Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2022, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2100BH Tow Vehicles

Just wondering what tow vehicles are being used to tow the 2100BH. I have a 22 model that I tow with a 2019 GMC Canyon 2.8 Diesel with a Andersen WDH. The Canyon pulls well; however I'm exceeding my front and rear axle capacity rather significantly when the water tanks are full. Some mechanic and very experienced RV people tell me not to worry about it. However, being a bit OCD it "nags" at me. Sometimes I think I need a big truck or a smaller camper. Just wondering what others are using to tow their 2100BHs.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Team

As the saying goes, "you can never have too much truck."

If you are overweight and you know it, and you have an accident towing the weight issue is going to be a problem for you to defend.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I’m towing our 2021 2108ds with a 2021 Canyon 3.6L gasser. In one hand, I would have preferred the diesel. On the other hand, the diesel has less payload than the gasser, and I’m right at the limit for rear GAWR and GVWR. We’ve towed comfortable for about 16 weeks out of the 18 months of ownership. That includes interstate mountain grades, which the Canyon handles well uphill, but downhill requires rapt attention to gearing down at 50mph, as the gasser does not have the diesel’s compression braking.

I am very conscious of truck and trailer loading balance, as I’ve found things to get a little squirrely if there’s not enough weight on the tongue. With too much weight on the tongue, I’m over my rear GVWR and induce squat. So, I try to carry only light stuff in the truck bed, heavier stuff in the pass thru, and travel with 1/2 tank of fresh water. Really important to empty waste tanks before travel, as they are behind the axles.

We only bought the Canyon because we could not manuever the Micro Minnie onto our property with a half ton. Just too much wheelbase, and hence much wider turning radius. We can barely get the rig up our steep, twisty one-lane mountain drive. Then, once I get it to the top, I have to turn it around in a very confined space.

So, bottom line is the Canyon is a good tow vehicle for Micro Minnie’s, as long as you have a good properly adjusted WDH, balance the rig before travel, and get it CAT scaled, so you know exactly what your weights are. For most folks who aren’t restricted on truck length, I would urge them to opt for a 1/2 ton. I do not recommend exceeding any of your tow vehicle’s axle weight limits or GVWR.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jim, thanks for sharing your information. We have only use the camper for a short 3 day trip. Before leaving town, we had the Canyon weighed with me, wife and small dog and trailer with full tanks. The rear axle weight was 540 pounds over weight and the front 140 over weight. Everything else was within limits of the Canyon and the trailer. I expressed this concern to a RV mechanic with 30 years of experience and with a close mechanic friend. Both reported that the factory specs are significantly under-rated. My friend told me they tested the axle rating on several trucks where he worked with the results being that the axles could handle 1.5 times the factory rating. The factory axle capacity was significantly under-rated. Anyway, I purchased a tongue weight scale and will not carry much water while I'm towing on our next trip. What "bugs" me is why did GM build a truck that has a towing capacity of 7600 lbs but with weak axles. If I do buy another truck I very much doubt it will be a GM product.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had an F-350 (non-dually) diesel. It was wonderful for towing the Micro Minnie, but obviously not ideal as a daily driver.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE --- I hooked up the TT and went to the local CAT scale. This time without any water in the tanks and just me in my Canyon. This time before weighting I talked with the scale operator for specific instructions. She told me to place my TV front axle on the 1st square, the drive axle on the 2nd square, and the TT axles on the 3rd square. This I did and got totally different results. I'm well within my Canyon's towing capacities so my towing problem is solved. Do not need to purchase a new truck. Still, I would like to know what other 2100BH owners are using to tow their TT.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi Grogers,

Check out my post I did months ago. I had a gas Canyon and posted my CAT results. Interesting read.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cs-363028.html
Old 08-27-2022, 05:21 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers View Post
Still, I would like to know what other 2100BH owners are using to tow their TT.
Though not specific to the 2100BH, there is an extensive Micro Minnie Tow Vehicle thread here.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ie-360947.html
Old 08-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

F-150 hybrid. Payload of 1441lbs with 550lb tongue weight with a recurve3 WDH. While we do have to be careful of what we put in the bed, it’s been a great tow vehicle in many types of conditions as well as being a nice daily driver in town and highway.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everyone who has responded. With my tow vehicle and trailer pretty much empty the results were as follows:

Steer Axle 2580 (3200 cap)
Drive Axle 2920 (3500 cap)
Trailer Axles 3760 (5500 cap)

So I'm well within my limits; but even so on windy days I feel some sway. My payload is only 1316; wish it was more. However, my Canyon fits in my garage. A full size truck would not. There are times when I feel I need a bigger truck; other times I feel I will just keep what I got. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Glad you got it sorted out Grogers.
Hey, if the shoe fits, wear it. There will only be rare situations when you’ll be thinking, “I wish I had a bigger truck”. For us, we’ve never had those thoughts when it comes to power, even over steep mountain grades. The only times we wished for a bigger truck was in crosswinds over 30mph, where the Canyon’s shorter wheelbase compared to a 1/2 ton becomes noticeable. Sure, we wish we had more payload, but we can manage what we have with a little effort. 14,000 miles now, towing from Maine to Florida, to California, to Colorado, and all through the Blue Ridge mountains, and we have no regrets about our tow vehicle.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Marine359.
I appreciate your thread; it makes me feel better about my Canyon. Being a newcomer to this travel trailer business I never took into consideration PAYLOAD; all I thought about was my Canyon's towing capacity (7600 lbs). Anyway, thanks a lot for your threads. They help a lot.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Learn to really understand and use that CAT scale. Next trip, when loaded, do the same weigh. Do the weigh with front axle on one pad, rear axle on one pad and trailer axles on another. None numbers. Then redo the same thing with the Anderson disconnected. Note the numbers. The differences will tell you how much the Anderson is off-loading tongue weight onto your front axles and trailer axles. Helpful when fine tuning in your WDH setup. Do a third weigh with the both axles of the vehicle on a pad, the trailer jack on a pad, and the trailer axles on 3rd pad. This will give insight to the tongue weight. But I find using the data from the first two weighs will give you a better indication of the tongue weight. Finally, I like to do another weigh of just the truck loaded for trip, one axle on a pad each with no trailer to get an idea of what I"m dealing with.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Fasttimes for the information and suggestions. Gee, with all those weigh-ins I could almost purchase a good tongue weight scale. Anyway, I think my tongue weight is somewhere between 450-550. My truck is rated for up to 700. So I'm well with-in it's capacity. With the Andersen WDH truck and trailer are very level. So I think I'm okay even if I do not know my exact tongue weight. Have a good day.

Tags
tow