Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #81
1800BH Micro Minnie

RAM eco diesel TV

I’m a first time tower and am using our RAM 1500 3.0 eco diesel (crew cab) with the 1800BH. On the 1000+ mile trip home it did great, in my inexperienced opinion. Very little to no sway even through windy plains of Montana at 60-65 (with blue ox hitch), averaged 13-14 mpg (usually see 28-30 at highway speeds not towing). Payload is what I was/am worried about, I’m thinking with cab full, fresh water, and firewood and gear we may be about maxed out, but not positive.
Used tow/haul button the whole way, and the other driver insisted on cruise control when they drove though that lowered the mpg considerably.
Anyone else tow with a Ram eco diesel? Payload is lowest on the diesels I guess with the engine weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85222D7B-3964-4225-B4AF-A242FEDAB446.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	179911  
MMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #82
Winnie-Wise

Nice rig! I'm curious about what happened during your trip with the cruise on. Did it waste energy hunting for the right gear, or were you going up/down hills where the cruise did bad?

I generally tend to use the cruise, but so far my trips haven't involved any serious grades, and it hasn't ever hunted for a gear. But maybe I have hope to get a few added mpg if I forego the cruise?
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #83
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Nice rig! I'm curious about what happened during your trip with the cruise on. Did it waste energy hunting for the right gear, or were you going up/down hills where the cruise did bad?

I generally tend to use the cruise, but so far my trips haven't involved any serious grades, and it hasn't ever hunted for a gear. But maybe I have hope to get a few added mpg if I forego the cruise?
Once I get past our steeper mountain passes, I have use cruise on slight grades. When I get to rolling terrain, I also turn off tow/haul. My most recent trip, I was able to increase fuel economy from 10.5 to 12.5.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #84
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
My most recent trip, I was able to increase fuel economy from 10.5 to 12.5.
Wow! That's a huge increase.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:27 PM   #85
Winnebago Camper

I tow my new (May 2021) 2108DS Micro Winnie with a Ford Expedition that has the tow package which provides 7-pin trailer receptacle, trailer electric brake control, and a "tow" drive mode that automatically uses engine braking for down-grades among other things. I also use a Husky weight distribution hitch and sway bar. Towing is easy with no problems even in the mountains and fairly steep grades. It has a "backup assist" feature that uses a checkerboard sticker on the trailer frame in combination with the backup camera and 4 critical dimensions you enter, so that when you backup you can use a knob on the dash to steer. So far, however, I find that the old-fashioned steering wheel method better suits me.
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #86
Winnebago Owner

I haven't purchased my Minnie yet but I've been lurking here for all sorts of information about DIY stuff.

Anyway, I intend to tow the Minnie with a 19' 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Even though it does have a short wheelbase it comes with a 7200# towing capacity and my Minnie will not come close to touching that. Power is not an issue at all either. I don't expect to need a WDH and Jeep only "recommends" one for over 5000#. But I will add one if I feel the need.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #87
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I haven't purchased my Minnie yet but I've been lurking here for all sorts of information about DIY stuff.

Anyway, I intend to tow the Minnie with a 19' 5.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Even though it does have a short wheelbase it comes with a 7200# towing capacity and my Minnie will not come close to touching that. Power is not an issue at all either. I don't expect to need a WDH and Jeep only "recommends" one for over 5000#. But I will add one if I feel the need.
It’s often the payload capacity that is the limiting factor (as opposed to the towing capacity). I would recommend a WDH. I tried it both ways with my comparatively large F-350 diesel and things noticeably improved with the WDH (towing Micro Minnie 2100BH).
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #88
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
It’s often the payload capacity that is the limiting factor (as opposed to the towing capacity). I would recommend a WDH. I tried it both ways with my comparatively large F-350 diesel and things noticeably improved with the WDH (towing Micro Minnie 2100BH).
Payload is not an issue either. I am solo.

I'll get a WDH if I think it's necessary. But I want to see what it's like without it first.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #89
Winnebago Master

You should be all set then. Sounds good. Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #90
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I'm very happy with my setup, and with that 5.7L I don't think you are going to have too much trouble with a Minnie. But your short wheelbase comment is spot on. My 2108DS did have a knack for kicking me around a bit, but the WDH anti-sway really brought it under control. I'd just plan for the hitch
Old 10-27-2021, 05:00 AM   #91
Winnebago Owner

As it turns out, in Iowa it's a law to have a WDH for towing over 3000# with my Jeep. I wasn't aware until the dealer told me and I verified it online to make sure they weren't just trying to upsell me for more profit. It's possible that a similar law exists in other states as well. I'd rather keep it legal...
Old 10-27-2021, 07:00 AM   #92
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
As it turns out, in Iowa it's a law to have a WDH for towing over 3000# with my Jeep.
Wow, I hadn't thought it might be in the law. Here's a reference...item #3. Needs sway control, too. It's another matter if it's actually enforced, I suppose, but of course it might be included in citations if an accident happens.

https://law.justia.com/codes/iowa/20...ction-321.430/

I can't find such a thing for Minnesota. But having switched to using a WDH, I wouldn't go back anyway. It's just not inconvenient to hook up. At least my Andersen isn't. It's the only one I've owned so I can't speak for other designs.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #93
Winnebago Owner

Luckily, the Jeep has electronic sway control from factory. Just need the WDH and a brake controller.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #94
Winnebago Owner

After a long weekend of dispersed camping on Cottonwood Pass at 9800 feet, low nighttime temps and some snow one night, I’m sticking with the F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2Kw inverter as the best tow vehicle for a Micro Minnie. Of course our furnace is gas, but to have essentially unlimited power and zero concerns about the tank heater, lights, coffee maker, microwave, water heater, water pump and fridge is a nice feeling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	forumfix.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	513.5 KB
ID:	181184  
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #95
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
After a long weekend of dispersed camping on Cottonwood Pass at 9800 feet, low nighttime temps and some snow one night, I’m sticking with the F-150 Powerboost with the 7.2Kw inverter as the best tow vehicle for a Micro Minnie. Of course our furnace is gas, but to have essentially unlimited power and zero concerns about the tank heater, lights, coffee maker, microwave, water heater, water pump and fridge is a nice feeling.
Suhweet Flying J.
Many of us like me with truck envy.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #96
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
The Powerboost does offer some compelling benefits. The IFS would be a nice upgrade over my F-350 solid front axle (sudden onset death wobble was not fun at 75 mph, nor was trying to get Ford to fix it).

Two questions:
(1) Do you get significant regenerative braking on downhill grades? It's nice when you don't have to use the friction brakes much.
(2) What is the payload capacity of your specific truck?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #97
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
The Powerboost does offer some compelling benefits. The IFS would be a nice upgrade over my F-350 solid front axle (sudden onset death wobble was not fun at 75 mph, nor was trying to get Ford to fix it).

Two questions:
(1) Do you get significant regenerative braking on downhill grades? It's nice when you don't have to use the friction brakes much.
(2) What is the payload capacity of your specific truck?

Thanks.
I do get regenerative braking on downhill grades. While there is a nice feature that shows you a picture of which direction power is flowing from the Li battery; from braking or the engine and when it is flowing out from the Li battery, it does not tell you how much power is flowing, so I can only tell when it is happening, not how much it is charging.

My payload is 1441lb, so we have learned to travel light. The good news is that I don't have to carry a genny or gas in my truck bed. I do have to be mindful of what I do carry however. This trip I pushed it a little with some firewood, fishing poles, a five gallon water jug, a propane tank for the Camp Chef, a tool bag and a bucket with odds and ends. Came in about 100lbs under at 1350. Tongue weight is 550lbs according to my Sherline tongue scale. The truck and trailer handled very well up and downhills. With tow-haul mode on, it uses the engine and transmission to help keep the speed down without overworking the brakes.

It was very nice to have the off road package on the Minnie with high clearance and decent tires for the forest roads and getting into the camping space. The picture doesn't really show it, but there was a steep downhill to get it tucked in there. I did learn to take off the sway bars off of the WDH before going into more rough terrain.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #98
Winnebago Owner

Putting your water jug(s) under the dinette right over the axles, and putting propane tank in a milk crate and into the pass through takes a lot of weight out of the bed. I’m at 550 on the tongue too, and a lower rear GAWR than you. Would be nice to no longer need a generator.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #99
Winnebago Owner

Good ideas. Thanks. A little more tongue weight is better than a lot more bed weight. I like the idea of putting the water under the dinette for less effect on the tongue weight.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #100
Winnebago Owner

Transfer with an old cpap hose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	559AE494-4EBA-4C9A-BB5F-04A617776151.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	181183  

Tags
tow