Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

30RLSS fresh water tank won't fill

30RLSS fresh water tank won't fill. When I try to add water to the fresh water tank it just runs down the side of the TT. I have been getting water into the yank by way of the city tank switch. by putting the switch to tank and hooking the supply hose to the city water connection. This works but I never know when tank is full. We have only had the TT out twice since we got it and the first time the tank was full from the dealer.
Is it ok to keep filling this way until I can get it back to the dealer?
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's fine to fill the tank with the City/Tank switch - that's exactly what it's for.
I would expect that there is an overflow on the tank, and when it's completely full that water will come out the overflow - which will likely drain out somewhere underneath the RV. OR you can take the cap off your gravity fill and the water can come out that way. Though it's curious why the water won't go IN that way.

I use the City/Tank valve on mine to fill my tank. So that I don't over-pressure the tank I always fill mine with faucet running slowly (about 1/4 of the pressure/flow that's available from the spigot). This way I'm sure that I'm not putting water into the tank faster than the relatively small overflow hose can let out. I learned this (the hard way) but putting water into a tank on a boat full force from the hose - ended up splitting that tank because it bulged due to pressure build up.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
30RLSS fresh water tank won't fill. When I try to add water to the fresh water tank it just runs down the side of the TT. I have been getting water into the yank by way of the city tank switch. by putting the switch to tank and hooking the supply hose to the city water connection. This works but I never know when tank is full. We have only had the TT out twice since we got it and the first time the tank was full from the dealer.
Is it ok to keep filling this way until I can get it back to the dealer?
The gravity fill fresh water hose is blocked. If this is a new RV then probably the factory messed up on attaching the hose.

If you bought a used RV then, try running a 1/4" or 3/8" plastic hose down the gravity fill and see if you can dislodge a blockage.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I will give that a try before I take it back to the dealer. My dealer is about 2 hours from me so I take care of things myself when I can.
Thanks for the Idea
Old 03-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks I will give that a try before I take it back to the dealer. My dealer is about 2 hours from me so I take care of things myself when I can.
Thanks for the Idea
I looked at Winnebagos at three different dealers. When one of them found out that I bought elsewhere their service manager sent an email offering to service my trailer if I ever had issues. Neither dealer has particularly good ratings on Yelp, and both are about equal distance, but I thought that a nice offer.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I think it’s blocked too. How about an engine scope down the pipe? Harbour freight or borrow from someone.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have have tried the Harbor freight scope but it is not long enough. I filled it the other day with the city tank valve and it belched air through the tank fill. So it is not completely blocked. Before filling I put my scope in as far as it would go and there was still water in the tube that goes to the tank.
Now I am wondering if there is a one way valve that would let water in and not come out. And could it be in reversed ??
Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Not familiar with your unit, but on mine I can remove one panel and see the top part of the tank. It's purposefully easy to get to because as part of the "heated" tanks thing the air from the furnace area passes through.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have not found any way to get to the tank other than dropping the belly of the trailer in the area of the tank. If I have to do that I will take it to the dealer.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have have tried the Harbor freight scope but it is not long enough. I filled it the other day with the city tank valve and it belched air through the tank fill. So it is not completely blocked. Before filling I put my scope in as far as it would go and there was still water in the tube that goes to the tank.
Now I am wondering if there is a one way valve that would let water in and not come out. And could it be in reversed ??
I have never heard of a valve in the gravity fill tube for the fresh water tank. If there is, it should be identified in the owners manual.

Since you see water in the fill tube before it reaches the tank, then it really seems like the fill tube is blocked. Although I can't explain why there would be air coming out, but not allowing the water to at least slowly drain through a partially blocked tube.
Some RV's have a small air release tube in addition to the large gravity fill tube. If you have the air release tube, you will see a small (about 1/2" to 3/4") hole inside the door to the gravity fill tube.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks I will check for that.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water