Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bike rack recommendations for accessory hitch?

I didn’t realize until I was poking around behind our 2022 2108DS the other day that it came with a 2 inch accessory hitch receiver mounted to the frame below the rear bumper. Not sure if this is standard equipment now, or part of one of the upgrade packages on our unit. (The spare tire is mounted on a clamp to the bumper, so this receiver is not for the spare.)

So now I’m interested in hearing whether anyone has good or bad experiences with bike racks that mount to this rear hitch receptacle.

I only need something for two bikes, and we don’t do a ton of biking so I don’t really want to overpay for a super premium bike rack. But I do want something that’s sturdy, with minimum risk of damaging either the bikes or the trailer.

If anyone has any advice or recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Couple of things to note:

Most bike racks are not rated for mounting on the rear of a travel trailer. I know that seems odd - but it's true. The unique motion that the bikes on the rack go through while bouncing down the road on the back of a trailer tends to fail and loose bikes without the driver even being aware.

If you search bike racks at eTrailer.com they will put a tag on each rack saying if it is approved for travel trailers, etc.

Next, since the pandemic bike sales have been through the roof. So, naturally have rack sales and besides many not being in stock prices have naturally increased. Looking around you'll see many between $500 - $900.

One of the simple, study travel trailer approved brands is the Swagman listed below. It's $250.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64663.html
Old 03-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks creativepart! Very helpful info.

Our bikes are actually over the 35lb limit for that model rack (they are ebikes and weigh about 45 lbs each) so we may be looking at the Swagman Dispatch instead. A bit pricier, but worth it, I guess, to avoid having the bikes fall off on the interstate!
Old 03-21-2022, 04:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraK9 View Post
Thanks creativepart! Very helpful info.

Our bikes are actually over the 35lb limit for that model rack (they are ebikes and weigh about 45 lbs each) so we may be looking at the Swagman Dispatch instead. A bit pricier, but worth it, I guess, to avoid having the bikes fall off on the interstate!
I also have a rear trailer hitch and attempted to carry my folding e-bike and generator utilizing a cargo tray (170 lbs. total). After a test run, the handling was extremely unstable and had a high degree of sway (I do not have a WDH).

Carrying the bike in the bed of my truck was much better, but put my rear GVWR over the limit. It was also impossible to get the bike out when hitched, not to mention the awkward weight lifting it up and down out of the bed.

My eventual solution was to install a front 2" hitch with an aluminum motorcycle carrier (400 lb. capacity). Solid as a rock. The front/rear GVWR was equalized and I can now roll the bike on/off the ramp with ease. I mentioned this in a post a few months ago. https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3912261

BTW, the link you supplied says NO if you want to carry "heavy" e-bikes, but it's of course up to you to determine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-21 061947.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	182297  
Old 03-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Yeah, eBikes make finding a rack much more difficult. Plus the weight hanging off that far rearward can turn a TT into a dangerous sway machine.

Good luck with this search. A friend used a rack not approved for behind a trailer and the hooks holding down the frame kept coming loose in travel. When he called the rack’s manufacturer they told that this was the exact reason the rack was not approved for behind a trailer.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That's a clever setup RocknRoll!

Good news is our ebikes are small and foldable, only weighing 43 lbs each--less if we remove the battery packs. So the 45 lb limit on the Swagman Dispatch--which is approved for trailer use--should work.

We have a 2-week trip planned in mid April from Santa Fe to family in Northern California, so we may try keeping the bikes (which, as I mentioned, are small and foldable) in our truck bed for that adventure and see how much of a pain in the neck it is before we splurge on a rack. Neither of us is a big-time cyclist, so if we don't wind up using them much it may not be worth getting a rack.