Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, exterior walls, floor, and roof structure are aluminum framed. The interior walls, at least as near as I can tell, are wood framed (and lightly framed at that).
MainelyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Well, I stand corrected.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyScott View Post
As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, exterior walls, floor, and roof structure are aluminum framed. The interior walls, at least as near as I can tell, are wood framed (and lightly framed at that).
That would make it as good as a Squarestream!
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I seem to recall reading that they are aluminum framed, at least for the outside walls and roof. I've attached things to the walls and have found aluminum studs almost every time.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Take a look at this link:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...innie/overview
Fzyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

My first TT was a Forest River Palomino - Palomini. It was cheaply constructed. Had 1" fiberglass-luan plywood-foam sandwich walls. The first thing I did to it was reinforce all the structural wood components on the inside. I.E. the bed, dinette benches, and bunkbeds. Everything was made out of 1" clear pine. Some had cracks from the fastners splitting the wood, other spars just didn't look sturdy enough. Fast forward to the last few weeks when I decided to upgrade trailers to the 2108DS with all of the end of year sales going on. I inspected the trailer top to bottom for the same type of defects. I did find some of the same construction flaws, but I also found aluminum framing under the bed and slide out. I looked at other manufacturers trailers and they were constructed the same way. So what I learned is that they all have issues like this. However, the winnebago line seemed to be better quality and value for the $$ in almost every other category. The wood can be replaced in an afternoon. All I would have to do is rip some 1"x4" clear pine and cut it to the same size and shape as the pieces that need to be replaced or reinforced. I know you shouldn't have to do this on a brand new trailer, but if you plan on keeping it for awhile, it might be worth the piece of mind. I plan on doing this when I put in some cabinet doors on the ends of the dinette for easy access. Whether you buy a $15k trailer or a $50k trailer, they are all made with the same cheap components. The only way to get around this is to buy an Airstream International Serenity edition. Those are crafted like a fine yacht, and the price is reflected accordingly. As far as the walls are studded out, on Winnebago's website it looks like the sides are once piece framed out in 1/4" aluminum with I-beam aluminum studs every 24". I'm sure there the walls are built like this from the inside out, wallboard-luan-closed cell foam-luan-fiberglass/gelcoat. They seem thicker than other manufacturers. My Palomini had only 1" thick walls. The Minnie's look to be around 1.5" thick. I'm not sure what the roof spars are made out of. It looks very well built compared to other manufacturers. Overall, I think the Winnebago TT line is the best out there in the price range.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

DS storage options

We have a 2108DS, and we found the under dinette storage not very accessable. We installed deep drawers on both sides that pull out to just shy of the galley cabinets. I used self closing slides to keep them shut during travel. The space behind the drawers is still usable for seldom used stuff, (like winter clothing)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzyace View Post
We have a 2108DS, and we found the under dinette storage not very accessable. We installed deep drawers on both sides that pull out to just shy of the galley cabinets. I used self closing slides to keep them shut during travel. The space behind the drawers is still usable for seldom used stuff, (like winter clothing)
Do you have any pictures? I like this idea.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

DS storage options

I've attempted to attach pictures of the drawers I added to our DS. Let me know if it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_164657[1].jpg
Views:	176
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	170686   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181213_164809[1].jpg
Views:	124
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	170687  

Name:	20181213_164840[1].jpg
Views:	168
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	170688  
Old 12-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Nice work! I think I’d add a divider at the side of the drawer so that items stored in the space next to it can’t interfere with the drawer operation. But nice job, certainly makes the space more accessible ��
Old 03-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #31
blubugger

The 2106ds is our second Winnie the other being the 2002 Vista Class C. On both, the end caps on the 4" bumper tend to get lost, fall out etc. I drilled a 1/4" hole top and bottom in the bumper [~ 3/8" from the edge] with thru holes top and bottom on the caps. A suitable 4 1/2" nail/gutter pin or the like fits thru the bumper. This makes for positive control, never a lost cap, no waste water hoses flying off onto the highway.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Here's my solution. Been on there for two years and almost 20,000 miles. Gorilla tape is great stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bumpercap01.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	171385  
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I bought the "Camco No Insect Bumper Plugs" from Walmart to replace the disappearing version from the factory. I also put them on my new trailer before my first trip. They stay on but are easy to take off. The screen type backing makes a lot of sense especially when storing damp hoses in the bumper.
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #34
blubugger

Thats cool! Remember we need WD-40 and duct tape, WD-40 for things that stick but you want to slide and duct tape for things that slide but you want to stick.

I dont know if Confusious ever said that, but seems smart.
Blubugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhfromme View Post
Just got it home last Saturday. Haven't used it yet other than out in the driveway. I did get Netflix working though. And I figured out how to get the TV volume over the stereo speakers. Pretty sweet.

We're just like you. It's time to have some fun dammit!
Please do tell how to get TV sound out of the sound system.
Thanks.
RustyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

My wife and I are proud owner of a new 2020 2108FBS. Been out with it twice to kick the tires and everything is working great! Thanks Winnebago!

Now the real questions:
1) Thinking about getting a Blackstone burner for cooking outside. I notice the 17" tabletop runs off of the 16oz disposal bottles. I was wondering if anybody has used the quick connect under the trailer to hook up their Blackstone. I'm trying to figure out if there is enough if a pressure difference between the regulated quick connect line and the Blackstone input requirement. (Sorry for the technical talk, but once and engineer always and engineer! :-))

2) Also thinking about putting a bike rack on the rear bumper for our two mountain bikes. The dealer said the rear bumper is rated for 200 lbs and the mounted spare tire is about 1/2 that. The two bikes only weigh about 30 lbs. Anybody have any information about that?

Love to camp and explore!
RustyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyD View Post
My wife and I are proud owner of a new 2020 2108FBS. Been out with it twice to kick the tires and everything is working great! Thanks Winnebago!

Now the real questions:
1) Thinking about getting a Blackstone burner for cooking outside. I notice the 17" tabletop runs off of the 16oz disposal bottles. I was wondering if anybody has used the quick connect under the trailer to hook up their Blackstone. I'm trying to figure out if there is enough if a pressure difference between the regulated quick connect line and the Blackstone input requirement. (Sorry for the technical talk, but once and engineer always and engineer! :-))

2) Also thinking about putting a bike rack on the rear bumper for our two mountain bikes. The dealer said the rear bumper is rated for 200 lbs and the mounted spare tire is about 1/2 that. The two bikes only weigh about 30 lbs. Anybody have any information about that?

Love to camp and explore!
I called bike rack dealers and Winnie and they advised against a rack on the bumper, it is pretty flimsy metal.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

I'd have to go out and review the manual, as I do every time I use the tv, to figure out how to do the sound. Sorry I'm not more help, I will be when I'm on the road again this winter.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsandy View Post
Thank you for your response. We are hoping a few more 2108 owners will share their experience so far. There are so many things to think about and consider when buying an rv. We really need to have some fun and enjoy life and want to make sure we pick the right RV to help us do that. Have you had any problems with yours so far?

Jim
The couch design is bad, the internal structure is a tubular steel frame with plastic strapping wrapped around it as a support. The strapping will break and Winnie has no fix other than a new identical frame.Other than that we are very happy with the 2108DS design and construction.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Couch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsandy View Post
Thank you for your response. We are hoping a few more 2108 owners will share their experience so far. There are so many things to think about and consider when buying an rv. We really need to have some fun and enjoy life and want to make sure we pick the right RV to help us do that. Have you had any problems with yours so far?

Jim
The couch design is bad, the internal structure is a tubular steel frame with plastic strapping wrapped around it as a support. The strapping will break and Winnie has no fix other than a new identical frame.Other than that we are very happy with the 2108DS design and construction.

Tags
advice