Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bike Rack w/Custom Spare Tire Mount at Rear

On our Minnie 1801FB, we had a welder add a 2" receiver below the bumper, supported by the trailer frame (not the bumper). We used the receiver for a foldible Kuat dual bike rack.
To accommodate the spare tire we welded together our own custom rack, which is clamped to the 4" bumper. This tucks the spare tire in much closer to the back of the trailer, and provides clearance to the bikes and the bike rack, whether it is carrying bikes or folded up.
A lot of work, but well worth it!

[
[
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Love the setup you have there.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Nice job orangeminnie!

I'm planning on something similar. Waiting on my 2" hitch receiver from etrailer. The receiver I ordered can be bolted or welded. We have one of the older non-lifted Micros and added Lippert's 3 1/2" lift last year for additional clearance.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your post! What a creative setup. I have been wondering about fabricating/mounting a bumper guard/hitch on the front of my Navion with bicycle carrying capability. Your solution and related postings are of great interest in this pursuit!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
blubugger

Nice job! As for the ground-clearance, any issues there, other than obviously being aware of the lower hardware and attention to driving terrain?
Thanks,
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hey Orange Minnie! Very nice. I bought a receiver and mounted to my Micro Minnie for a trip last summer. I removed the spare tire and rack and stored in the front pass through. Worked great, except that the bumper was not able to withstand the weight of the bike rack and bikes and has about a 10 degree tilt now (should'da believed the owner's manual LOL!), but no permanent damage done. I would like to try what you did. can you provide a bit more info as to materials used, welding process, and maybe a couple more pics of the actual place on the frame where the new bike rack support was welded on? Also, do you use some type of dust covers for the bikes? we were on lots of dirt roads in SW Colorado, and the bikes were almost unridable due to so much dust accumulation. I had to store them inside the trailer to prevent this. thank you!
KGs2108DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #7
blubugger

Eternal bike racks!

KG, we had the same experience with 2 bikes causing the flimsy rear bumper on our 2106ds [2018]. Had that repaired and later opted to transport bikes inside where they stay clean. Unfortunately, as all bike riders know, transporting and storing of bikes is a "pain" always forgotten when you get on and ride!
So, for the interim, we will keep bikes inside and address any outside transport in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B66AF254-FF8F-49DF-A71F-AE3B7730D006.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	173459   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B2142EE-168C-4A23-8FCC-9D87DD30011F.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	981.1 KB
ID:	173460  

Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

genius! how do you secure the board (with the axle mounts) on the bed? is there anything else (straps, etc.), that holds the bikes in place?
Old 05-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGs2108DS View Post
genius! how do you secure the board (with the axle mounts) on the bed? is there anything else (straps, etc.), that holds the bikes in place?
Thanks for the complement! For over the road travel, not too much off road or boondocking, I strap the 1x6 and bikes in place using either tiedowns or a lashing strap wrapped around the murphy bed and maybe a strap around either the upper frames or the handlebars for added stability. These straps really do not need to be overly tight as the stuff so far has never shifted appreciably even over hilly and mountainous terrain. The bike front wheels are stored in between the bikes, the rear tires and all sit solidly on a protective cover over the bed.
My thoughts are that if sensible lashing doesnt prevent radical shifts and things go flying....you have more serious problems! Like flying off the road etc.
Well, keep RVing once the C-19 is behind us. Stay safe!
Old 05-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
blubugger

I should point out that those two bikes were 26" and one was a 29 hybrid....both did fit reasonably easy and sometimes I stash a Coleman 100watt PV in between the bikes on the bed. Everything thus far as ridden very well.

2018 M-M 2106ds
Old 05-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We purchased an Ultra-Fab UF35-946403 trailer hitch receiver.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...35-946403.html

The end tabs were welded to the bottom of the bumper extension box sections, as shown by the 2nd photo. The welds actually extend a tiny bit onto the bottom of the 4" bumper. The sliding arms of the receiver unit were also welded in place, rather than relying on the included clamping bolts. The result is a very strong 2" receiver that sticks out a little behind the 4" bumper. We spent $300 on the receiver unit, and another $200 on custom welding. We would not hesitate to put at least 2 heavy bikes, or a big basket, in this 2" receiver. We have an 2015 1801FB, which is an early Minnie model no longer produced. The clearances may be different in more recent Minnies. Our trailer is not lifted, and we have no clearance problems.

This is a short trailer - 21ft from tip to tip (with bumper but without the bike rack). For a longer trailer, or for carrying 4 bikes in the back, ground clearance might be more of a problem.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

thanks so much for your reply and this additional information. I've also been pondering reinforcing the current rear trailer bumper by extending the frame a bit and welding the bumper directly to the frame, rather than the two present existing bolts. I don't think the existing bumper metal is necessarily weak, but rather NOT adequately attached to the trailer frame to support the weight of the bikes/rack.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #13
Micro Minnier

How is it working? Does the added weight in the rear affect handling at all? Thanks
Old 08-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi Birdie: haven't done this repair yet. on closer inspection is isn't as easy as it might appear. the frame metal has other attachments, and is enclosed directly in front of the present bumper attachment. so we continue to place our bicycles inside the trailer while traveling. Additionally, using the bumper rack, when driving on dirt roads, the bikes become VERY dirty, including chains and derailers - VERY difficult to clean. So, keeping them inside has worked fine, but a bit of a challenge to get them inside and secured. if you look at the February 2019 post above in this thread, you can see how one owner secures bikes using a 2X4 and some front bike axle mounts. to me this seems a good fix. although I've simply placed one bike at the end of the bed (which is down for traveling) covered with a padded quilt, and the other between dinette and kitchen cabinets - tight when slide is in, and has to be removed to access trailer interior. hope that helps. BTW I do not thing the weight of the bikes has ANY effect on trailer performance or handling. that would seem a Winnebago CYA statement, at least as it pertains to two bikes on a rear bumper rack (spare tire and rack removed - spare time stored in pass through - so net difference in weight is minimal).
Old 08-22-2022, 04:07 PM   #15
Micro Minnier

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
On our Minnie 1801FB, we had a welder add a 2" receiver below the bumper, supported by the trailer frame (not the bumper). We used the receiver for a foldible Kuat dual bike rack.
To accommodate the spare tire we welded together our own custom rack, which is clamped to the 4" bumper. This tucks the spare tire in much closer to the back of the trailer, and provides clearance to the bikes and the bike rack, whether it is carrying bikes or folded up.

[
[
How does it work? Any problems with handling with having extra weight at the back? Thankd
Old 08-22-2022, 04:08 PM   #16
Micro Minnier

How is it working? Do you have any handling issues with the extra weight in the back?
Thanks
Old 08-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post

[
[
Being an older post, If you still have the trailer.

How were the extension brackets attached to the trailer frame and how much did they extend into the frame. Did you weld these to the frame or reply on the two bolts that held the extension and bumper to the frame?

I think utilizing just the 2 bolts on todays designs is the issue with the bumper sagging and shown in one of the posts.

I think in Orange Minnies case welding the extension brackets to the frame would prevent the bumper from sagging at the mounting bolts. The OEM square bumper is welded to the extension brackets on three sides, it shouldn't twist there unless the material used is just too light.

Fred went one step further and installed the cross beam set further under the trailer and welded a plate to ensure stiffness and then tied everything into the rear crossmember for a mounting separate from the bumper.

An install blending both methods would make for one solid mount and also stiffen the bumper from twisting or shaking as well.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubugger View Post
KG, we had the same experience with 2 bikes causing the flimsy rear bumper on our 2106ds [2018]. Had that repaired and later opted to transport bikes inside where they stay clean. Unfortunately, as all bike riders know, transporting and storing of bikes is a "pain" always forgotten when you get on and ride!
So, for the interim, we will keep bikes inside and address any outside transport in the future.
Blubugger, I'm curious, did the square bumper twist or did the channel extensions drop where they attached to the frame. Do you think if that extension channel that's welded to the square bumper was welded to the frame rather than attached by two huck bolts would have prevented this from happening?
Old 06-23-2023, 06:55 AM   #19
blubugger

Bcborn, we did have the 4" bumper welded to the wimpy frame extensions, which are not very long past the trailer shell. The bumper bracket bolts had stretched the bolt holes and the bumper, with spare and bikes mounted simply sagged down. Took the trailer to the dealer, they straightened the bumper up, weldedwherethey could access the brackets a (if the frame had a bit more length a better weld would have been possible.
So we watch the weight back there, travel wit onebicycle and keep an eye on things. No problems the past year.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I totally cut off the old 4" wide 1/8 thick C channel that held the bumper. The new 3/16 thick brackets lock into Z frame top and bottom. They are longer so as to fit the 3/16 wall 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 tubing in behind the reattached OEM bumper.

The new bracket and 2 1/2 tubing takes all the weight now. I enlarged the original holes to 1/2" and welded a 3/16 thick backing plate on the inside of the frame so the thin frame holes don't wear. As you will see in the drawing and pictures the bracket also attaches to the bottom of the frame via the stabilizer attaching bolts.

I replaced the original (3/32") spare tire upright with 1/8" wall tubing of the same height.

I think the key here was designing new frame attaching brackets and beefing up the support structure for everything being attached.