Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

93 Vectra - trailer wiring problem

Greetings all-
We have had our 93 vectra for a bit over a year but have not needed to tow with it until now. I have a ski boat with the typical 4pin flat connector and the Vectra has a 6pin round. Now the problem begins:

I bought two different adaptors thinking they would be an easy plug-n-play. They each resulted in giving me running lights and both left/right turn signals appropriately. No brake lights on the trailer, but they work perfectly on the MH.

When I start probing for voltage, I traced the wiring back from the 6 round to 6 square (48" away)

it appears that I have a wire each for left turn, right turn, running, ground, brake, and perhaps backup. My dilemma is this- when I tie the unique brake wire from the MH to the trailer turn signal circuit, it works just fine, lighting up the trailer lights. unfortunately, the adaptor doesn't "capture" this fifth wire or route it to the turn signal filaments. If I simply tie it in with the already connected turn circuit, when I trigger either turn signal it then activates both and it looks like the hazards are flashing. I thought that the brake circuit on the adaptor might have a diode that would prevent this, and shunt the brake power appropriately bu not such luck. I have also wondered if there is a flasher/relay isssue but it seems that would prevent the MH turn/brake lights from working properly.

Any suggestions? Of course, trying to get this sorted so we can leave for vaca!
Thx
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Itasca Meridian 36G

It sounds like your problem is the trailer is L turn, R turn, tail and gnd. The MH has L turn, R turn, brakes, tail and gnd. You need an adapter that converts the brake on the MH to turn on the the trailer. Most auto part store should have those. You may have to wire it in to a new socket.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Itasca Meridian 36G

Also confirm 6 pole connector. Are you saying it is 5 poles round with the sixth in the center or is it 6 blades around with 7th in the center. There are both styles out there. You don't see the 6 pole around much

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
It sounds like your problem is the trailer is L turn, R turn, tail and gnd. The MH has L turn, R turn, brakes, tail and gnd. You need an adapter that converts the brake on the MH to turn on the the trailer. Most auto part store should have those. You may have to wire it in to a new socket.
correct, that's the problem
I have tried each adaptor they have with no success. The adaptor only connects to 4 on the MH, not sensing the brakes
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
Also confirm 6 pole connector. Are you saying it is 5 poles round with the sixth in the center or is it 6 blades around with 7th in the center. There are both styles out there. You don't see the 6 pole around much

Good luck.
Correct again, five poles round with a sixth in the center.
I WISH It was the 7 blade setup, but I suppose that's what comes from buying a '93
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

ok, went back to basic ee.

I routed a diode from the brake line to each turn signal, inside the MH plug. Problem solved!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hello from Dan.
Our vectra has seperate turn and stop lights..
our toad has flat 4 with combined stop and trun.
no problem.
I have 2 fixes.
Type 1, uses chassis lights to "signal" relays what to do and totally isolates toad lights from chassis lights. ( but requires power source )

Type 2, uses chassis power to power toad lights..

I use #1.. works very well. 8-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer plug.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	42677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan-3relay1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	42678  

Click image for larger version