Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Amazing lack of support from Winnebago.

We like our 26RBSS but I’m no fan of Winnebago. They were really supportive when we wanted to but it, after that not so much. Immediately when we bought it we discovered the furnace wasn’t working. I called the dealer and they said it would take 2 to 3 months to repair it due to Winnebagos typical several week wait to approve warranty work. We had to leave on a trip so I ended up paying a tech to come and repair it. My phone calls and emails when unanswered so I chalked up to experience. Yesterday I emailed them for recommendations on lubricant for the windows. I was amazed to get a reply. Here’s the reply, sorry Mr so and so. We have no knowledge how to do maintenance on the windows. You can try lippert industries that make them for us. I contacted lippert and they said they had no idea how to maintain them. You can’t make this crap up. I don’t fault lippert but Winnebago is a whole other story. I would never buy another or recommend.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I’ve used it and it does little. Had to be repeated every couple days. But if that’s the best solution that’s what I have to live with.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Why? Your windows don’t slide? There is such a thing as too much dry lubricant. Have you tried cleaning the tracks with mineral spirits or similar solvents?

I don’t believe Winnebago actively recommends any kind of window track lube. Do they?

I’ve owned five RVs over 20-yrs and never lubricanted a window. So I’m not much help.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
We like our 26RBSS but I’m no fan of Winnebago. They were really supportive when we wanted to but it, after that not so much.
Don’t make the mistake of thinking a Winnebago dealer is the same as Winnebago the manufacturer. The manufacturer has little to no power or control over any of their retail dealers. It’s not the same as an auto dealers connection to the manufacturer.

The fact that a dealer was responsive before the sale and not so after the sale is common to probably 90% of all RV buyers.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Don’t make the mistake of thinking a Winnebago dealer is the same as Winnebago the manufacturer. The manufacturer has little to no power or control over any of their retail dealers. It’s not the same as an auto dealers connection to the manufacturer.

The fact that a dealer was responsive before the sale and not so after the sale is common to probably 90% of all RV buyers.
My dealer failing to follow-through on promises post receipt of Motorhome did not surprise me.

What stunned me was the lack of response I got from the service department when I wanted aftermarket work done. Things that before the sale they said they would love to do. My impression was that the service department was a solid revenue source for the dealer.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

After purchasing our 2021 View last June, we've had great support from both Lichtsinn and Winnebago.

Our biggest issue has been with service away from Lichtsinn (we live in Houston and have done two Houston-LA trips in the last 6 weeks).

The local Houston dealer initially refused to do a Winnebago recall on the coach door strut - and only agreed to make an appointment (a month out) after Winnebago contacted them on our behalf - and even then, they didn't properly perform the recall, so some of that work will have to be redone.

The other issue is with service during trips. Our auto transfer switch went out in Phoenix (would not run on shore power). The local Winnebago dealers could help us with appointments several months out. Fortunately, we were able to get Amazon to ship us a replacement overnight, and after several hours of calling anyone in the region that works on RVs, we were able to get someone to install the replacement ATS.

While Lichtsinn and Winnebago have both been great to work with so far, Winnebago could do much more to get their dealerships to provide service for vehicles not sold through their dealership - and to provide help when the local dealerships can't do the repairs when needed (we called CoachNet - but they really can't help on something like our ATS failure...).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
While Lichtsinn and Winnebago have both been great to work with so far, Winnebago could do much more to get their dealerships to provide service for vehicles not sold through their dealership
According to Winnebago, th factory/dealer sales agreement is not strong enough for the company to force a dealer to do anything. This is a historical issue and something most all RV brands share. Dealers are almost totally independent of any manufacturer that they sell products for.

I'm not making excuses for WBGO, but these problems you folks have complained about are typical of ALL RV brands. As you may have noticed many RV manufacturers go in and out of business with economic cycles and RV dealers disappear, are sold and add or drop new brands routinely.

Within the RV industry there is a lot of talk about fixing this situation but very little, if anything, is actually done about it.

I hesitate to say it, because folks will accuse me of giving up, but just about all of us have had to find other methods of get work done on our RVs. It's not that it should be that way, but if you want to use your RV there is not much other choice.

Those of us that have owned RVs for a number of years, experiencing sales and service of many different brands understand what we are up against. However, in times like these, with Covid, thousands of new RVs buyers are experiencing this for the first time and are learning a hard lesson that I'm sure seems totally unfair.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
2019 1706fb

Yeah, owning an RV be it a trailer or a Class B, Class C you'll have long wait times for maintenance, even warranty work. RV's are owner hands-on maintenance if you want it done quick, that's just how it is with RV's.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My lack of service came from Winnebago not the dealer. It was the long expected wait for warranty approval that had me fix my furnace on my own dime. It was Winnebago that ignored my request for reimbursement for the work, not the dealer. It was Winnebago that doesn’t know how to maintain the windows. I know they are all that way. It’s frustrating and venting was required by the owner.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
My lack of service came from Winnebago not the dealer. It was the long expected wait for warranty approval that had me fix my furnace on my own dime. It was Winnebago that ignored my request for reimbursement for the work, not the dealer. It was Winnebago that doesn’t know how to maintain the windows. I know they are all that way. It’s frustrating and venting was required by the owner.
I have a different experience with Winnebago (and they don't know me from Adam). I had a water heater issue immediately after purchase that the dealer couldn't address and with one phone call and zero proof other than my words they sent me $300 worth of replacement circuit board, igniter and thermistor via overnight mail.

Are you positive your dealer submitted the warranty claim to WBGO in a timely fashion? We've seen other members take their RV to a dealer, the dealer tells the customer that they'll contact the manufacturer and get approval for repair/replacement right away. But when the customer checks with WBGO a week to 10-days later it turns out the dealer hasn't gotten around to it and no claim has even been made.

I'm not saying that's what happened in this case. But it has happened before. We've learned to not trust anything we're told by the dealer. And the dealer's comment that WBGO usually takes 2-3 months to approve a warranty repair is simple false. Two to three months for your dealer to take in the RV, troubleshoot the problem, apply for warranty repair, receive approval, receive the replacement and install and deliver to you. Yes, sure. That's a common occurrence.

As for reimbursement after you had it fixed, that's pretty unusual and we've not seen that happening for reasonable charges for repair of in warranty RVs. Though in every case when reimbursement has been reported the owner got pre-approval from WBGO warranty service before having the work completed independently.

As for the window lubrication issue - that is not a regular maintenance item on your or other RVs. It's not in your Operator's Manual and in my experience is not a thing that I would expect them to have a standard answer for. The people you contact are going to look up the official response to your request and if there isn't one - which it seems there isn't - then they will not have an answer. I realize you feel they should have an answer to this question and that it's important to you.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Many years ago, For a couple of years, I sold Beaver and Country Coach MotorHomes most of which went out the door at over $400k. It was not uncommon for a new coach to come back to the dealership inside of a year for repairs. Nearly all components of the coaches carried separate manufacturer warranties. The coach manufacturer took very little responsibility. My experience has been that manufacturers of the major components (engine, chassis, appliances) were very easy to work with in order to effect a fast warranty repair/replacement. If something went wrong with the coach itself, you could expect the coach to remain in the service department for weeks awaiting warranty repair approvals from the coach maker. So things don’t get any better as the cost of an RV increases.

If you’re having problems getting warranty service through your dealer, I hope you kept all of your warranty paperwork for your major components. If you did, You can actually get repair/replace approvals directly from the manufacturers, sometimes having to go through an authorized service rep. In many cases it’s easier and faster to replace the component yourself. When you buy, try to stick with the more reliable brands, as they also provide the best warranty and support. Brands like Dometic and Norcold are pretty good. For entertainment gear and microwaves, you’re in for frustration. Slides are normally warranted only through the coach manufacturer.

You should not have to take your RV back to your original dealer, or even to a dealer that sells your brand of RV. If a dealership services warranty for major component manufacturers, they should be able to service any brand of RV.

Good luck, and think of doing the smaller stuff yourself.

Tags
winnebago