Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bicycle carrier

Wanting to carry 2 bikes on out camping trips. What’s the best way to do this on a Micro Minnie? Rear carrier on bumper, carrier on the front of the camper, tow vehicle roof carrier? Looking for ideas and successful methods.
Thanks
PC
PC Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
RVCalypso

When reviewing bicycle racks make sure they are RV approved. eTrailer.com sells several diffrent racks and list if they are towable approved, motorhome approved or not approved for RV's. Some racks can be used on motorhomes but not on towables. Towables have alot of bounce that produces a lot of stress. Some racks will state they can be used on a small motorhome but not a big one. Apparantlyif there is a lot of overhang behind the rear axel there is a lot of bounce as well. Hope that helps.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Front tongue carrier. The bumper isn’t really capable of holding the additional weight, and adding the additional weight behind the wheels can make the trailer sway while driving
pmglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Micro Minnie bike rack

Found a quality bike rack for the front of the trailer made by Arvika out of Canada. It’s pricey but solid and it clamps tightly just behind the propane tanks. Lots of favorable reviews some by long term users. Customer service is excellent. They called me after delivery to check on things and asked me to send a photo regarding an installation question I had.

We have about a 4 hour drive coming up in two weeks so that’ll be the test.

PC
Old 10-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
RVCalypso

PC Red, great choice. If I had a trailer that is the setup I would go with.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Red View Post
Found a quality bike rack for the front of the trailer made by Arvika out of Canada. It’s pricey but solid and it clamps tightly just behind the propane tanks. Lots of favorable reviews some by long term users. Customer service is excellent. They called me after delivery to check on things and asked me to send a photo regarding an installation question I had.

We have about a 4 hour drive coming up in two weeks so that’ll be the test.

PC

I saw this on an Airstream while up at Norris SP above Knoxville and liked it a lot. Tried to get to their website but no luck; how did you purchase yours as I like this one better than the similar Stromberg that the dealers sell.

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 10-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bob,
The site is Support à vélo pour VR de haute qualité | ARVIKA – RV,VR,Bike,Racks,Support,Vélo,velo,arvika,roulotte ,roulottes,velos. Email is [email protected]. Also the person I dealt with was Guy Fournier. I spoke with him and sent photos of our Micro Minnie and he walked me through the system. The ordering was pretty standard and the rack was delivered via UPS within 7-10 days! Install took the morning but that was due to some “operator error” on my part��.
PC
Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yikes Bob. It is a French Canadian operation and I did not enter that website in French! Guess it just converted to that. If you just Google Arvika RV bike rack, you should get all the info you need.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Red View Post
Yikes Bob. It is a French Canadian operation and I did not enter that website in French! Guess it just converted to that. If you just Google Arvika RV bike rack, you should get all the info you need.

Thanks! Hoping the additional info will work because the Arvika.ca (I photographed it from the other camper's rack) isn't working well (if at all). Lemme see what happens.

Edit: Well, hmmm... The site works this evening but I don't think the rack will work - I'm looking for something with a crossbar between the two uprights with a receiver on it to accept our Yakima hitch rack. The Stromberg may be the only answer, though there's a Jeep off-road shop around the corner that likes to fab all sorts of stuff. Maybe custom is the way to go since I'm also concerned with carrying extra fuel and water.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a special situation to me. Hope you can work things out. Honestly, not familiar with the rig you’re working toward. Hope o helped some.
Good luck!
PC
Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. This link shows you where I'm headed and the Arvika on that fellow's Airstream looked like this, only better made: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...on/CC-275.html

That's why your mention of it got my hopes up.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

It does appear to have strong similarities to the Arvika. The bracket attachment to the tongue and the S bracket in particular. I guess the rails for the bikes are all pretty similar with the different manufacturers. I’ve heard that Etrailer has good customer service, so that’s good. Again, hope it works out for you. We’ll see how ours works a week from tomorrow!