Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Best TT theft protection

We've been enjoying the simple setup on our Micro Minnie 1708FB. No slides and easy to park. It has me thinking how easy it would be to latch on to it and tow it away.
I know there's no perfect solution to defeat a pro, but I'm wondering what others are using to prevent a theft.
When I read the reviews on the various hitch locks and wheel boots, I always see examples of how easy they are to defeat.
Most places we go camping, I don't worry but sometimes we need to leave the rig unattended for several hours at campgrounds I don't have the same comfort level with.

So what is the hardest to defeat security that you know of?

TIA, Mike
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Personally, I never locked any of my 3-Travel Trailers when I owned them. But many folks put a padlock on to slow down a thief.

Check the LockPickingLawyer channel on YouTube:

Old 04-22-2022, 10:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We've been enjoying the simple setup on our Micro Minnie 1708FB. No slides and easy to park. It has me thinking how easy it would be to latch on to it and tow it away.
I know there's no perfect solution to defeat a pro, but I'm wondering what others are using to prevent a theft.
When I read the reviews on the various hitch locks and wheel boots, I always see examples of how easy they are to defeat.
Most places we go camping, I don't worry but sometimes we need to leave the rig unattended for several hours at campgrounds I don't have the same comfort level with.

So what is the hardest to defeat security that you know of?

TIA, Mike
Lojack it. Then the police can just show up where they take it to. They will probably not be expecting that.

There is no way to stop someone who really wants to take it if they have the means. But coupler locks and other preventative measures can slow them down.

You can keep the honest people honest, that's about it.

I personally have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-U.../dp/B01MYCT0LG

and a lock on the latch lever that can't be cut with bolt cutters.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I believe the Proven Lock #2516 is one of the most secure coupler locks that you can buy. As far as I know this model is the one used on Winnebago trailers but check before ordering. The video which shows the guy picking one is an older design. The lock now uses a 7 pin round lock. I don't know why they never changed their photo.

https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516

This locking pin was moved to the back side to make it harder to drill out.

The safety chains lock inside the housing.

Pricy but I feel well worth the money.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That Proven Lock system looks nice. Still not undefeatable, but certainly raises the bar.

I have considered many options because I'm likely going to be parking my TT in the middle of my acreage and I don't visit the property very often. So someone could show up and have all of the time in the world to defeat my security. Which is one reason why I considered Lojack.

I am also considering a camera/motion sensor security system that runs over the internet (Simplisafe, or similar). I have solar power and tons of ah worth of batteries coming so it can be active all of the time and notify me the moment motion is detected. Then I can check the cameras to see what is happening. If I see bad guys then I can call the Police and hopefully nab them before they can get off of my property with my TT. But that's where the Lojack comes in, in case they are able to get away.

In the end, I have insurance anyway.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

IMHO, no expensive coupler lock is worth the money. A cheap coupler lock will keep honest people honest, but professionals determined to steal a trailer can just chain up the tongue to their tow vehicle, haul off the trailer and defeat any lock at their leisure. Some folks rig devices that will flatten the tires if the trailer is moved, which I think would be pretty foolproof, or removing the wheels on one side. Our defense is a cheap coupler lock, not leaving valuables behind in the trailer and a good insurance policy.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
IMHO, no expensive coupler lock is worth the money. A cheap coupler lock will keep honest people honest, but professionals determined to steal a trailer can just chain up the tongue to their tow vehicle, haul off the trailer and defeat any lock at their leisure. Some folks rig devices that will flatten the tires if the trailer is moved, which I think would be pretty foolproof, or removing the wheels on one side. Our defense is a cheap coupler lock, not leaving valuables behind in the trailer and a good insurance policy.
Exactly!

Security systems are just to keep the honest people honest and to give peace of mind.

It's amazing Jim, how devious minds think alike, or was it our training!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Criminals have the best minds for finding simple solutions to complex challenges. Marines come in a close second.

Semper Fi
Old 04-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Coupler lock
Remove safety chains when parked/stored (Quik-Link to travel)
Remove tire(s) one (or both) side(s)
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Removing the tires would be a stopper for me but I'm not sure how the safety chains figure in. All a thief needs is a 2 foot chain of his own to wrap around the tongue and truck hitch.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but I'm not going to worry about this. Someone can steal my tow vehicle, too. I have insurance for both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to be proactive with making a list of what is in the trailer that might be lost and claimed via insurance. That holds true with the tow vehicle as well. And my house.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be very pissed if this happens. Oh boy would I. But that goes for any thievery, even if it's my camp chairs.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

what about putting a wheel boot lock
Old 04-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If the wheel lock is on the trailer, all they have to do is jack it up and remove the wheel, the mount your spare which you conveniently left for them on the bumper.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Or be prepared and have a spare with them. They wouldn't care if it were not the same size, just lug nut holes, so carry a few different ones.

All the locks probably will only keep the honest people from stealing things.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, any professional thief is going to get your trailer if they want it. There's nothing you can do to stop them. You can only slow them down. Maybe slow them down enough to discourage them, maybe not. Maybe they come by your trailer and see your security measures. Then they get what they need and come back another time.

That's why I like the Lojack idea. But again, it can be defeated if they are prepared for it. Jammers are a thing... However, criminals that prepared are likely only targeting the top end trailers which can make a lot more money for their risk. Not targeting something like my trailer.

It's the basic criminals which people like myself have to worry about.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I hope I never have to test how well it works, but I bought a couple Apple AirTags and hid them in both my TT and a horse trailer we own. Cheaper than LoJack if you're already an Apple user, and uses the huge network of iPhones as a way to track approximate location. (Although given all the bad publicity they're getting about stalkers using AirTags, I won't be surprised if Apple keeps adding features that make them worse theft deterrents, like the alerts that just let thieves know they are being tracked...)

Trailer theft is endemic here in New Mexico, so I wanted to do a little bit more than just keeping honest people honest. That said, we also use hitch locks on both trailers, and a wheel lock on the horse trailer, which isn't visible from our house like the Winnebago is.
ZoraK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all the answers given, so far.

I am thinking about mounting a small but loud 12 volt all-weather siren behind my A/C. I haven't yet figured out the switching I could use. Something that detects a certain movement pattern is what I'm thinking about.
Any ideas on a switching system?

In the meantime I have acquired some heavy chains/padlocks to chain up my wheels and a coupler lock.

Like most have mentioned... A determined, well equipped, thief can not be stopped. Only slowed down. I love my cordless tolls but the crooks do too.

Mike