Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Alternative to "Entertainment Center"????

I have a 2019 2106DS and find the "Entertainment System" nearly worthless. I was wondering if anyone had some alternatives.

I looked on Crutchfield and didn't find anything useful. It would be nice to have one that could run apps or at least somehow access Netflix and Prime Video, etc. But maybe something else entirely, like maybe a power inverter to plug in the TV when not connected to power.

Right now I'm just using a Fire Stick plugged into the HDMI port of the TV. Apparently the LG TV that came free with the trailer is a stripped down model that only has one HDMI port instead of the two which typically come with that model, so that makes the entertainment center even more useless.

FWIW, I don't care at all about being able to play noise outside, so that's not a factor.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Not many of us know what Entertainment Center comes in a 2106DS. So, how about a description, a photo, a model number. Something, anything to let us know what you need. If we know, I'm pretty sure a lot of us are willing to help you with ideas.

Yes, the TVs on all but the most expensive motorhomes are stripped down, old model TVs. Few are smart TVs. Some are models sold to OEMs over a decade ago. Luckily, they are super cheap and you can replace your with the latest model for a couple hundred dollars if you need to.

Come to think of it... that pretty much describes the entertainment center, and most other 3rd party device added to RVs these days.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't have a picture, but it's a Jensen. It looks something like this one, but it might be wider.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JWM....html?tp=89275

I'm not really a fan of SmartTVs, but that would actually work well in an RV. I hadn't thought of that. That could even be a cheaper way to go. I don't really care about the ability to play DVDs or Blu-Ray.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Team

OK, that's tells us it's a single DIN sized in-dash radio. What functions does it have? Is it the DVD player for the TV? Does it power outdoor speakers?

What about it's performance is "worthless"

Actually, you may find that a smart tv is not as flexible as using a streaming device - unless you get a smart TV with Roku built in.

And, as far as cheaper goes... well getting set up to do all your TV watching via a dataplan on a cell phone or MiFi device can get expensive because of the amount of data streaming uses per hour and the limitations of cellular dataplans. Even the so-called "unlimited data plans." You'll find they are all limited to X amount of gigs of data at high enough speeds to stream video. The unlimited part is that the data doesn't stop it just slows to unusable speeds for streaming.

We use a Roku on our TVs on the RV (and home too) and we have invested large amounts in multiple data devices, boosters, antenna's and sought out truly unlimited dataplans. So, we know its possible - it's just not "less expensive."
Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
OK, that's tells us it's a single DIN sized in-dash radio. What functions does it have? Is it the DVD player for the TV? Does it power outdoor speakers?

What about it's performance is "worthless"
I read the manual and couldn't tell if it was both DVD and Blu-ray, but it is at least DVD and did connect to the TV. It does power outdoor speakers, but I'd likely not hook that back up. I'm never going to listen to anything outside and would be afraid of accidentally having it turned on. It does have a radio.

Another alternative idea besides a power inverter would be a CB radio. I go on hikes and that would likely have better range than just a hand-held inside the trailer.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Oh, and if you don't want to buy a different TV but need more HDMI ports you can simply get an HDMI splitter that will allow you to switch between multiple HDMI sources. They are not supper expensive.

Here's a 2-source splitter for $15 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/HD-102-Powere.../dp/B005HXFARS
Old 03-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Team

You can buy a BlueRay player for less than $80. Get a HDMI splitter and it sounds like all of your needs would be met for under $100. Just ignore or disconnect the Jensen system.

Here's a Sony BD player with built-in WiFi and smart functions for under $70:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS3700.../dp/B01AT6B0DK
Old 03-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Here's a Sony BD player with built-in WiFi and smart functions for under $70:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDPS3700.../dp/B01AT6B0DK
I hadn't thought of that route. I even own such a device for home, but I don't use it much. So little I keep it unplugged. I could easily transfer it.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't have a picture, but it's a Jensen. It looks something like this one, but it might be wider.

I went to do some stuff at the trailer today, and that does appear to be the model. I can't believe it costs so much.

I also noted the framing seemingly allows a taller device (double din??) above, so that may open up some options.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I use an Amazone Firestick to watch Prime, it is really small and plugs into the TV's HDMI port. Cost me a whole $25.00.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #11
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I read the manual and couldn't tell if it was both DVD and Blu-ray, but it is at least DVD and did connect to the TV. It does power outdoor speakers, but I'd likely not hook that back up. I'm never going to listen to anything outside and would be afraid of accidentally having it turned on. It does have a radio.
Ah, yes, the Jensen JWM is feature rich but lacking in quality. In our coach (Winnebago View) it will play audio to 3 different speaker stations (outside, ceiling at cab bunk and at coach sitting area). and it will take inputs; both RCA and HDMI, play from USB (music only so far for me), Bluetooth - both in playing music and controlling the JWM (with the Jensen App).
So it does a lot, however, I often get frustrated with the unit and have sought a high-end replacement but I've had no luck.
The Jensen JWM seems to have been made strictly for RV application where other 12 volt entertainment units are meant for vehicles. There are other makes out there that are close to what the Jensen does but don't fit the hole/space the Jensen sets in. This is an issue for me since my Jensen sets below the counter next to the kitchen sink.

I've adapted in other ways. I have a small (mini) desktop PC that I have a small portable Blu-Ray DVD connected to. I play both my Blu-Ray disc and downloaded stuff from Netflix and others from the mini PC. I only use the Jensen to play the audio from the PC.

If you are interested in my setup let me know and I can share more details.

Bobby
Old 03-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

<clip>
That appears to be the same model we have. It does play DVDs but not Blu-Ray. One of the weird things was the TV would turn on when we put a CD in; I had to dig and dig and finally someone on this forum pointed me in the right direction on how to bypass that "feature".

My device hangs on playing regular CDs and MP3s that are on a CD. It will play a few tracks then stall; I have to either use the remote or get up and manually forward to the next track. This didn't show up during the PDI as we didn't let it play long enough. In the interim I've copied what I want to a flash drive and it seems to have no problem with that, but that is not our normal mode of providing music - we just want to put the CDs we use in the truck into the trailer.

It is presently being replaced under warranty (the trailer is in the shop), but I don't know if the new one will perform any better! Most of the reviews I've read on the device pan it. I will say it sounds a lot better than the one in my old TT, but that also could be the speaker placement. One seems to need a PhD to figure out how to use the darned thing - the manual is sorely lacking in details.

Let us know what you end up doing.