Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyr1 View Post
Hi, sorry to slightly hijack the thread.

Do you have any further information on the hardware that comes with the Mini? I've ordered one and will be going away for a week shortly after with no shore power. Is an inverter factory installed? I see it has a gp-pwm-10-sq and one 100W panel.

Thanks
Assuming by Minnie, you mean the travel trailer, there is no inverter. The solar prewire is just from the roof to the pass though storage compartment and from there to the battery. It sounds like your order includes a panel on the roof and a solar charge controller already installed.

With standard equipment the Minnies really are not well equipped for for boondocking, especially if they have the DC powered fridge. If you read through this thread and others here, there are a ton of posts covering this.

The standard grp 24/27 battery and a single 100W panel will probably not last a single day with the DC fridge, let alone run the heater fan at night, lights, an inverter and other loads for a week.

If you let us know what trailer you are getting, type of fridge, temps you will be camping in, etc we might be able to give you more advice.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a Micro Mini 2100 BH. I have ordered the 2-way propane fridge, like you stated the 12V is not a good option for boondocking.

Really just learning at this stage and figuring out some next steps. I'll do some further searching on the forum. In south west ontario temps can vary, most of the time we'll just use shore power to keep the kids quiet .

For this trip, if I can run the water pump, charge a tablet for a little then I'm good. I see the solar charge controller can only handle 200W so I may get a 100W standalone solar just to give it a kick.
jonnyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

If you can keep the power usage to a minimum, you can probably get by with your plan. This time of year up north, you don't get many hours of solar generation to keep the batteries charged. If your solar system can't keep up, an "emergency fix" is to use Jumper cables and your (running) tow vehicle to do some extra charging to get you through the week. The easiest option is to buy and run an "Inverter Generator" a couple hours a day to charge your battery, and also use that time to charge devices and for other power needed. The small "Marine" battery most dealers install is also a significant limiting factor when boondocking. If nothing else, you will learn a lot from this trip and can plan future trips/upgrades accordingly.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a Micro Mini 2100 BH. I have ordered the 2-way propane fridge, like you stated the 12V is not a good option for boondocking.

Really just learning at this stage and figuring out some next steps. I'll do some further searching on the forum. In south west ontario temps can vary, most of the time we'll just use shore power to keep the kids quiet .

For this trip, if I can run the water pump, charge a tablet for a little then I'm good. I see the solar charge controller can only handle 200W so I may get a 100W standalone solar just to give it a kick.
As recent purchasers of a 2108ds, our experience thus far is that the dc compressor fridge when pre-chilled with shore power, does not burn as many watt hours as an absorption fridge being run on dc. It is quite efficient. The heater fan uses far more watt hours than the fridge. We have come to enjoy the extra size of the dc fridge, and the safety of being able to run it without lp. However as stated by others, the MM is not equipped for boondocking. Ours is in the shop now being Re-wired with 2000w inverter Charger, and 170ah LiFePo4 battery. When fully charged the lithium battery will give us 2 days or more of dc power if we keep ac usage to a minimum. Then because lithium’s charge quickly at 50 amps, we can run a generator about 2 hrs to top off. No solar yet. Fred has provided instructions and pics on the mm thread if you want to do this yourself. I’m a wee bit too old and infirm to diy this project, so I had to hire it out. I will do the solar myself though. After the upgrade, when we get back on the road I will post observes and measured usage numbers here. I’m wiring in a negative shunt battery monitor, so measuring usage for each load should be easy.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
If you can keep the power usage to a minimum, you can probably get by with your plan. This time of year up north, you don't get many hours of solar generation to keep the batteries charged. If your solar system can't keep up, an "emergency fix" is to use Jumper cables and your (running) tow vehicle to do some extra charging to get you through the week. The easiest option is to buy and run an "Inverter Generator" a couple hours a day to charge your battery, and also use that time to charge devices and for other power needed. The small "Marine" battery most dealers install is also a significant limiting factor when boondocking. If nothing else, you will learn a lot from this trip and can plan future trips/upgrades accordingly.
One other thing about fridges. Absorption fridges have to be level In Order to work properly, operating one off level can also damage the fridge. Compressor fridges do not need to be level. The compressor fridge on a mm is 2cuft larger than the absorption option. And, if I’m not mistaken, compressor fridges are more efficient in their use of dc than absorption fridges. We thought about replacing our dc fridge with an absorption model, but since we were planning to upgrade the ah capacity, we thought it unnecessary to switch fridges.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
As recent purchasers of a 2108ds, our experience thus far is that the dc compressor fridge when pre-chilled with shore power, does not burn as many watt hours as an absorption fridge being run on dc. It is quite efficient. The heater fan uses far more watt hours than the fridge. We have come to enjoy the extra size of the dc fridge, and the safety of being able to run it without lp. However as stated by others, the MM is not equipped for boondocking. Ours is in the shop now being Re-wired with 2000w inverter Charger, and 170ah LiFePo4 battery. When fully charged the lithium battery will give us 2 days or more of dc power if we keep ac usage to a minimum. Then because lithium’s charge quickly at 50 amps, we can run a generator about 2 hrs to top off. No solar yet. Fred has provided instructions and pics on the mm thread if you want to do this yourself. I’m a wee bit too old and infirm to diy this project, so I had to hire it out. I will do the solar myself though. After the upgrade, when we get back on the road I will post observes and measured usage numbers here. I’m wiring in a negative shunt battery monitor, so measuring usage for each load should be easy.
Thanks for the info. Please let me know how you get on with the inverter and stuff. I'm only planning to use the 100W solar we have and may buy one of those portable battery things for this year, until I can plan a bigger setup if needed.

Which battery did you go for eventually? The selection and information is overwhelming. Will need to watch more Will Prowse videos.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Just jumping back into this thread to say I'm a few weeks away from getting my 2100BH, getting excited.

Also jonnyr1, before you start buying a bunch of battery stuff, I'd recommend just getting a generator so you aren't stuck without power, and you can see if what comes with the MM will be fine.
dmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Please let me know how you get on with the inverter and stuff. I'm only planning to use the 100W solar we have and may buy one of those portable battery things for this year, until I can plan a bigger setup if needed.

Which battery did you go for eventually? The selection and information is overwhelming. Will need to watch more Will Prowse videos.
After watching a Will Prowse video, I went with the Bigbattery 170ah Powerblock. It arrived with 12.7v Easy carry rope handle. I really like the on/off switch on the case. This feature saved me from having to buy another battery switch. I found out it also has a built in fuse so you don’t have to add an external fuse and terminal block. The Andersen interface makes it real easy to just unplug the battery if you want to remove it from your trailer (no wire terminals to unscrew). It’s also the least expensive LiFePo4 I could find. I bought it for $800. That’s $4.71 per amp hour. They we backordered for a couple of months, so I had to order and wait for about 3 weeks before it arrived.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
One other thing about fridges. Absorption fridges have to be level In Order to work properly, operating one off level can also damage the fridge. Compressor fridges do not need to be level. The compressor fridge on a mm is 2cuft larger than the absorption option. And, if I’m not mistaken, compressor fridges are more efficient in their use of dc than absorption fridges. We thought about replacing our dc fridge with an absorption model, but since we were planning to upgrade the ah capacity, we thought it unnecessary to switch fridges.
Absorption fridges will operate even with just a "ballpark level". Off the top of my head, I think it is +/-6 degrees front to back and +/- 3 degrees side to side. Compressors do use significantly more DC power, but you can add solar/batteries. The big advantage for compressors is in hot weather, where absorption fridges might struggle. Some compressors are safer, more reliable, etc. And 2 extra cu feet is something we would all appreciate. Once you account for the DC power requirements, the DC fridge is pretty much a "no brainer".
Old 01-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
Just jumping back into this thread to say I'm a few weeks away from getting my 2100BH, getting excited.

Also jonnyr1, before you start buying a bunch of battery stuff, I'd recommend just getting a generator so you aren't stuck without power, and you can see if what comes with the MM will be fine.
My 2100BH isn't scheduled to arrive until May :(. I cannot wait.

I never wanted to be "that guy" running a generator. I think it is fairly clear that solar won't do, especially with kids, tablets, tv and all the stuff they want to give me a quiet life. .

What generator did you purchase if any?

Thanks again for all your inputs all. Appreciated.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

I never wanted to be "that guy" running a generator. I think it is fairly clear that solar won't do, especially with kids, tablets, tv and all the stuff they want to give me a quiet life. .

The Honda EU2200 (havent purchased it yet, but thats what I'm getting).

Watch some videos of it, unless you are pulling a massive amount of power, its basically silent if you are in the RV, its "idle" noise level the decibel level of a normal conversation.

I'm exactly like you, I didnt want to be the person running their generator, but for the amount of power you say you'll be using, I doubt you'd even need to run it for more than an hour or two daily.

Also, from what I've seen, people who care about being quiet with their generators are few and far between, so you will not be the sore thumb sticking out by running it.
dmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I want a dual fuel which I will run primarily on propane. Problem for me is the Champion 3400 weighs 100 lbs. That’s a struggle for me at my age to lift in and out of my truck bed. Plus my Canyon has only 1400lbs cargo capacity. With a tongue weight of 400 lbs, I have to be real careful about the weight of stuff I put in the bed. Champion has come out with a model 2500 dual fuel which weighs only 39 lbs and is priced at $695. The only retailer which claims to have it in stock is camping world. I’ve got some time, so I plan to wait for Lowe’s to get it in stock. Lowe’s has a 10% military discount. If you have a half ton, the people I know swear by the Champion 3400, which price wise is the same cost of a Honda EU2200i.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #53
Winnie-Wise

Inverter generators like the Honda EU2200 are pretty quiet. As long as you don't run them before your camp neighbors wake up or after they go to sleep, it shouldn't bother anyone. Of course, they sound a lot louder in the wilderness than in your driveway, especially when the entire campground is asleep. Usually it's the class C's with loud auto-start gennies that kick on at 3am that tick people off...
Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #54
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy View Post
Inverter generators like the Honda EU2200 are pretty quiet. As long as you don't run them before your camp neighbors wake up or after they go to sleep, it shouldn't bother anyone. Of course, they sound a lot louder in the wilderness than in your driveway, especially when the entire campground is asleep. Usually it's the class C's with loud auto-start gennies that kick on at 3am that tick people off...
I purchased an EU2200 as my "backup" to solar (which I don't even have yet!). I figure it's small enough to put in the tow vehicle, and if I don't need to pull it out, all the better. But it is lightweight.

As for noise, I've run it in the driveway and my recollection of how quiet it should be were dashed a bit. It was the end of my travel season so I haven't brought it into the campground yet. But I was thinking at idle it was similar to a well-built quiet gasoline automobile at idle. I don't believe it'll really bother the neighbors, unless it "idles" for a long time. And yeah, 2 hours is a long time :( But I did notice, when using a heat gun as a power draw, that it did make quite a racket when you crank it up to 2 kilowatts.

And then it occurred to me that I may have to work through a tradeoff between recharging using a shorter/louder high-power approach, or a longer/quieter low-power approach. When it's spring and I'm back at the campground, I may have a few experiments to do.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I’m gonna guess you have a diesel tow vehicle. So, it makes sense to use propane generator so you don’t have to haul gasoline around. We have a gas tow vehicle. It’s got a small fuel tank. So we have to carry a 5gal gas can just in case we run low on fuel in the tow vehicle. So it made more sense for us to go with a 2200w gas generator.
I decided to convert my Honda EU2200 to LPG for maintenance reasons. Hopefully I'm not too naive about this (first generator I've owned), but I've had bad success with small engines due to my inability to maintain the gasoline and always manage to gum up the carb. So I thought LPG may solve this. As a bonus, the gen doesn't stink so I'm perfectly happy hauling it in the back of my SUV. It's never run on gasoline, and I intend to keep it that way.

BTW, so far so good with the LPG conversion. It needs more priming that the instructions imply (or I am interpreting the instructions wrong), but once I figured that out it starts on the 2nd pull. Works nice.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #56
Winnebago Owner

For those like me who have been waiting, Champion 2500w dual fuel inverter generator now available at Home Depot for $599.00. 10 day delivery. Going to a store to order mine today. Maybe not as good as a Honda, but half the cost (after conversion of eu2200 to lp), and 10 lbs lighter than Honda. Same output specs. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion...0899/315739133
Old 02-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Wow, that looks nice, and what a price! I'm curious if the propane hose really connects directly. Mine has a big cumbersome regulator (in addition to the regulation provided at the tank). This would be so much better.

Looking for a review when you get it!
Old 02-05-2021, 11:59 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Bought a Pulsar 2300 on Amazon today for $379. Would've been nice to have dual fuel, but couldn't justify the $200 difference.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On another note, I purchased a 115V to 30A Y combiner/adapter to go with it. From some reviews, you can run the AC easy peasy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #59
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

I realize this is an aging thread, but wanted to chime in with some different viewpoints.

We took delivery of a 2021 2100BH in Sept 2020. It was built post-pandemic shutdown, but before parts started running out and Winnebago started building each one a bit differently... So ours has cabinet doors that match the other "wood", a propane oven and separate microwave (which I intend to remove as soon as I acquire a cabinet door, as storage is far more useful and we boondock anyway), and a 10.4 cubic ft Dometic absorption fridge. I wish ours had the single bowl sink and another drawer where the right bowl's elbow is; O may make that modification.

It was "Wired for Solar", and unlike slightly earlier models has an MC4 entry gland on the roof. (Not a Zamp reverse SAE, and not on the side.) The wires from the roof and battery both terminate behind a "Wired for Solar" panel in the front storage. I believe they are 10AWG; they state 30A max, which for 12V pretty much means 400W of solar. It's a short run of wire to the battery to upgrade, if more solar is desired. Solar in series will keep the wiring from the roof adequate.

We upgraded the batteries to 2x Duracell 6v GC2 golf cart batteries from Sam's Club, $230 all-in incl 2x $18 core charges. That's 215A, I believe.

We started with 200W of solar. In Utah this March, with the furnace running all night, set to 60 degrees, 200W topped up the batteries every day. That was with me working on a laptop all day, evening lights, stove exhaust fan. We are about to increase to 400W for when we're camped near trees, or somewhere that it may get cloudy for days.

We (family of 3) boondock for 5-6 days at a time, could stretch to 7 if we're really conserving water, which is our limiting factor. We're backpackers, so have a lifetime of limited-resource camping experience. In addition to making sure we start with a FULL fresh tank and hot water tank, we bring a 7 gallon container of water we reserve for drinking, in addition to whatever beverages we bring. On a multi-week trips, we just plan on periodic campgrounds to dump and refill.

We do NOT own a generator. If needed, which it hasn't been, I'll use jumper cables from my truck. It has far cleaner emissions than a generator, and a 36 gallon tank. A generator would be needed for AC, but we're not planning on camping where/when that is needed. I am going to replace the front vent with a MaxxAir fan, model with a thermostat.

We do NOT have an inverter in the trailer, though there's a 400W one in our truck that I use from time to time, such as for a compressor to blow out the water when storing it (freezing nighttime temperatures.)

Regarding charging a laptop: that's a DC device. One should not really "need" AC power to charge a laptop. I use the Minnie's installed USB ports to charge my USB-C MacBook. Same with phones.

Coffee maker is a stovetop kettle and a Hario pourover. I'm a coffee lover, so not only is this battery-friendly, but I get great coffee. (At home, that's what I use, but with a faster induction kettle.)

Nothing mission-critical like a CPAP.

I am going to install a "cigarette lighter" style 12V port to power a mobile signal booster.

Our trailer is stored off-site, so we don't typically plug it in for 24 hours before using it. The absorption fridge gets very cold, very quickly on propane, even with the trailer off level about 5 degrees side-to-side. The 10 cubic feet is surprisingly adequate for us 3. Though I wouldn't argue against bigger, I am glad it's not requiring more DC power. I'd really not be happy if that put me into the generator camp.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #60
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info about your solar setup. I was unsure how much we needed, but from your post, it appears 200w is enough. Although I use a cpap and we have a compressor fridge, we’ve got plenty usable AH, so if the solar panel can deliver 25 amps per day, we’ll be able to boondock for 5 days without using generator. Let us know how the Maxxfan install goes please. Easy-Peasy install next to bed on 12v car adapter outlet, wired to 20amp blade fuse. Maybe harder for you to find a good location.

Tags
solar