Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2106ds furniture shred

We have a gently used 2106DS micro Minnie Both of our couches’ upholstery is delaminating /shredding. Does anyone else have this issue? What should we replace the couches with. They are both in really bad shape.
davemarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked into getting them reupholstered locally?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I've got a tri-fold couch that came in my 2015 Ultralite that is falling apart. The fau-leather or vynil is completely trashed. Like splitting open and degrading. Was attributing it to the very high heat and humidity here in the south especially while under cover that I put on it. But the same type material is on our dinette table and those cushions look just fine.

I did some preliminary homework on recovering versus buying new and most resources I read said it's cheaper to buy a new one than to have it recovered.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Found out that this is an industry wide problem with material out of China. Why isn’t the industry dealing with this problem? Why are so many of us paying to reupholster or replace things that are due to poor workmanship?
Me302cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I hear the complaint and I do agree but then I also find it is just a factor of free enterprise. When demand stays up and it makes more profit, there is little business reason to cut profit. Often the decision is simple. Just do more adverts!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Updating on my situation, my couch is 64" but most of the replacements from Thomas Payne I see are either 62" or 68". I ended up ordering one off of Amazon that is 62" figuring it's just 2" inches, but when I got the couch the sleeping area of the pull-out is 5" smaller in width. This will not work, two adults could no longer sleep there.

Now I'm back to recovering the original and will send the one from Amazon back. I'm waiting on some fabric samples from https://rvfabric.com/ that from what I gather looks like they are in the same area that Winnies are made and may be the match in fabric as well. Their prices seem pretty reasonable. The couch will be made more "simple" to keep costs down. Less fancy stitching, elimination of some arm-rest pillows. Labor so far is around $600-$700.

But both of the upholsterers I had look at the couch suggested perhaps going with a more durable fabric, one even suggesting marine grade stuff. Micro-fiber and suede was also mentioned. I'm probably going to stick with the original but still debating.