Originally Posted by TomC
How do you install it? Iím presided for the voyager camera. Will it install in the voyager housing. Any adapters needed ?
I had the Voyager AOM-78 rearview camera system in my coach. The old CRT monitor eventually died in January of 2018 so that is when I replaced it with the Garmin BC-30. Here is roughly what I did:
1. I removed the old Voyager monitor and bracket from above the dash and re-upholstered the area where it was mounted - looks great.
2. I re-used the the Voyager wiring to provide power to the BC-30 camera on the rear of the coach. I had to splice two wires in the TV cabinet above the dash and splice the Garmin BC-30 power and ground wires in a rear cabinet over the bed.
3. I removed the old Voyager camera from the back of the coach but left the bracket. I just cut the wire off as close to the camera as possible to give me maximum length. The Voyager wire comes out the back wall of the coach through a rubber grommet. I pried that out and fortunately there was about 10 inches of excess cable to work with.
4. I then drilled a small clearance hole through the existing hole (where I removed the grommet) through the back wall of the coach into the cabinet over the bed. I fed the original Voyager camera wire and the Garmin camera wire (using a new grommet) through that hole into the cabinet where I spliced the power and grounds together. So I have I short loop of wire and the camera wireless transmitter mounted in that rear cabinet.
5. The mounting screws for the Garmin camera are pretty short so I just pre-drilled a couple of holes into the old Voyager camera bracket and used the Garmin self-tapping screws to mount the new camera. I then caulked were I thought necessary.
Fortunately, I had a cabinet on the rear wall of the coach over the bed to hide the new camera transmitter otherwise I'm not sure how I would have handled it.
The new camera does not have audio.The old Voyager had audio that it picked up from the rear of the coach via the camera. I guess it was so you could hear someone giving you voice instructions from back there. I never used the audio so don't miss it. In fact, the audio would come on at random times for no apparent reason - very annoying while driving!