Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Best solution for mattress topper?

We just purchased a 2018 Micro Minnie. Very excited to take it on a 2 month USA tour starting in October.

What is the best solution to add a mattress topper for the Queen bed?

Do we have to go with a RV product? Are there other choices, such as something we could purchase and add at a local mattress shop?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Brad C
Brad C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad C View Post
We just purchased a 2018 Micro Minnie. Very excited to take it on a 2 month USA tour starting in October.

What is the best solution to add a mattress topper for the Queen bed?

Do we have to go with a RV product? Are there other choices, such as something we could purchase and add at a local mattress shop?

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Brad C
I suggest you not waste your money on trying to put lipstick on a pig....you will end up buying a premium mattress AFTER you also had bought the topper. I suggest you forgo the topper and invest in a mattress such as we did last month. It is simply WONDERFUL...total support of your entire body, especially your hip bones. We now have a wonderful and restful sleep! This is the DENVER Supreme Euro-Top. If you are in the states, merely go to the U.S. Amazon site and check the prices from there. Again, if you try to add lipstick to a pig...(the O.E.M. Winnebago Torture Mattress), you STILL will have a pig...just with something on the 'lips'.... A mattress topper does NOTHING (to attempt to enhance comfort) for the lack of suspension, mattress depth and build, and support that is under it. Just sayin'...and oh...keep your Winnebago O.E.M. mattress somewhere safe, for when you decide to sell or trade up...the 'uncomfortable pig' can be put back into the trailer, and your premium mattress goes into your new 'digs'!

https://www.amazon.ca/Lippert-Compon.../dp/B01DQBUAHC
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you decide to go the topper route, you can purchase any one you want and if needed, trim to fit. (Most RV mattresses are shorter then standard sizes). Trimming is pretty easy, an electric kitchen knife (same you carve a Turkey with) will cut them in no time flat.

I replaced our 4 year old topper this spring with a “Cocoon” topper by Sealy. Ordered online through Costco. Took about 10 min to trim the bottom to fit the Queen mattress we have in the Vista.

As noted above a upgraded mattress may be better long haul, but if on a budget the toppers can be decent.
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We also went the route of mattress topper. I believe got ours at Sams Club, trimmed to fit.

I would also however check the stability of the mattress frame. On my present unit and pass unit I had to reinforce not the frame but the platform the mattress lays on. That in its self made a big difference.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After one awful night on our first trip we went to a local Walmart for a topper. Unsure of the brand but it’s given us good nights sleep since then. We stay in ours for months at a time in the winter. We talked about getting a better mattress but it hasn’t been necessary. Funny thing is when I was throwing away the box in the dumpster I saw three other boxes from toppers and thought we have a few new campers here.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
Itasca owner

I bought an expensive mattress recently for our RV Queen size ($750) and my wife still had back issues with it. I put in a topper that I had already, and this last trip she had a good nights sleep with no back issues. I think mine came from Costco originally. Now I have to get a new set of sheets since the height is about 12" and the old fitted bottom can't quite fit.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We bought Mr. Pillows 3" topper and put it over our numbers mattress and love it.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We replaced the crappy mattress that came in our 28rbds with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079Z...b_b_asin_title

Full sized queen fit perfectly in the bedroom. It sleeps wonderfully and was affordable at $299. Time will tell how long it lasts. We got it in April or May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D11EC465-7824-495B-8BA2-59C96C4F32CF.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	180809   Click image for larger version

Name:	60985981-A6A7-432E-BB33-F86B6812C5FA.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	180810  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D662A08B-4547-46FF-A152-44A17BBCD1C4.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	180811  
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I originally used a memory foam topper that I already had. It worked OK but was very bulky. I am currently just using three ThermoRest type pads inside silk sleeping bag liners side by side and am pretty happy with that. Good luck in your search.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote