Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Andersen WDH or a more conventional one

I just purchased a 22 - 2100BH. To tow it I have a 2019 GMC Canyon with a 2.8 diesel. The truck has the power to pull it but what I've learned since I bought it was that payload capacity is just if not more important than towing power. Anyway, I'm looking for a weight distribution hitch. I'm leaning towards an Andersen hitch because of it's light weight and easy of operation; however I'm wondering if it can really distribute weight as well as a conventional type hitch. Would appreciate advise from you more experienced towers. This site is very helpful wish I would have known about it before I bought my Canyon. Most of you are wonderful and very helpful.
grogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The Anderson hitch does a great job of sway control, but not much weight distribution. A torsion bar weight distribution hitch would work better if that is what you want. Reese and others also have friction sway control arms as part of the package.

David
Old 12-28-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You're not operating at an extreme in terms of weight so I think a pretty standard hitch like a Reese with a sway control would be just fine.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Site Team

I've not used an Anderson Hitch, though they are very popular.

I towed with a Husky Center Line which uses square bars instead of chains. It was easy to use, provided great weight distribution and really good sway control. I was a big fan. And, the bars could be matched to the load - they have 6000lb, 120000lb and 14000lb versions available. So, when we upgraded to a larger TT all we needed to do was get some heavier weight bars.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I tow our 2108ds with a gas 4x4 Canyon Denali with just 1,340 payload. Because you have a Duramax, may have less payload than I do, and I’ve had to work hard at getting weight off the rear axle. You can tow safely, but you’ll have to careful not to put much weight in the bed. I chose the Husky Centerline because IMHO, it had the heftiest torsion bars with sway control built into the hitch. The Canyon receiver is low compared to the coupler height of the trailer when it’s level. So, to get a level tow be careful to mount the ball on a slider that goes high enough. Leveling the trailer and measuring helps. The centerline does a good job of shifting weight to the front axle. If you will have more than two people in the Canyon, you may exceed GVWR or Rear GAWR.

Edit: I’ve cat scaled with and without the bars on. When off, I’m 200 lbs over Rear GAWR with noticeable squat. When on, I’m just under limit, and very little squat.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all who have responded. So far; it looks like a conventional type hitch is the way to go. My Canyon's payload is only 1316; however it will be just me and sometimes my wife and her small shetland sheepdog (33lbs). My maximum tongue weight is 770 but I do not see how I will ever reach that. The dry tongue weight on the camper is 468 I believe.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think you’ll be fine on tongue weight. I was at 650 lbs on my 2100BH with twin 6V batteries, twin 30lb propane bottles, and most of my cargo forward of the axles.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hitch

I have a blue ox and love it. I even had a quick avoid situation on the way out to my current camp and felt no sway from the trailer.
ocbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The Andersen does just fine for both sway control AND weight distribution. I found it easy to install and adjust. Even better, it's real easy to take on and off at the destination.
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
The Andersen does just fine for both sway control AND weight distribution. I found it easy to install and adjust. Even better, it's real easy to take on and off at the destination.
Thanks for your input. Would you state what is your model and tow truck so I can compare it with mine. Locating a the best WD hitch is a challenge.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Ditto here. I'd buy the Andersen again. No spring bars to deal with.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewizard View Post
Ditto here. I'd buy the Andersen again. No spring bars to deal with.
Thanks for your response. I just put in an order for an Andersen hitch part 3350 from RV Parts Country. Best price I could find. I was a bit concern about the weight distribution of an Andersen but the 2100HD is relatively light compared to larger campers. Most reviews and I've read many indicated the Andersen does a good job of weight distribution. Plus, with limited payload and me being 79 need a hitch that is light weight. Most them are twice as heavy as the Andersen.

Anyway, to all a Happy and Safe New Year
Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Grogers:

Measure the inches of hitch drop when you hook up your TT with no WDH, and then measure with. That is the acid test of WDHs. You should get little drop with.

David
Old 12-31-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Grogers:

Measure the inches of hitch drop when you hook up your TT with no WDH, and then measure with. That is the acid test of WDHs. You should get little drop with.

David
I will certainly do that. Thanks
Old 01-02-2022, 10:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Equal-I-zer. That’s the best.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Anderson hitch

I have an Anderson with a 2108DS and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Anderson will distribute as much weight as needed. I really like it and enjoy that the WDH is not too heavy. It is also quiet and easy to connect/disconnect.
Jctucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
Thanks for your input. Would you state what is your model and tow truck so I can compare it with mine. Locating a the best WD hitch is a challenge.
Hmm...I've had that in my signature for ages and it seems to have stopped posting.

Anyway, here it is:
2019 Micro Minnie 2108DS with upgrades and mods here
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser, RedArc TowPro-Elite, Andersen 3380 WDH

Oh, and now I see it's being added again. Well, you get to see it twice

I can pretty easily work out the squat by tightening the chains, and the nice thing is that once you do that, you don't ever need to loosen them again (unless re-adjusting for some reason). You just raise the hitch with the jack to loosen things up and pull the pin. I haven't run the whole setup over a scale, though. I need to do that this next season.

Todd
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hmm...I've had that in my signature for ages and it seems to have stopped posting.

Anyway, here it is:
2019 Micro Minnie 2108DS with upgrades and mods here
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser, RedArc TowPro-Elite, Andersen 3380 WDH

Oh, and now I see it's being added again. Well, you get to see it twice

I can pretty easily work out the squat by tightening the chains, and the nice thing is that once you do that, you don't ever need to loosen them again (unless re-adjusting for some reason). You just raise the hitch with the jack to loosen things up and pull the pin. I haven't run the whole setup over a scale, though. I need to do that this next season.

Todd
Thanks for getting back with me. I feel confident the Andersen will work for me too. Take care and be safe.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I’m no expert, I’m fact I knew nothing about WDH before I got my 2100BH back in June, except that I needed one. Because dealers were not really “dealing” back then, I agreed to their price if they would include a WDH and back up camera. They agreed and installed a ReCurve R3 on my trailer. Since then I now have about 2000 miles on it, a lot of those miles traveling on the Interstate in some pretty good winds. I did have prior experience towing a hay trailer and I can tell you my WDH works great and it is easy to use. I suspect most of the major brands would work well and if I knew more about the differences, it would come down to personal preference.

TV is a 2021 Ford F150.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent