Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
3 water line broke in less than 4 weeks on new 2108FBS

Wanted your opinion since we are 1st RV peoples.

Bought a brand new 2108FBS that was delivered at the dealer last fall. We put the deposit on April 28th and took possession on May 20th.


From 5-7 PM on the 12th of June the cold water line started to piss under the oven. Since we were leaving the fallowing week and the 7 days quarantine procedure at my dealer they gave me the part and I fix it myself!


On June 23rd the hot water line under the fridge busted a the T connection and with the help of the 1-800 Winnebago hot line they explain how to bypass the hot water and everything was fine. The next morning the when I got out I had a beautiful waterfall under the trailer.

All theses issues in less than 5 week of ownership, should I request them to to exchange the trailer? Should I reach out to Winnebago customer service?

Several peoples were saying to upgrade to rigid insulation but where doe the water go take when this happen? I would not water stay trap under the belie and make it worst!

Https://youtu.be/Q22rl5bGpKw
Gate68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 86
A couple of questions for you. Did you have the camper connected to an external water source? If so, what was the water pressure? Do you have a pressure regulator on your external water source? RV water lines should not have more than about 55psi of pressure to be safe. What part did you replace and how did it fail - was it cracked, gasket damaged, slipped off the hose?
__________________
2003 Itasca Sunova 30B towing a
2010 Cadillac SRX
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Kansas
Posts: 86
Most likely reasons for these problems are 1) the water lines froze in cold weather, 2) the water lines were subject to excessive pressure, or 3) some type of part or assembly defect. I would guess that #3 is really not that likely.
__________________
2003 Itasca Sunova 30B towing a
2010 Cadillac SRX
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M
 
mcfflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 47
I was wondering if it could have been over-winter water line freeze damage too.
__________________
Lee H
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M
1978 18í Rear Bath Dodge Cruise Master
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
I don't get the suggestion of ridged insulation. Assuming it was new and picked up in May it hasn't been in freezing weather. Do you have any reason to believe water was put into the unit before you got it?

I would agree with the pressure regulator comments if it was connected to city water somewhere.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I don't get the suggestion of ridged insulation. Assuming it was new and picked up in May it hasn't been in freezing weather. Do you have any reason to believe water was put into the unit before you got it?

I would agree with the pressure regulator comments if it was connected to city water somewhere.
It was at the dealer from October to 20th of May!
Gate68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Most likely reasons for these problems are 1) the water lines froze in cold weather, 2) the water lines were subject to excessive pressure, or 3) some type of part or assembly defect. I would guess that #3 is really not that likely.

The assumption of the Mobile unit repair that came to do the initial repaired said it was probably bad winterizing! Yes I always had the the Camco 40-50 PSI on the intakes.

Unfortunately I paid for a brand new unit that will go get repair next week at my dealer!
Gate68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 19
I replace one of the elbow that was leaking on the 12th of June! and the other one broke after being connected over 4 days at campground! Someone from Winnebago Customer service is suppose to call me.

I know the wet insulation will need to be change but several peoples are upgrading to rigid insulation or mildew insulation. Was wondering it was worth it or the downside of it.
Gate68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sarnia, ON
Posts: 2
Blog Entries: 1
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate68 View Post
Wanted your opinion since we are 1st RV peoples.

Bought a brand new 2108FBS that was delivered at the dealer last fall. We put the deposit on April 28th and took possession on May 20th.


From 5-7 PM on the 12th of June the cold water line started to piss under the oven. Since we were leaving the fallowing week and the 7 days quarantine procedure at my dealer they gave me the part and I fix it myself!


On June 23rd the hot water line under the fridge busted a the T connection and with the help of the 1-800 Winnebago hot line they explain how to bypass the hot water and everything was fine. The next morning the when I got out I had a beautiful waterfall under the trailer.

All theses issues in less than 5 week of ownership, should I request them to to exchange the trailer? Should I reach out to Winnebago customer service?

Several peoples were saying to upgrade to rigid insulation but where doe the water go take when this happen? I would not water stay trap under the belie and make it worst!

Https://youtu.be/Q22rl5bGpKw
We bought a 2020 2108FBS also and the first thing we looked at was the water pipes since we had a leak. The water pipes under the fridge were just fitted together and not glued, so we fixed that ourselves. There was a small leak on the hot water tank valve under the bathroom sink and also the water drain behind the steps had a small leak. So I would check all the joints to see if they were just fitted together and not glued. We took our trailer back where we bought it and they tighten everything up and replaced the plastic water drain valve with a metal fitting. Everthing seems good now.
Miss Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bayport, NY
Posts: 37
A Reminder

This may be a good time to chime in with a reminder and a bit of advice for newbies. We ALWAYS shut the water off at the post while camping when we leave the RV even for a little while. You just never know and donít need to come home to an indoor swimming pool.
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:39 AM   #11
Site Team
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
This may be a good time to chime in with a reminder and a bit of advice for newbies. We ALWAYS shut the water off at the post while camping when we leave the RV even for a little while. You just never know and donít need to come home to an indoor swimming pool.
Tony, in 20-years of camping with 5 different RVs I have never once shut off the water when leaving the RV as you suggested. And Iíve never known any other RVer to do this either.

So, I would not agree that newbies need to be aware of this practice of yours.

Turn the water off at night before a freeze, sure. Put the awning in before leaving the RV in case of wind, yes. But turn off the water? No never.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyOIB View Post
This may be a good time to chime in with a reminder and a bit of advice for newbies. We ALWAYS shut the water off at the post while camping when we leave the RV even for a little while. You just never know and don’t need to come home to an indoor swimming pool.
Thank you--I'd never thought of that before. Good advice.

Probably also a good idea to always turn on the water slowly. Even with copper pipe in a home that's a good idea.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
theSane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Lee View Post
We bought a 2020 2108FBS also and the first thing we looked at was the water pipes since we had a leak. The water pipes under the fridge were just fitted together and not glued, so we fixed that ourselves. There was a small leak on the hot water tank valve under the bathroom sink and also the water drain behind the steps had a small leak. So I would check all the joints to see if they were just fitted together and not glued. We took our trailer back where we bought it and they tighten everything up and replaced the plastic water drain valve with a metal fitting. Everthing seems good now.
The lines were standard PVC rather than PEX? I thought I had a bad PEX fitting on our last trip, but it turned out the nylon hose was connected to the sink fitting with a loose hose clamp. A few thousand miles of road jostling had enabled the nylon hose to slip down a little. Pushed it back on and tightened up the clamp to resolve the issue.
__________________
-- I must be the last optimist on the planet
2018 Winnebago Intent 31P
Roadmaster anti-sway bar Front/Rear, Safe-T-Plus, SumoSprings-Front/Rear
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner
 
GaryS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toe-puke-ah, Kansas
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Tony, in 20-years of camping with 5 different RVs I have never once shut off the water when leaving the RV as you suggested. And Iíve never known any other RVer to do this either.

So, I would not agree that newbies need to be aware of this practice of yours.

Turn the water off at night before a freeze, sure. Put the awning in before leaving the RV in case of wind, yes. But turn off the water? No never.
Well said!
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Another thread brought me to this conclusion. I think the OP should check with their state's DOL to see if they were sold a used RV. One that wasn't Winterized properly.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Tony, in 20-years of camping with 5 different RVs I have never once shut off the water when leaving the RV as you suggested. And I’ve never known any other RVer to do this either.

So, I would not agree that newbies need to be aware of this practice of yours. r.
I think they should be aware of it so that they can make their own decisions as to whether to be safe or sorry. I usually choose safe when it doesn't involve much effort.

I know people who turn off their house water whenever they leave town. I also know someone who didn't and ended up with a flooded basement and months of repairs while they lived elsewhere. It would have been worse but they did have a friend checking on the house who caught the problem when the water was only a couple of feet deep, and weeks before the owner would have returned.

I was also the only member of my group who still had a wallet after going for a swim at a state park.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner
 
GaryS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toe-puke-ah, Kansas
Posts: 101
Life is just one risk after another. To avoid them we could stay home and never go outside.

But then do whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Master
 
Goodspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Life is just one risk after another. To avoid them we could stay home and never go outside.
.
The point is to balance the risk against the cost of mitigating the risk. Rather obviously staying home would be a high cost to mitigate. No one is suggesting anything that absurd or extreme.

Personally I appreciate that advice to turn off the water when leaving the RV. I'd never heard it before, but I think it makes sense to do that rather than risk a ruined vacation when it would be relatively simple to mitigate that risk. Often you don't even have to bend over to turn off the water at an RV site. The cost to mitigate is low.

But again I would warn about turning the water on too quickly any time you turn the water on. That's just basic plumbing common sense. If you don't do that you could actually be increasing your risk somewhat.
__________________
2019 2106 DS
2019 Colorado Duramax
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 112
I also always turn off the water at the post when we leave the camper. Itís good advice.

I also use the fresh water tank/pump for the first trip each season (and occasionally thereafter) just so I can listen to the pump and make sure it isnít running more than needed. Frequent pump cycling without water usage can be a good indicator of a leak.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 59
Agree with TonyOIB. We learned the hard way camping at Fort Wilderness. Wondered why it rained only around our RV. Ha. A flood when we opened the door. Yes, pressure regulator was attached but didn't help with the flood. Spent an extra week ripping out insulation, air movers, etc. So, yes, we always turn our water off at the pedestal when leaving our RV. Also, we turn our house water off when leaving. My mother learned that the hard way too when she was out of town and her washing machine hose split. First floor of her house had to be gutted. Better safe than sorry in my opinion!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOR SALE: 2012 Sightseer 33C (in VA) 1 owner Less than 12,000 miles Well Maintained weluvss33c RV's and Tow Vehicles For Sale & Wanted 9 08-30-2019 03:41 PM
Slide moves out a bit than stops. Move in than ... 7997redtail General Maintenance and Repair 3 06-10-2019 04:02 PM
NEW Maxxair Deluxe Fan --- less flow than 14y/o Fantastic Fan rsieminski Heating, Cooling and Appliances 2 09-15-2018 06:21 AM
Last straw for the ďless-than-Ideal Rest mattress creativepart Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 22 04-19-2018 08:45 AM
No power (less than 1v) to trailer lights socket but motorhome rear lights are fine jgmeyer Winnebago Travel Trailers 8 08-20-2016 03:48 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×