Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery issue

Took 2019 TT camping and the battery will not charge even when running the generator. Any suggestions. Ran generator for 4 hours and no charge to house battery
lpbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Perhaps the battery disconnect is in the off position? The cables are not connected firmly? What have you checked? What is the current voltage of the battery?

What model TT. More details please.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree "more details please". My assumption is that you are feeding 115 VAC to the trailer with your generator. The battery disconnect, if you have one, needs to be on. Here is a drawing of the 12 volt DC junction box on the front inside of the frame of our 2250DS. If the push button reset breaker has popped then the battery will not charge from the trailer. Get a voltmeter, learn how to use it, and track down where you are loosing the DC charging voltage. You may have a problem with the AC to DC converter.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Battery issue

No blown fuses tt plugged in to a receptacle at the house. Battery check was 1/3 according to the panel and immediately drained. I will check the cable connections. Disconnect was not in the off position it was showing green
Old 10-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbaca View Post
No blown fuses tt plugged in to a receptacle at the house. Battery check was 1/3 according to the panel and immediately drained. I will check the cable connections. Disconnect was not in the off position it was showing green

I would get the battery checked. You may have drained the battery past the point where it will recharge. The 12v batteries have no where near the regeneration of the deep 6v batteries. You can drain a 6v battery and it will usually recharge itself, Most 12v batteries can only be partially drained, if you completely drain the battery you will damage it, you need to recharge it before it becomes completely depleted.
TrailerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I wonder if your TT might have an A/C power setup like my 27Q motorhome? All A/C power on our coach flows through the 30 amp umbilical cord. When that cord is connected to a campground power post or and outside outlet at home, the coach is powered up with 120 volts. That's normal ops, right?

But when that 30 amp cord is disconnected and A/C power will or may be needed from the generator, the cord must be plugged into an outlet in the electrical compartment that connects the generator output to the coach.

I'm sure most Class A's have a switch to accomplish this simple changeover, but I suspect our lower/middle range RVs don't have this feature due to cost considerations. Thus we have an extra step or two to handle power distribution.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I plugged in the TT for 2days and no charge to the house battery. This a new TT. I will check that the charging system is working correctly tonight. Will let you know thanks
Old 10-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
blubugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbaca View Post
Took 2019 TT camping and the battery will not charge even when running the generator. Any suggestions. Ran generator for 4 hours and no charge to house battery
What model? Sounds like your batteries are not connected to the house. Most TTs have a battery disconnect rotary switch probably located somewhere inside a storage compartment close to the house battery box [front of TT].
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #9
blubugger

Since you do have a disconnect switch...cycle it a few times, sometimes a bad or open connection may be a possibility.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I will try that this evening
Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
blubugger

And....another point....12volt battery [and most batteries need to be cycled or used to keep them up to par]. Just having the batteries on a trickle charger etc. will not ensure optimum performance.
An easy way is on battery power, plug a 12volt light or fan into any power point [cig. Lighter port etc.] and let it cycle up/down for a bit. These systems do require constant attention! If you have the luxury of having the TT at your abode, that is relatively easy. If in storage, that may take some planning etc. to check on the battery status. Nuff said.....
Old 10-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I metered the battery with the trailer not plugged in gotca reading of 9.7. With the trailer plugged in the house. I read 13.34 v. This should indicate the converter is working correct
Old 10-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a dead battery or batteries to me.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
blubugger

Dead Battery??

Heres a listing of battery volts for one type of battery and depletion. At under 10volts the battery is indeed toast.
A caveat may be that you can "try" cycling the battery...charge, place a load on it [even a 12volt light will suffice...incandescent not LED!] and repeat several times. You might get that battery to wake up, although that possibility is small.
The discussion about 6volt batteries is indeed true: 6volt jobbies, which register less than 4 or 5 volts can be recovered by cycling them.
I had an acquaintance who had 4 of the 6volt batteries completely drained and by cycling them, he recovered their usefullness.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

BluBugger is correct, 6v golf cart batteries can be revived more successfully. Personally, I'd take them to a battery shop and have it done professionally.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery