Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2301BHS with Expedition

Hey all,
Brand new to the forums and just shopping around for an RV. After renting a Class A and doing plenty of cabin camping, my family fell in love with the idea of getting our own rig.

I have been doing plenty of research but would appreciate input from all you experienced RVers. So here goes.

The 2301BHS seems like the perfect trailer for us because it meets several wants and needs including bunks and outdoor kitchen with sink. I'd like to tow it with a 2021 Expedition but wanted to hear everyone's real world experience.

The 2301BHS has the following specs:
Dry weight: ~6160
Hitch Weight: 660
GWVR: 8800
Length: 29'9"

The Expedition has the following specs:
Max Trailer Weight: 9200
GCWR: 15,500
Max Tongue Weight: 930
Payload Capacity: 1757

We are a family of 4. I can't imagine loading the trailer up to the full 8800 but I know propane, batteries, and cargo will push my hitch weight up. I know I would need a weight distribution hitch.

From my understanding the 2301BHS should work with an Expedition. What do you think? How will the expedition handle the trailer? Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
rich0014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

We towed a 25’ 5800 lb Arctic Fox TT for years using an Expedition EL with a factory tow package. It worked great but when we wanted to get a bigger TT we knew we could not get a TT over 7800 lbs without changing to something large for a tow vehicle.

The long wheelbase Expedition was an important part of making the towing safe and comfortable. I would not tow a 25’ TT with the short wheelbase Expedition.

The Expedition is basically a F150, but with less towing capacity.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

SUV sticker payloads can be deceptive. Upgraded trim usually not reflected in sticker payload. Plus, there’s a tendency to throw a lot of junk in the trunk. Before you make a decision, it may be worthwhile to load up the Expedition as you would for a camping trip, and CAT scale it. Or you can go empty, scale it, then weigh everything you put in it. When we were young and stupid, we tried towing a 26ft TT with a Wagoneer. What a disaster. TV might have been up to it if it weren’t loaded with kids, dogs, camp gear, and the kitchen sink.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich0014 View Post
Hey all,
Brand new to the forums and just shopping around for an RV. After renting a Class A and doing plenty of cabin camping, my family fell in love with the idea of getting our own rig.

I have been doing plenty of research but would appreciate input from all you experienced RVers. So here goes.

The 2301BHS seems like the perfect trailer for us because it meets several wants and needs including bunks and outdoor kitchen with sink. I'd like to tow it with a 2021 Expedition but wanted to hear everyone's real world experience.

The 2301BHS has the following specs:
Dry weight: ~6160
Hitch Weight: 660
GWVR: 8800
Length: 29'9"

The Expedition has the following specs:
Max Trailer Weight: 9200
GCWR: 15,500
Max Tongue Weight: 930
Payload Capacity: 1757

We are a family of 4. I can't imagine loading the trailer up to the full 8800 but I know propane, batteries, and cargo will push my hitch weight up. I know I would need a weight distribution hitch.

From my understanding the 2301BHS should work with an Expedition. What do you think? How will the expedition handle the trailer? Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

It'll all work. I pull my 27RBDS with an older 2010 Expy just fine. Strange how the 2301BH is 30' in length. My 27 is 30' as well, with the 3' from the tongue and frame. Wonder where that 6' goes on the 23?

Any whoo. Payload is your limit and enemy in this set up. When you say family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids? How big? It's the adding up of payload to pay attention to. Adding the tongue weight (real weight, not mfg listed), passengers and cargo and making sure you don't go over. It's a struggle with Expeditions, but very doable.

Do you have the Expy already? The 1757 is listed on the door jam? That's a very high cargo number, if you do see that it's pretty darn good. And generally means you have a lower trim Expy, minus all the bells and whistles which add weight and lower payload.

Here's my thoughts on your request:

• That Expy is very capable to pull that trailer as long as you don't go over payload.
  • You'll need to learn how to use a CAT scale if you don't already know. You'll learn your true tongue weight, and what your typical payload is. 3-4 pass method. Learn it through and through.
  • You'll need a Weight Distribution Hitch really dialed in. That's where the CAT scale numbers will help tremendously.
  • You'll need to pack smart to keep tongue weight in the correct range. Meaning since you'll be most likely near the payload and tongue weight limits you'll want to pack with moving heavy items within the trailer over the axles, and out of the forward compartment. After learning your weights on a trip to the scale loaded like going on a trip you'll be able to see about moving things around, seeing if you need to lighten up. In my case, I put my trailer on a diet. I ditched the twin 30lb propane tanks that came with the camper and now go with just one 20lb (unless winter). I put camp chairs in camper under dinette. I ditched the heavy 30lb Coleman Roadtrip grill for a 8lb smaller grill, etc. Those weights add up quick and will push your tongue weight up in no time. It's a process to get it all dialed in. It took me a good 2 years of trips till I had it just right. But now it tows great.
  • You can beef up the Expy to make it even better at towing. Front/Rear sway bar upgrades, sumo spring spacers in rear, and air up the tires to max PSI on trips. And the dialed in WDH and your good to go.
Like I said, the Expy is a great tow vehicle. It just has a learning curve to figure it all out. But that size trailer is definitely doable with that Expy.