank is using a tool meant for cleaning gutters. Check Lowe's etc. for a gutter cleaning wand and it may turn up[ the tool I use.
Advantages are that it is handy to acquire from local, pretty cheap at around $20 and versatile. Odds are good that a hard shot of water in the right place will move the blockage so this wand fits the end of a garden hose, is adjustable for different sprays and the head adjusts for different angels and has a cutoff switch built in the handle. So I stick it down the stool and move it all around trying to hit all the walls , etc. I mostly use ift if a bunch of crud sticks to the spot where the level sensor starts reading wrong. Sometimes it is only a sheet of paper that hangs in the wrong spot, so I keep the tool for that, if for nothing else.
Way too messy to use on the gutters!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #12
2017 Model 2106ds, Lexus

Black water tank cleaner

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this method.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Note that this will not help if the handle of the valve has come loose from the slider portion which does the actual open/close part. Maybe a trip to an RV store to get the look and feel of what the valve should look and feel like as we move it?
Old 03-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Bubba48, please post what eventually works for you and what you found out. That will help others (me especially) should we run into the same problem on down the road! Thanks!

Al
Old 03-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba48 View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply. I think these solutions are beyond my abilities and facilities so I will probably go to a dealer.
Contact a Septic Tank emptying service close to you. Those guys work much cheaper than what a dealer would charge, and they're used to schmoo. The big advantage will be in their being able to contain and evacuate the effluent so it doesn't hit the ground.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
WinnieAdven38

Sounds like you have a big blockage of waste and/or toilet paper that has built up.

One piece of advice for using black tanks is to use lots of water in them. If connected to a full hook-up site you never want to leave your black tank valve open as it lets the liquids drain out - but not the solids. For good drainage the solids need lots of liquids to help flush them out - just like in a home flush toilet.

If this is the problem then you might try feeding back a stick or snake up from the drain opening to free the blockage. But - beware a sudden surge of sewage once you do. You might also try working the same down from the toilet side, but this depends on your black tank design and how far from the drain opening the toilet is.

Black tank chemicals. There are many different chemicals, so do not mix different ones as they can react with each other to form gummy masses. Instead, stick to one good treatment which will liquefy wastes. We have used Happy Camper for years and love it. Keeps away odors and does seem to break up wastes.

Tank flushes - our RV came equipped with a black tank flush connection, so at most dump stations we can hook up the dump station hose there to flush out our black tank with fresh water. If you do not have a flush connection, or are dumping at a station with no hose, fill up a large bucket (2-5 gallon) and go dump that down your toilet while emptying your black tank. This will help create a flush action to help move solids through and out the tank.

Clear drain hose connector - the black tank hose I got included a clear 45 degree angled section which fits onto the RV hose drain connection. This allows me to see what is actually coming out of my tank. While that can be gross you can see what kind of stuff has built up in your tank, but it also lets you see when you have flushed enough as the water coming out will be clear.

Use of toilet paper - You should use as little toilet paper as possible that is put into your black tank. Even the septic safe papers can take a while to dissolve, and too much paper will quickly stop up a tank. Apparently most Europeans have learned to not put any toilet paper into their black tanks. Instead they put it into a small waste receptacle lined with a plastic bag. Kind of gross too, but really little different than bags used to pick up after your pet We do both. For TP heavily used we put into tank, but for lighter "wipings" put into the trash bag.

Finally - as for TP we have used Walmart brand for years with no problems. Listed as "septic safe". Is very soft and does not feel like sandpaper the way some of the supposed, expensive RV papers do.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #17

Buy a back flush attachment
Attach to your hard plastic drain pipe
Close all values that are not blocked
Attach hose and let it rip
Blockage will push back into tank and the and then
it should flow freely
Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if this will really help, but if there's a clog, this thing works like a dream! https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Straigh...a-873896766648
You just stick it down the commode, and the water pressure makes the end twirl like a sprinkler with a fairly high-pressure stream. It really helped clean out the stubborn stuff in the black water tank.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I finally did my first overnight trip in my trailer yesterday, but information in the thread freaked me out. I dumped my tanks after the overnight, and not surprisingly not much came out of the black tank even though I ran water into it right before dumping. In fact, but for the water was a bit brown at the start of the grey tank dump I couldn't tell anything came out when I pulled the black tank lever!

Then I went home and proceeded to winterize the trailer again. When I looked down the toilet it looked like maybe it still had material in it--I was remembering this thread! So I went outside and found a 3' garden pole and stuck it down the toilet. Just a coating of water on the bottom of the tank. I was relieved.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I have heard if you go to the store and get a couple of bags of ice, empty the bags into the toilet then take the coach out for a drive "on a rough back road" swing from left to right and brake hard now and again. force the ice to agitate the tank
Worth a try???
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water