Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
2020 2108FBS

B/U Camera

Does anyone know of a good wireless backup camera. I had the Furrion on my last TT and after about 6 to 8 months it was useless due to water in the camera. I looked up reviews on the Voyager camera and it looks like it has a moisture issue also. I saw on that attaches magnetically but it shuts off in around 3 minutes. I don’t need one when on the road, just when backing in to a spot. I am widowed and usually travel by myself so a B/U camera is helpful.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I really like my Garmin BC-30 rearview camera. It is hardwired for power but connects wirelessly to my Garmin GPS. It is an older model (as is my GPS). Newer versions are now available. The big gotcha is that you have to use a Garmin GPS as far as I know.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie 26A

I bought the Garmin 770 GPS and The Back-up Camera package. The Back-up Camera works very well, and as mentioned is Wireless up to the dash. Very wide field of view.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
2020 2108FBS

How do you install it? I’m presided for the voyager camera. Will it install in the voyager housing. Any adapters needed ?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
How do you install it? I’m presided for the voyager camera. Will it install in the voyager housing. Any adapters needed ?
I had the Voyager AOM-78 rearview camera system in my coach. The old CRT monitor eventually died in January of 2018 so that is when I replaced it with the Garmin BC-30. Here is roughly what I did:
1. I removed the old Voyager monitor and bracket from above the dash and re-upholstered the area where it was mounted - looks great.
2. I re-used the the Voyager wiring to provide power to the BC-30 camera on the rear of the coach. I had to splice two wires in the TV cabinet above the dash and splice the Garmin BC-30 power and ground wires in a rear cabinet over the bed.
3. I removed the old Voyager camera from the back of the coach but left the bracket. I just cut the wire off as close to the camera as possible to give me maximum length. The Voyager wire comes out the back wall of the coach through a rubber grommet. I pried that out and fortunately there was about 10 inches of excess cable to work with.
4. I then drilled a small clearance hole through the existing hole (where I removed the grommet) through the back wall of the coach into the cabinet over the bed. I fed the original Voyager camera wire and the Garmin camera wire (using a new grommet) through that hole into the cabinet where I spliced the power and grounds together. So I have I short loop of wire and the camera wireless transmitter mounted in that rear cabinet.
5. The mounting screws for the Garmin camera are pretty short so I just pre-drilled a couple of holes into the old Voyager camera bracket and used the Garmin self-tapping screws to mount the new camera. I then caulked were I thought necessary.

Fortunately, I had a cabinet on the rear wall of the coach over the bed to hide the new camera transmitter otherwise I'm not sure how I would have handled it.

The new camera does not have audio.The old Voyager had audio that it picked up from the rear of the coach via the camera. I guess it was so you could hear someone giving you voice instructions from back there. I never used the audio so don't miss it. In fact, the audio would come on at random times for no apparent reason - very annoying while driving!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I find audio to be pretty useless for backing as the most noise I get is the "blub,blub, blub" of the engine idle as I back in, very hard to hear my wife from any distance away. We normally keep the camera off due to noise as it starts randomly and each time I go into reverse such as passing from park to drive!
Nothing as good as an actual pair of eyes to watch in all directions and we have finally worked it out that I don't move until we can see each other in the mirrors! Too many small things like grills, bottles, or limbs that are not seen in cameras.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
2020 2108FBS

Thanks for the info on installation. As far as sound I have found what works best for me is cell phones. If I have someone guiding me into a space we use cell phones and not hand signals. I have Bluetooth in my truck so I am hands free on the phone and the person guiding me does not have to be where I can see them in my mirrors. Work great for me.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Does anyone know of a good wireless backup camera. I had the Furrion on my last TT and after about 6 to 8 months it was useless due to water in the camera. I looked up reviews on the Voyager camera and it looks like it has a moisture issue also. I saw on that attaches magnetically but it shuts off in around 3 minutes. I don’t need one when on the road, just when backing in to a spot. I am widowed and usually travel by myself so a B/U camera is helpful.
Go on Amazon. They have many models to choose from with numerous features. I bought mine for about $160. Easy to install, nice clear and bright picture.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

backup camera for micro mini

i have a 2020 micro mini and it is prewired for a backup camera. has anyone installed one to theirs using the pre wired feature? if so, which camera did you put in? there are a lot out there and would like some thoughts before i buy onel
thanks for your input. stay safe.
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenut View Post
i have a 2020 micro mini and it is prewired for a backup camera. has anyone installed one to theirs using the pre wired feature? if so, which camera did you put in? there are a lot out there and would like some thoughts before i buy onel
thanks for your input. stay safe.
yes, I have but have not used it yet LOL pull through sites. I have messed with it though, it's not terrible
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

thanks for the reply. which camera did you get? did you install or have it done? dealer told me to get one on amazon and they would install it for $250-300. that seems high?! there are so many on amazon. hard to know which one will work on my micro mini wiring. i have a long narrow driveway i am trying to back my trailer in so wanted something to help me see backing up in it.
giraffenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffenut View Post
thanks for the reply. which camera did you get? did you install or have it done? dealer told me to get one on amazon and they would install it for $250-300. that seems high?! there are so many on amazon. hard to know which one will work on my micro mini wiring. i have a long narrow driveway i am trying to back my trailer in so wanted something to help me see backing up in it.
the voyager, and the 4.something monitor... I had it done when I bought it. I used it dicking around in a parking lot. I have not had to use it in the real world.. I can't even remember if there is sound LOL it will work for your drive way
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera