Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2306BHS (Leak, condesation, other "Warranty") Thoughts?

We have owned our 2019 2306BHS now for just over a year. I wish I could tell you it has been problem free, but it hasn't been. We have had the HVAC replaced, the Furnace Repaired, The water heater board replaced twice, The tongue jack fixed twice, a trim issue where the slide wast catching on it repaired, and a few other smaller things.

Christmas, we went camping, and when we got to the site, I noticed that water was dripping from the rear near where the bunks are. (Not an area where there is much plumbing, but that's where the city water comes in.) It seemed like quite a bit of water. I sliced a bit in the belly fabric to see if water would come out, and it did about 2-3 cups worth. I felt, and the insulation was super damp. Ouch! I modified the back with a service hatch so I can see the pluming side of where the city water comes in, and it was dry. It wasn't coming from there. There was no water at all inside the camper, just underneath in the insulation and belly cloth.

The whole time we were there, I did not notice any more dipping or additional water.

When we got back, my wife called Winnebago, and because we had had more than our fair share of problems, they agreed to pay for the repair if the leak could be found, and it would have been something that would have been covered under warranty.

I took the camper to the dealer, knowing that I would have to pay out of pocket for a diagnosis. I feel they have been fair to us with the cost of $175.00; they spent a lot of time tracking down things.

Good News:
Plumbing is fine. Pressure tested no leaks.
No water leaks in usual places, (Sink, shower, toeliett, etc.)

Possible Not Great News:

There is a slight leak (If you call it that) in the freshwater pump check valve that has allowed water to get bypass and get into the fresh water tank and fill it up. Cycling the pump can stop the leak, but switching back and forth from city to freshwater tank water, the valve doesn't alway seat firmly.

There was a slight leak at the freshwater fill tube that a 1/4 turn on the hose clamp fixed.

But...the freshwater tank sits below where the water was found so even if there as a leak, it cant explain the water.

The plastic trim that covers the wheel well's caulking had seperated. It is possible that water was making it's way past that and getting into the belly. It was reinstalled and recaulked.

So Current Theories:

Condensation of some kind on that side of the trailer.
Wheel well sealant failure.
The water from the fresh water tank still found some way to make it to a place that doesn't seem logical.

Main Issue: We don't have a reliable diagnosis or repair stratigey. The dealer can't come up with a warranty repair issue from the symtoms.

What's next?

The dealer has two suggestions.

1. Call Winnebago and see what they tell me. Winnebago is saying to them they have not found a repairable warranty problem yet.

2.They suggest to just replace the insulation with foam board and call it good, hoping that it was condensation or the wheel well sealant.
Anthropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I called Winnebago back. So part of my issue is that the dealer and Winnebago have parted ways. The dealer is allowed to service what they sold, but they are no longer a Winnebago dealer. It feels like part of my issue is a "divorce" issue. Winnebago said that if I take it to another dealer and pay them for a diagnosis, and it is a problem that the original warranty would fix, they would cover it.

The problem is the dealer is over an hour and a half away, and a call to them did not give me any warm feelings. They were friendly, but I would have to take it down there leave it for a week or two, and I could have a few hundred dollars into their diagnostics. It might even be a problem they can't fix under warranty.

So.....i did an unspeakable thing. I decided to cut into the underbelly!

I'm glad I did. I first just sliced further into the side that had the water leaking. I could see some water staining. The good thing is its just a little staining. Wood is super stable, hard as a rock, and no visible mold growth. Glad they use plywood and not OSB for the subfloor. I then sliced into every part of that did not have the coroplast covering. Ouch, wet insulation! Most of the wetness was at the lowest point is in the belly fabric. Only the sides had any hint of water staining. And as you moved towards the center of the camper, there was no water staining.

Problem is whats under the belly fabric where the coroplast sits? I took off the stabilizer jacks in the back and got into the coroplast a little, just enough to look. Dry as a bone, but above the tanks is the belly fabric I can't get to and insulation. I can stick my hand over the frame in there (Belly fabric & insulation) a little, and the insulation feels dry. There are a few penetrations from inside I can get to, and when I feel there, it feels dry.

To do a proper job of checking, I would need to drop the axels and cut out the coroplast some. I don't have what I need to do that. Guess that's where you pay the few hundred dollars to have it checked out.

Questions:

Since everything feels dry, there is no water staining as you go inward, should I let it go and feel ok?

Do you feel the theory of water getting in because of the wheel well trim and wheel wells not being sealed well was a good theory, and that was the most logical problem?

Last, what should be my next steps?

Here is what I am thinking.

1. Use 1 1/2" XPS Foam Board to fill in the voids where the insulation was. It doesn't wick water and should provide protection for the plywood above incase of further moisture issues. I will cut it to fit and glue it to the underside. I will then seal the edges with silicon.

2. I will temporarily tape the fabric back to the foamboard and eventually replace that with coroplast. I would do it now, but I can't find any black coroplast in my area, and white doesn't seem as attractive to me as black.

3. I will further look for areas to seal or might need sealing. The dealer resealed the trim and said they put sealant where it seemed like they didn't use enough glue.

Do you see any major pitfalls here?
Anything you would do differently?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I completed the job. It was certainly and ordeal. It didn't quite go as planned. I went with 1 1/2" XPS rigid foam board. In most places, it seemed to work well; on others, there were areas where there wasn't quite a 1 1/2" clearance. I did the best I could. I decided not to use the glue in case it needed to come out someday. There were a lot of extra "mistake" holes underneath there. Places they drilled and or put in a screw that they didn't use or seal up at the factory and didn't use. Overall I saw no water damage to anything. Just some water staining on the belly fabric and a little on a few spots of plywood. I also reinspected all my sealant. It all looks fine to me. The dealer said it was fine when they looked, but I did it again. I probably have been more upset about this than I should be, but I want to use my camper for many happy years. I think it boils down to the fact that I can't tell you for sure my issue is fixed. No plumbing issue, No roof issue. Dealer thought it might be the wheel well trim and a poor glue job on the wheel well. I'll go with that. I'm going to look at the wheel well with fresh eyes later to see if there are any areas I could seal that would make me feel better.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropod View Post
We have owned our 2019 2306BHS now for just over a year. I wish I could tell you it has been problem free, but it hasn't been. We have had the HVAC replaced, the Furnace Repaired, The water heater board replaced twice, The tongue jack fixed twice, a trim issue where the slide wast catching on it repaired, and a few other smaller things.

Christmas, we went camping, and when we got to the site, I noticed that water was dripping from the rear near where the bunks are. (Not an area where there is much plumbing, but that's where the city water comes in.) It seemed like quite a bit of water. I sliced a bit in the belly fabric to see if water would come out, and it did about 2-3 cups worth. I felt, and the insulation was super damp. Ouch! I modified the back with a service hatch so I can see the pluming side of where the city water comes in, and it was dry. It wasn't coming from there. There was no water at all inside the camper, just underneath in the insulation and belly cloth.

The whole time we were there, I did not notice any more dipping or additional water.

When we got back, my wife called Winnebago, and because we had had more than our fair share of problems, they agreed to pay for the repair if the leak could be found, and it would have been something that would have been covered under warranty.

I took the camper to the dealer, knowing that I would have to pay out of pocket for a diagnosis. I feel they have been fair to us with the cost of $175.00; they spent a lot of time tracking down things.

Good News:
Plumbing is fine. Pressure tested no leaks.
No water leaks in usual places, (Sink, shower, toeliett, etc.)

Possible Not Great News:

There is a slight leak (If you call it that) in the freshwater pump check valve that has allowed water to get bypass and get into the fresh water tank and fill it up. Cycling the pump can stop the leak, but switching back and forth from city to freshwater tank water, the valve doesn't alway seat firmly.

There was a slight leak at the freshwater fill tube that a 1/4 turn on the hose clamp fixed.

But...the freshwater tank sits below where the water was found so even if there as a leak, it cant explain the water.

The plastic trim that covers the wheel well's caulking had seperated. It is possible that water was making it's way past that and getting into the belly. It was reinstalled and recaulked.

So Current Theories:

Condensation of some kind on that side of the trailer.
Wheel well sealant failure.
The water from the fresh water tank still found some way to make it to a place that doesn't seem logical.

Main Issue: We don't have a reliable diagnosis or repair stratigey. The dealer can't come up with a warranty repair issue from the symtoms.

What's next?

The dealer has two suggestions.

1. Call Winnebago and see what they tell me. Winnebago is saying to them they have not found a repairable warranty problem yet.

2.They suggest to just replace the insulation with foam board and call it good, hoping that it was condensation or the wheel well sealant.

***YOUR WATER PUMP needs to be replaced because of that faulty check-valve. WARRANTY REPAIR **** If I understood correctly it is causing water to be diverted into the fresh water tank from city water...

Could the water be telemarking its way down from a window or joint in the external walls or roof. Water travels long distances and can follow wire, framing, pipes etc etc.

Best of luck to ya, glad to hear that bago is not being too much of pain in the back!!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had a problem with water leak under trailer the first time out with our 2020 30rlss. I videoed the water dripping to show the dealer. I left it with them for about 2 weeks and they dropped they belly they had a terrible time finding the leak but as a last resort ran water in the shower and that is were they found a cracked shower drain. I am very happy that my dealer stuck with it and found the leak.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just an update. So...for months I have been checking diligently for any sign of moisture in the underbelly. I had not seen any signs. We just had a hurricane. Inside, The only moisture I could see came in at a window that has had issues with wind-driven rain in the past, it was about a tablespoon of water. But...I checked the underbelly. Over by the slide, there was obviously some water behind the fabric, and it was dripping a bit. Poking a hole...about 1/2 cup of water came out. I looked around at a lot of other spots, and that was the only thing I found. I could chalk it up to the hurricane and wind-driven rain..but it bothers me greatly. Did it come from the slide? I have looked at my seals... looked at caulking, I really have given it a once over. Can't figure it out. My camper seems to provide me more stress than enjoyment. I would love to trade it in and start over... I know all campers have problems from time to time, but this one has let me down too many times.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Just an update. So...for months I have been checking diligently for any sign of moisture in the underbelly. I had not seen any signs. We just had a hurricane. Inside, The only moisture I could see came in at a window that has had issues with wind-driven rain in the past, it was about a tablespoon of water. But...I checked the underbelly. Over by the slide, there was obviously some water behind the fabric, and it was dripping a bit. Poking a hole...about 1/2 cup of water came out. I looked around at a lot of other spots, and that was the only thing I found. I could chalk it up to the hurricane and wind-driven rain..but it bothers me greatly. Did it come from the slide? I have looked at my seals... looked at caulking, I really have given it a once over. Can't figure it out. My camper seems to provide me more stress than enjoyment. I would love to trade it in and start over... I know all campers have problems from time to time, but this one has let me down too many times.

BEWARE of the leaking window. The water from there may be dripping and sliding all over the place including between the wall membranes. Before you know it delamination will be popping out the panels and such. Best to fix that pronto and hope for the best.

RV ownership is like S&M and well paid for too! Hey that has a nice ring to it eh.

The RV bucket of parts assemblers really do not care once the unit leaves the factory, the dealer won't even fix any glaring QC issues until the unit is sold big cue there don't let it drop on your toes... same goes for used rigs, they park em and say they will fix once its sold to YOU! But hey we love the S&M dole out the cash and keep going back! The addiction is too strong. I know tried to quit several times bet end up back at the dealer begging for more torture!!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
RDP
Utah 2306BHS

I have a 2020 2306BHS with a similar issue, small amount clear (not gray or black) water dripping in the area of the black tank drain, sometimes through the spray foam around the black tank drain pipe. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and could not repeat the problem. It has not leaked for a month. No rain in a month. The sealant on the wheel well covers need the caulking replaced too!
RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

1. I just got back from a camping trip. 1/2 way in, the AC went south, again. Uggg! I went and bought a portable unit and got us through the rest of the trip. 2. The moisture in the underbelly. I may have a theory, and I spent a lot of time looking at my camper in the rain. I now think it might be related to the natural dripline and the staple holes in the belly fabric. So I see the water come down the side it seems to flow across the bottom trim some and flow to the belly fabric. Since the belly fabric has some holes from the stapes, I can see where that might be an issue. IF that is the case, then it's possible its not a giant deal as I did pull out all the fluffy factory insulation and replaced it with ridged non-wicking. Right now though, we are debating getting a different camper.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
1. I just got back from a camping trip. 1/2 way in, the AC went south, again. Uggg! I went and bought a portable unit and got us through the rest of the trip. 2. The moisture in the underbelly. I may have a theory, and I spent a lot of time looking at my camper in the rain. I now think it might be related to the natural dripline and the staple holes in the belly fabric. So I see the water come down the side it seems to flow across the bottom trim some and flow to the belly fabric. Since the belly fabric has some holes from the stapes, I can see where that might be an issue. IF that is the case, then it's possible its not a giant deal as I did pull out all the fluffy factory insulation and replaced it with ridged non-wicking. Right now though, we are debating getting a different camper.
I suppose you could test your theory by dribbling a little water down the side at those spots once everything has dried out thoroughly. Regarding the AC, I'm curious if you're using a surge protector that can detect low voltage at the pedestal? Was this the same campground at which the AC died previously? Or do you think the electronics are just getting pummeled to death by the rigid suspension? I can't blame you for wanting to get a different camper.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I suppose you could test your theory by dribbling a little water down the side at those spots once everything has dried out thoroughly. Regarding the AC, I'm curious if you're using a surge protector that can detect low voltage at the pedestal? Was this the same campground at which the AC died previously? Or do you think the electronics are just getting pummeled to death by the rigid suspension? I can't blame you for wanting to get a different camper.
I might try the dribble test.:-) Sadly, I have just had it with my perceived issue. I have spent hundreds of dollars and hours and hours of my time chasing and modding. I do have a surge protector, but it does not have low voltage. It sounds like a good idea to get one. I don't think low voltage was the problem. It was not the same campground, though. Now rigid suspension? Totally possible. The problem acts like low refrigerant. Same issue as the unit before. Started freezing up. Then stopped cooling. When it was new, it could keep the camper 72 on a 90-degree day, more than meeting my expectations. I am going to find the paperwork; it may still be under warranty from Dometic. Where to take it will be the next issue. The dealer we purchased our camper from had a bad "Divorce" from Winnebago, and I felt they took it out on us. I know many folks can work with Dometic, so I will call around. I need to get it fixed before I trade it in. I know a new camper will have problems from time to time. It would just be nice to have a fresh start, a nice dealership that can provide nice service, and a sewer drain high enough that if I stay at a place with no sewer hookup, I can use my honey wagon for the greywater without doing a slinky dance to get the water into it. If we do get rid of it, it will make me a little sad... I have poured a lot of myself into it making it better.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Speaking of the slinky dance... was your trailer built with the "off road" package (increased ground clearance)?
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
Speaking of the slinky dance... was your trailer built with the "off road" package (increased ground clearance)?
It was not lifted. The sad thing is it had everything needed to lift it without purchasing anything. The brackets and the extra bolts are on the camper. The dealer said they were not equipped to do suspension work. I asked for any technical documents they could provide like bolt torque etc. They said they would get that for me. They never did.

I did reseal the window properly a couple of days after my post on the 12th. Glad I did. There was no moisture damage at all, but I could see why it leaked when there was wind-driven hurricane style rain. It was sealed with some foam weather stripping, and the window was put in off-center. I used butyl tape and a lot of it, along with the proper sealant.

Wednesday this week, we said goodbye to "Shelly". We have purchased a new camper. I want to stress that many of our headaches came from our dealership and our dealership's divorce from Winnebago. Perhaps if they had fixed some of our problems correctly the first time, did a better pre-delivery inspection, and had a good relationship with Winnebago, we would still have her in our driveway.

While I am no longer a Winnebago owner, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all your support and great information over the last two years.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the response. I wish you the best of luck with the new camper.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation, leak, repair, water damage