Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2100BH bunk stairs

Hi, just made these bunk stairs for my 5 yoa.
They are about 5ft in length 2x4s and the steps are 9 1/2 inches wide. Maybe not good for a large child or adult but seems much safer for my son.

I used no skid 3m tape on the steps and added a lock to the top left rail to keep the steps from sliding on the rail. I also checked that bathroom/oven/fridge doors will open without striking it. The top arms also latch onto the bunk rail with an angle iron attachment.

Edit: Would "ladder" be a better term?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3D5D3869-AD16-4E13-88B4-0762F2D97B04.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	174161  
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Very nice! I was just wondering why such a thing wasn't included, but I suppose in a couple of years you'll find the kids just monkey their way up there without any assistance!

Do you lash it down to the bed somehow when towing?

Todd
tinglett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Very nice! I was just wondering why such a thing wasn't included, but I suppose in a couple of years you'll find the kids just monkey their way up there without any assistance!

Do you lash it down to the bed somehow when towing?

Todd
It is sort of "hooked" onto the rail to prevent in and out movement and i have a slide bolt that goes into a hole i drilled to prevent side to side movement.

When towing, I just remove it and lay it on the bottom bunk, it has enough grip on the bedsheets that it doesnt budge. When I stop to camp I just hook it back on and slide the bolt in the hole

This last trip it was strong enough for my wife and I to step on it. My son really liked getting into and out of his bunk safely
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have a similar setup for our bunks and store/travel the same why. Why Winnie doesn’t include out of the gate is beyond kids were 5 when we bought the RV, there was NO way for them to get up there safely without a ladder.

We also added a rail to keep them from rolling out. Made out of PVC, held in by mattress when in use, stores on top of mattress when we are done.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've always wondered why that "wall" at the foot of the beds wasn't used as a ladder to the upper bunk. I considered a 2100BH and my thought was to modify the wall to include a ladder and an aperture to enter the upper bunk.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote